It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guitar Players, Say Good Bye to Your Tab Sites.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I don't play. I don't have a musical bone in my body but I wanted to get the word out on this information.

Song site operators could face jail time

The latest offense in the music industry's copyright war has been launched by the Music Publishers' Association, which represents U.S. sheet music companies. According to a BBC story, beginning next year the MPA plans to take legal action against Web sites that offer unlicensed song score and lyrics.

MPA president Lauren Keiser apparently doesn't want to stop at fining offenders. If authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective," he said, according to the story.

Keiser said the MPA will target big sites that people think are legitimate. He added that first the Xerox machine usurped his members' potential income, "now the Internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance." Bloggers, however, wondered if jail time isn't taking things a little too far.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What now? People will have to find tabs and lyrics on P2P networks I guess.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Please, say it aint so!!
I use these sites all the time to update our set list.

Maybe it's a good thing; to force me to write more original material.

Lemonade anyone?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Wow this is awful. Alot of tab on the web is put up by people who have figured a song out by ear...often improperly transcribed. Usually, with alot of tab, you end up with a "my first guitar" version of the song, not entirely accurate but in the right key and progression. (ie., all first position open chords).

I can see if you totally copped somebody's music score and cut&paste it onto a website, but that's not usually the case in my experience.

Either way- lame, lame...double lame.

Well Umbrax atleast we know about the new air guitar tech. Who needs music theory anyways.

*hmm no how does that work again...Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge...hmmm F.A.C.E. doh! it's gonna take me 5 years to learn a new song now...mumble....mumble...LAME...mumble.......

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
This is really really wrong... just wrong. Yeah most tabs are figured out by ear and the person spends their own time tabbing the song.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Maybe all the self written tabs should be titled..

MY RENDITION OF "insert title here".

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! They can't do this. This is most heinous. I live for this stuff.

Does the disclaimers on most of the sites not mean anything. There must be a loophole to this.

This is gonna kill us lazy guitarists who don't feel like figuring it out for ourselves. Something will be done...hahahahahaha

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
They shouldn't make the guitarists of the world angry. We are high in numbers and we shall bring down our axe of justice! muahahahaha!

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This is "really wrong" because MUSIC IS AN ART. Corporate bastards. Or at least it was before they started selling Britney Spears to the masses like so much contaminated beef.

Artists don't write for money. They may need to eat and sleep like the rest of us, but mansions? Sports cars? All of that extravagant crap? Nothing wrong with owning any of that, but when bought with money made from charging "consumers", and then complaining when the marketing of audio and scores/tabs slacks from free exchange online, I become personally offended. And I won't even mention the corporations themselves. I would have a few short expressions for them, but they'd be censored anyway.

[edit on 9-12-2005 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is a real slap in the face. Music is art, musicians are artists. I would never have a problem with people taking one of my songs and tabbing it. Because the result of someone tabbing it is someone playing it and someoe wouldnt play it unless they felt moved by it. If I can move someone as an artist, then mission accomplished.

Music is not something that you simply listen to, music is something that you experience, an experience that extends into playing that music. These people that are putting their grubby, money thirsty hands on these tabbing rights are the kinds of people that back Britney Spears and the like, stuff that we would never touch as guitarists. They should get their hands off our Rock and Roll!

I hope Guitar Pro isnt one of their targets...

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The majority of net tabs about really are people's impression of how the song is played, I've checked them against the offical tabs and almost all the time they are wrong. So, how can tabs that sound similar, not the same as the song in question be doing anything wrong?

I wouldn't be able to play guitar if it wasn't for internet tabs. Most people don't learn from books, or teachers, mroe people learn just from trying to learn the songs they like. Why take away the art of guitar playing from a whole lotta people just for an extra few $$$$$$$$ ?

I use internet tabs, but the most of the time, if I like a band, if I like an album, I will buy their official tab books. I think most people do that. So if they're losing money, it isn't a significant ammount.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I don't see how this could possibly be stretched to benefit the artists. I mean, I'm just barely starting to feel that maybe illegally downloading an mp3 might affect their pocket book (although I still argue against that...), but seriously, how much in royalties does a band get off of their "official" tabs? And I doubt this is being done for the artists, it's to line the pockets of another greedy "association."

Is it just me, or wasn't it not too long ago that the internet was being touted as a way to freely exchange information? Between this and the uproar over Google books, I'm seriously having my doubts over this society and it's affection for the all-mighty greenback.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Its certainly wrong, but not suprising that companies want to protect their revenues (i.e stamp out alternatives).

I would suggest a boycott of tab books in protest.

Could they really take down all the tabs off tab sites though? I mean, the vast majority of the tabs on there are just interpretations of the songs. If they can do that then perhaps they'll ban people from whistling songs too, as that would also a breach of copyright.

[edit on 15-12-2005 by Paul]

top topics

join