It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What vision do you have for your country?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Post the measures you would take to improve your country. This is a chance for members to put foward there ideas this isnt another thread for petty debate. If the likes of abortion comes up feel free to post your point of view but bear in mind that there should be a host of other issues that can be debated.

If I was the PM of NZ I would abolish income Tax for low - middle income earners. I would implament a tax roll back plan over time the likes of GST and other absured taxs would be removed.

I would ease the burden of government by scarping uneeded government departments including the families commission. Greater power would be handed to local councils including more controll over the likes roads and other public works projects.
The NZ government would retain controll over the railways and Cities would be encourged to invest in mass transit.
The min would wage reflect increases in living costs this might annoy the business sector however if people people have more money woudnt they buy the prouducts that business are marketing/selling?
If people have more money they may be able to afford access to the likes of private health care.

I would increase defence spending and rebuild NZ military capablitys and make spending cut backs where needed to prevent tax dollars from being wasted. NZ dosnt have to follow the US blindy however with both china and indonesia in our backyard we need to be able to negotiat from a postion of strength. This would be backed up by closer defence ties with the US.

NZ would withdraw its support for the Kyoto protocol instead there would be a set of regulations If companys abided by the regulations they would get a tax breake.

NZ nuclear free stance would end its time for reality to trumpian over ideals. NZ could face blackouts in the future. The likes of the greens seem to be against amost any soloution that gets put foward we cant have wind turbins on hills because they damage the scenic view.

Education any government funding would be based on literacy and numeracy rates. Kids who fall behind the requried standard would get vouches for after school help. Under perfoming schools could be brought out by well performing schools. More adminisration would be done at the provincal level where people are in touch with local conditions.

Health care not much to say here that hasnt already been said already with the gradual increase in wages and decreased taxs more people would be able to afford access to private health care and waiting lists would be reduced.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by xpert11]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Part 2

Welfare would be targeted at people who are in genuine need support would remain for income related rents. There would be longer jail terms for people who commit welfare fraud. As with health care and education more focus would be placed on the provinces in an attemped to improve on the current incomptance.

Gay marriage would be legalized we already have civil unions so why not grow a backbone and go the whole hog. Marijuana would be legalized personaly this dosnt sit 100% well with me but if the police are able to spend more time going after the likes of murders then my doubts would be erased.

Immigration there would be more focus on attracting skilled workers to NZ. If you dont meet the the requriments to work in NZ you would be given the option of servering in the military. for a period of time. If you are willing to die for NZ you have earned citenzship.

I have a few other thoughts but this is a long topic already feel free to post shorter replys.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Great thread xpert11

As a yank I would have my work cut out for me but here goes.

Federal Income tax rates would be scrapped in favor of a flat tax at 10% of annual income.

I would keep the federal government out of the gay marriage issue.

I would also allow the states to decide whether to decriminalize soft drug use not legalize but more room in the prisons for murders and rapists.

I would simplify how we fund our educational system. The federal government will provide money for new books, pencils, paper etc. I would have the states provide the schooling infrastructure. This partnership would cut waste and ensure a quality education for every child.

I wouldn't threaten states who choose to reduce the drinking age to 18. Its a states right issue the feds should once again keep out.

I wouldn't threaten doctors who have assisted in ending of the life of a patient with prison under federal statute. Should the performing doctor have been in a state that such a law have been legally prescribed.

I would start saving the money we promised to save for Social Security. I would also increase funding for Medicare and medicaid.

I would adopt a more fiscally responsible budget. And by that I would cut the defense budget by half over a period of four years. By the way if I did that we still would have the largest defense budget of any single country.

Well thats about all I can think of for now.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by danwild6

I would adopt a more fiscally responsible budget. And by that I would cut the defense budget by half over a period of four years. By the way if I did that we still would have the largest defense budget of any single country.

Do you think there is alot of wastage in US defence spending?
Do you think less defence spending would result in less paper pushing BS?
Would you save money by ending US deployments overseas?

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Great idea for a thread.

I really need to think about this though.

I am in Canada, but the first thing that comes to mind is a total revamp of our political parties.

IF I had the power (this will never happen anways) I would create an energy accord for my province (saskatchewan) so that we could keep our oil profits.

I would fix the state of agriculture by abolishing useless programs and surveys and creating a voice for the farmers. I would do anything I could to get the farmers a better price for their product.

I would give greater incentives for safe environment practices.

If anything, I would like to see a fair taxation system. For example, we pay thousands and thouands of land taxes with a good chunk going towards education. Yet we have poor schools in my area. The taxation should be effected by quality of services.

I live on a grid road, does my tax money get me pavement? No.

More to come.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Do you think there is alot of wastage in US defence spending?
Do you think less defence spending would result in less paper pushing BS?
Would you save money by ending US deployments overseas?

Yes, yes and yes. Our defense budget is outrageously high over $400 billion a year now. Its so big that if we halved it we would still spend more than any other nation. It would force the pentagon to spend their money much more wisely. If they want all their new toys they have to halt the cost overruns. I probably wouldn't end overseas deployment altogether but I would scale it back.

new topics

top topics

join