It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Chinese Village Sealed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Residents of a village in Southern China are not being allowed to leave after soldiers fired into a crowd during a demonstration. It was estimated that up to 20 protestors were killed, but villagers say that dozens more are missing. The protest was started when compensation from the government for land taken to build a powerplant was inadequate. A Hong Kong newspaper has quoted villagers as saying that authorities were trying to cover up the killings by offering money for families to give up the bodies of the dead. One woman was quoted as saying that the police were holding the bodies of the dead and were refusing to give them back to their families.

www.cnn.com
BEIJING, China (AP) -- Residents of a southern Chinese village near Hong Kong where police opened fire on demonstrators described a tense standoff in the area on Saturday with thousands of armed troops patrolling the perimeter and blocking anyone from leaving.

Frightened villagers said they were either hunkering down at home or arguing with police who are refusing to return the dead to their families.

A Hong Kong newspaper quoted villagers accusing Chinese officials of trying to cover up the killings on Tuesday in Dongzhou, a village in Guangdong province.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This article states that as the Chinese government is forcing more and more people off of their land in order to build hotels, shopping centers and other so called improvements these types of conflicts are becomming common. On various post I have heard of how the US is unfair to protestors and is generally considered to be a monster by the rest of the world. The main reason that I posted this article is to show what a real monster is like.

Related News Links:
news.amnesty.org

[edit on 10-12-2005 by JIMC5499]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I appreciate your point, but I think it will fall flat. Even though you're right. People here scream and kick about the littlest inconvience, yet you go there and they just kill you and pay your family off. Ya, we got it bad here with the Nazi Bush. Oh well.

I think the only problem you're going to have is when people start saying "well, thats what Bush and co. are GOING to do here. You know you cant make everyone happy.

Anyrate....way to go China. You never disappoint.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
And this is different from the US Private Emminant Domain how? Oh I see it's an entire village instead of a block for a wally world.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Sardion, Let me get this straight. You don't see the difference between Walmart buying up a block for a parking lot, and soldiers coming into a village and shooting people? Lets take the blinders off, ok?

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Oops thought it was an eviction not a massacre. Should read the article more fully in the future, thx for pointing that out.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
No prob, shouldn't have jumped like I did either. My apologies.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Feed the greed, so how much is a dead head worth to the global economy?

China is just praticing unbridled capitalism. In the US we invade, kill 400,000 and set up PSA's for oil contracts within the shadows of a puppet government....a few chinese villagers is but a blip on the empire building radar screen.

None of us are innocent when we play the mass consumption game.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Guys, when are we all going to 'click'? Evil has no borders, no national loyalty, it goes where it will and does what it will.

Without "The West's" "investments in their 50 cent an hour labour, all this shooting to evict, to build, wouldn't be happening.

While personal "wealth" and national "pride" are held above human justice, we're all buggered.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is a topic about human rights in China, please try to stay on that.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
O.K. Nerdling, my point was that China will keep selling more human rights away while The West keeps buying, knowing of the human cost of producing their wealth.

I hope you don't mean we should all be slamming China without holding their "business parters" to account?

This story is about the effects of Global Business Practices and not brainwashing their people into loving Communism.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by suzy ryan
O.K. Nerdling, my point was that China will keep selling more human rights away while The West keeps buying, knowing of the human cost of producing their wealth.

I hope you don't mean we should all be slamming China without holding their "business parters" to account?

This story is about the effects of Global Business Practices and not brainwashing their people into loving Communism.

The Chinese government has other ways of getting what it wants without resorting to shooting people. Don't use this as a lame excuse to trash the US. Let's call this what it is. The Chinese government has no respect for the lives of its citizens. I keep hearing how there are millions of people starving in this world and all the West is concerned about is making a profit. China has an 8 billion dollar trade surplus with the rest of the world. Where do you think that money is going? How many people would that feed? Why do you think that the USSR imploded? It is just a matter of time before there is an open revolt in China who's casualties make anything done in the West look like a car accident.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

This article states that as the Chinese government is forcing more and more people off of their land in order to build hotels, shopping centers and other so called improvements these types of conflicts are becomming common.

Whislt I agree the shooting of civilians is bad, they weren't evicted for a shopping mall or Hotel. It's a new Coal Fired Power Station that is needed to feed their growing economy. A growing economy that we in the west rely on to feed our demands.

Also, we do not yet know the details for this incident. What prompted the police to fire? These kind of incidents are not without precedent, even in the so-called Civilised West.

Although I doubt the Police in China required much of an excuse, the Central Government is going to have an inquiry as to what happened, as they have to start taking into account Human Rights abuses that have been brought up by PM Blair and Pres. Bush on their visits.

You have to remember that China is a huge country with a vast, multi-layered beuracracy and Security apparatus.

The Central government probably had no knowledge of the protest, let alone issue the order. We will probably hear in the coming weeks that the local Governor/Commander will be blamed for this.

