It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have I got some kind of new virus or something?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
When I open my Windows firewall Exceptions tab I see most of the programs that I allowed but I also see three that I did not.

Remote Assistance
Remote Desktop and
YPnP.
When I try and delete these three programs the system wont let me but it will allow me to delete any of the other programs.

Also I tried to set my system restore back and it wont let me go back earlier than September and I have had this computer for Years. Another problem I am having is none of my download programs are functioning properly. When I run Download manager it totally messes up the computer so I tried downloading GetRight and it wont even connect. If I right click on Explorer and save the file it downloads till I get disconnected it makes me restart downloading the file all over.

All I wanted to do was to download the files
skof.org...
and skof.org...
but something is making life misrable for me.

I did a google search and I get the same problems downloading them from other websites.

I even tried using Kazza lite and now that program is downloading files the same way, deleting the file and making me download all over from the beginning. I deleted and reinstalled Kazaa Lite and after that the program wouldn't let me connect.

Finally my virus program is refusing to update and giving me an error message. What is going on with my computer? Avast and Housecall virus scans turned up nothing before.
What is going on? How can I get control of my computer back?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfsteve

Uninstall Kazaa Lite if possible. You may have to format your harddisk and reinstall your operating system too. Maybe if you´re lucky you don´t have to format. But you can try to get rid of Kazaa and then you might get control of your computer again. That´s my advice. You don´t need Kazaa to download these files.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sounds like it. I am no expert in computers though so don't take my word for it. That fact that the programs are remote assistance sounds a little fishy. My advice (don't take until you have contacted a competent computer person) is to save all your files that you would need/want....and I hate to say....dump the computer and reinstall everything. Don't do this until you are sure that you have a virus. I recently had to do this to my computer...it really sucks but sometimes you'll see that it will even make your computer faster. Good luck....I hate virus creators.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Remote Assistance
Remote Desktop and
YPnP.

What are the file names of these? I'll see what I can find out about them. It may help.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
After you get rid of Kazaa,

• 1. download and install this free program:

Ad-Aware - www.lavasoft.de...

You´ll find the download link at "Download your free copy
    of Ad-Aware at..." and it has this icon:

• 2. Start windows in safe mode (F8 before you get into Windows during startup - choose "safe mode" from the list)

• 3. Scan your computer

• 4. Delete all the Adware, Malware and Spyware it detects

• 5. Reboot

• posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:41 PM
    link   
    Download hijackthis! from this page
    Merijn.org

Then review this
    CastleCops HJT Tutorial

The program will id all sorts of stuff, some good some bad. What you do is check off the baddies then have it 'fix' them. How do you know whats bad? Best way is to post a log from HJT to a computer help forum. You could try this ATS forum, or this place:
    Tech Support HJT Forum.

They will have other advice.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:46 PM
    link   
    AS Helmutt says.
    the YPnP is a viral marketing tool that you must have picked up on some website.
    Note, after doing a web search, you may have installed this program when you were trying to download Money_Masters_Tape1_Part1_all.wmv
    as it is "strictly" not a virus but a "potentially an unwanted program" then most av will not catch it unless you configure it to do so.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:16 PM
    link   

by surfsteve:

Remote Assistance
    Remote Desktop and
    YPnP.

Question?
    Are you sure it doesn't say UPnP [Framework]? ... instead of "Y"PnP.

That is for networked Universal Plug n Play devices and is part of Windows.

As you have listed "Remote Desktop" I would assume you are running WinXP Professional?! Correct?

Try the following:

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Properties"

Click on the "Remote" tab at the top.

Remove the checkmark for "Remote Assistance" and also "Remote Desktop".

Click "Apply", Click "Okay"

Restart Computer.

- No you cannot delete these three items from the list of exceptions as they are core components of the Windows operating system.

- Finally, what exactly is the "error" message you are receiving when attempting to update your antivirus program?

[edit on 12/9/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:29 PM
    link   
    I probably should have run Adaware before I made this post. I'm doing it now and I will take off the YPnP

When I did a search of remote assistance and remote desktop it lead me to believe they were Windows Programs... ok fine but how do I turn them off. I'll wait for Adaware to finish before sending off this post... I don't see how that program could be responsible for not letting my virus program update... Also what is wrong with Kazaa lite? I had that program for a long time with no problems?

Didn't see YPnP in the list but now it says YPnP framework... don't recall seeing framework before or not. Anyhow Adaware is same as always. It finds lots of stuff but never fixes the problem.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:54 PM
    link   
    12MK is correct I mistyped the file name and based all my posts on it... UPnP is what I should have typed.

Only problem is there are no checkmarks for remote assistance or desktop in their respective boxes yet they show up as being allowed by windows firewall. Also for good measure I even examined the Select Remote Users box to find it empty :bnghd:

p.s.
    I'm not sure of the exact error message but I believe my virus program is unable to connect. What happened was it got disconnected in the middle of a download... hey suppose it saved whatever file it was downloading as complete? ( I forgot to mention when I get disconnected my computer thinks the file I'm downloading has finished no matter how far along it was at the time...( I am on dialup)

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:11 PM
    link   
    There is a way to check your computer for problems. This involves opening 'Event Viewer' and checking for errors.

To open 'Event Viewer' do the following:

Start --> Run --> eventvwr (type that in the blank).

Now, check the categories (Application, Security, System and Media Center if you have that) and look for caution icons and more importantly error icons (they look like 'x's). This log may be long, but if you see some errors it would be wise to fix them even if they are unrelated to the current problem.

