It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "support the war so you can have free speech" paradox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Even as a supporter of the Iraq War, I have to say the way of thinking driving the war is very much maligned.

This is just one of the few rhetorics the pro-war crowd throws out against those who do not support the war. This is the famous "Stop protesting and support the war/troops because that's how you have the right to say stupid things."

To put it very frankly, that specific line of rhetoric is a contradictory statement. If the order is to get people to stop protesting the war so our soldiers can give us the right to speak freely, then what reason do the people have to support the war to begin with? Then we'd be supporting the war in order to shut up and not speak freely. It makes no sense, that is true. Why? Because it's a paradox! Why would we be "fighting for the right" if the endgame is to not use those rights, rights that are not given to us but are part of us in the first place?

Any thoughts on this very maligned way of speaking?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
This is just one of the few rhetorics the pro-war crowd throws out against those who do not support the war. This is the famous "Stop protesting and support the war/troops because that's how you have the right to say stupid things."

You have a link to a source or article in which there is a reference to someone saying Stop protesting and support the war/troops because that's how you have the right to say stupid things," or is this something you may have heard mentioned? Cause quite frankly, I have been to a number of pro-war, support the troops rally's and to a number of anti-war rally's....never heard such said.

And to not upset you, but your support of the Iraq war is superficial:

originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Once that war begins, war has to be won, and that's where I change to a pro-war stance. For example, I was against the war in Iraq, but the moment it kicked off, I switched to a pro-war stance because it was out of my control and war has to be won, whether it was based on truth or lies.

Military opinions and war experience

Obviously, you will contest otherwise, but having been here going on 2 years plus, I find it ironic that you support the Iraqi War, I support it, and yet, we have never seen eye to eye over the Iraq War. Furthermore, your own topic commentary track record on the subject of the Iraq War further indicates that your support of the war is superficial. Maybe I am wrong here, if so, I do apologize. Just strange how two people can support the same war, yet in virtually every topic related to it that we have both commented within/on, neither of us have agreement...

seekerof

[edit on 10-12-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
there is a huge difference between supporting the war in iraq and supporting the troops. regardless of how you feel about the war, as an american, you should always support the troops. they are just doing the job assigned to them by the civilian government we have elected. if you have a problem with their assignment, take it to the government, but dont bash the troops.

new topics

join