This is a good thing as the message will be made clear to the rest of the Governors/Commanders that shooting people is no longer the "vogue" thing to do.

Hopefully, this might be the start of a change in China. You never know

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

Originally posted by suzy ryan

The Chinese government has other ways of getting what it wants without resorting to shooting people. Don't use this as a lame excuse to trash the US. Let's call this what it is. The Chinese government has no respect for the lives of its citizens. I keep hearing how there are millions of people starving in this world and all the West is concerned about is making a profit. China has an 8 billion dollar trade surplus with the rest of the world. Where do you think that money is going? How many people would that feed? Why do you think that the USSR imploded? It is just a matter of time before there is an open revolt in China who's casualties make anything done in the West look like a car accident.

Woah! The 'whoever', doth protest too much. Got some Chinese investments "working well for you" or some such?

Where did I mention the U.S.? News here, for all who think the world starts and ends in America; Australia, along with the U.K. and others, is very cosy with China.

We even knocked back a Chinese government defector recently, who tried to warn us about their human rights abuses and I'm not too blinded, by some hokey, "national pride disease", to admit we did bad. Infact I think he went on to America to get a better hearing.

A precurser to human rights abusses is the ARROGANCE to think you're worth more than the abussed.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
My company does do business with China. No I don't have any investments there. And let's face it when you say the West you mean the US untill someone calls you on it. No I don't agree with what they have done. If I did I sure wouldn't have posted this article. What I find offense with is that you are implying that the West is twisting China's arm to do these things, when it is the Chinese Government who is doing it.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ive been following this story and if its true, what the Chinese security forces have done is criminal. To use heavily armed soldiers to gun down unarmed rioters is beyond the pale.

Im waiting for a UN condemnation, but I won't hold my breath and the fake Human-rights groups based in America and Europe only attack America and Isreal...China gets a free pass.

I would think the man-made environmental disasters happening in China right now would also start riots....I heard some cities have no water because of a massive chemical spill.

Max

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Not twisting their arm!?!? How about refusing to "play" with them 'till they treat their own well, instead of using their low wages and conditions as an excuse to lower our own.

I was responding as an Australian, who's nation's people have been hurt at the expence of, World's 'Best' Business Practice, deals with China.

Though I may come from "the land down under", we are a part of the West, and as we didn't cut ourselves of from English history or the history of the rest of the world's people who've adopted us, we know better than to blame America for everything.

Yes, 'China' does wrong by the 'Chinese' but your little tantrum (at the end of countless, "We're number one!; Why does the world hate us? The rest of the world's manure!", posts by Americans) FINALLY got me to thinking, that what's wrong with 'America' is 'Americans'. Happy now?

[edit on 10-12-2005 by suzy ryan]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Relatives begging to be let inside to claim the bodies.

www.theepochtimes.com...

[edit on 25-3-2006 by Riwka]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Also this site:

news.yahoo.com...

Soon America!

The wealthy must have their way
and the wealthy in America are no different and now they are jealous.

Soon everywhere!

If you don't believe, you are blind or a wannabe.

[edit on 12/10/2005 by bodebliss]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
There was also a recent event which happened in the small village where i come from.

Its a small collective that numbers about 200 families all together. in fujian province and near putain. we are putain people but got organized into another area called fuqin. the population of the village is about 200people. nearly all of them are the very young or the very old. The rest of the working class people immigrated to other counters eg australia england italy spain france and lots more fujianese have a history of immgranting in singapore the population of chinese is about 70% from fujian. Because there are very few jobs to go around

Anyway the government wanted to come and take the land we use to grow peanuts and sweet potatos on and build factories. we refused the normal human reaction. We even went to beijing to protest this which nothing happened one person got arrested because he hit the police because the police him his sister and he will be released in a few months .They are giving us little compensation for that land they are taking 10x10m2 is $800 australian. The factory is some western factory or some taiwanese factory. They will start operating in 2006-7 and will emply local workers and help people find jobs.

I am angrey they took the land off us bbut this is kind of cover up by the fact that we dont ahve to move overseas to make money. One of my uncles in italy is working 12hours a day in italy and is not making much money to send home. he lives in milan the rent is expensive and such. If he decides to move back to chian he could become a entrepreneur or work in the factory which pays $3000 US a year. So it would be a bonus to our village. But i dont know the situation in Dongzhou so i cant speak from experience. But i am sure it was to do with being human.

China right now is the same it has been for the last 2000 years. while the human rights and conditions have improved chinese still have the mindset of a chinese and not a westerner. We dont really care so much for human rights as we do money. Once china develops more things like this will change. property rights will change mind sets will chance.

The problem in chian now is land rights are not properly written. all land belongs to the state and the state controls what you use the land for.

There are many land disputes in china because of this. and most have not turned violent but when they do they get violent. Most of these invole curupt officals but when economic progress is made chian will be a different place.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Practice for the WTO talks being held in Hong Kong this week?

top topics

join