If you find problems, you can either look them up for yourself or post them here and I am sure we would be happy to help.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:35 PM
    link   

by surfsteve:
    yet they show up as being allowed by windows firewall.

As they are core components of WindowsXP they will always show as possible exceptions. However, as long as you don't allow [check] those services they will remain blocked.

by surfsteve:
    I forgot to mention when I get disconnected my computer thinks the file I'm downloading has finished no matter how far along it was at the time...( I

I don't know what antivirus program your using, therefore I can't explain how to resolve the issue with update downloads.

Most likely it's not your computer that thinks the file download has completed, probably the program itself.

Let me know what antivirus program you are using. You probably just need to empty it's update/download cache directory.

Also, while you cannot delete those three entries in the Windows firewall exceptions list, just be sure they're not checked. Do the same for "Remote Desktop" and "Remote Assistance" if you don't intend or need to use those services.

[edit on 12/9/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:42 PM
    link   
    I am using AVAST ANTIVIRUS. I think I fixed this last time by removing and reinstalling the program. If it were just my antivirus acting up.

"Most likely it's not your computer that thinks the file download has completed, probably the program itself."

Actually several programs are acting up in addition to Avast Antivirus.
    1. Download manager (I believe it's a componant of Media Jukebox) worked last time I tried it but totally messed up other programs.
    2. GetRight wont connect
    3. Kazaa lite... first started dropping files... then when I reinstalled the program it wouldn't connect. I just tried it again and it wont run because of some kind of hexkey registry error... Maybe adaware found something related and I may have deleted it yesterday... but still Kazaa lite worked fine for years.

A couple weeks ago when my virus program acted up I re installed it. I will try that again and it will probably work until the next time it is in the middle of downloading a file and gets disconnected. That seems to be the problem no matter what program I am using....

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:27 PM
    link   
    What version of Kazaa Lite are you using???

If you move the destination folder, (My Shared Folder) or rename it, before a download has been completed, the file just disappears when it completes.

Not sure why this happens, but you will still see the file on your downloads list, and the Dat file will still be in the folder, but POOF!!! it's just gone after finishing. I've tried to recover these files, but had no luck finding them.

Edit: One more thing, if you write a Dat file to a disc and then write it back to Kazaa at a later date, Kazaa won't see it because it's become a read only file.
    In this case you need to change it's properties back to Archive.

[edit on 10/12/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:04 PM
    link   
    I haven't stopped working on this problem since I last posted. After several disconnects redownloaded the new virus software and my file was slightly larger than the size indicated so I assume I got it all that try.

When I reinstalled Avast it did a virus scan came up negative two hours later... then when it booted it gave me an error message

Error basInitLibrary - initialization of basic library failed! Check out INI file or install program again, please Error 126

So I reinstalled the program again (please Error 126) and couldn't get on the internet except for yahoo messanger... but Email or Web programs wouldn't work so I shut off Avast and they work... so I reinstalled Avast again... same thing... I suppose I should call them next but what about all the problems with other programs I'm having? Surely they aren't unrelated. Are they? I already been thru the runaround with the GetRight people and don't hear back from them anymore so I have grave doubts about resolving my Avast problems with the Avast people and my Kazaa problems with ect... What next take a week off and reinstall windows? (no not again I been thru that with other #)

I want control of my computer back! I want to find and fix the real problem!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 06:55 PM
    link   

Originally posted by surfsteve
    When I open my Windows firewall Exceptions tab I see most of the programs that I allowed but I also see three that I did not.

Remote Assistance
    Remote Desktop and
    YPnP.
    When I try and delete these three programs the system wont let me but it will allow me to delete any of the other programs.

Also I tried to set my system restore back and it wont let me go back earlier than September and I have had this computer for Years. Another problem I am having is none of my download programs are functioning properly. When I run Download manager it totally messes up the computer so I tried downloading GetRight and it wont even connect. If I right click on Explorer and save the file it downloads till I get disconnected it makes me restart downloading the file all over.

All I wanted to do was to download the files
    skof.org...
    and skof.org...
    but something is making life misrable for me.

I did a google search and I get the same problems downloading them from other websites.

I even tried using Kazza lite and now that program is downloading files the same way, deleting the file and making me download all over from the beginning. I deleted and reinstalled Kazaa Lite and after that the program wouldn't let me connect.

Finally my virus program is refusing to update and giving me an error message. What is going on with my computer? Avast and Housecall virus scans turned up nothing before.

Remote Desktop !!!! OMG.

This means that someone has installed a software that links your computer to someone else computer. I once used this application with a friend when I needed help to "take control" of my PC so he could "pretend to be behind my desktop" and fix error in my PC. With this application you and someone else distant are in control of the PC. You can even see the mouse pointer moving and doing stuff on your screen, as you sit back while the other person is in control.

I would ask this question: "Who has access to your PC in your own home?" Is it possible that someone can install software on your PC while you are outside the home?

I'm also surprised that you can't simply delete the application? Was it installed under another "admin" name?

What platform are you using? How many platforms are you using? Windows AND Linux?

Cheers and hope U figure this out dude.

(* btw, SurfSteve, I'm OWD from the Outl)w; I hope you are well, I came here because you said U came here; I'm new this is my 1 post )

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 11:53 PM
    link   
    reply to post by RadicalAction

Necrobumping a 7 year old thread for your first post?

Cheers and hope U figure this out dude.

Lol, chances are the OP doesn't even have the computer anymore.
    edit on 9/3/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join