It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Kansas City Student Suspended for Speaking Spanish in School

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
This school has a rule to speak English only for what ever reason. This kid knew that and had been corrected quite a few times on the matter. If he chose to continue to break the rules, what else are they supposed to do?

So I asked her to show me the written policy about that. But they didn't have one.

There was not an "English Only" policy in this school.
He was talking to his friend in the hallway during break time.

Putting the blame for fighting on language, colors, doo-rags or any other benign object takes the responsibility away from the individual. We cannot blame a headscarf for violence, no matter how appealing that might be.
It's ineffective and draws accountability away from the source, which is a person's own judgment.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
institutionalized racism
[edit on 9-12-2005 by loam]

I do believe this has been going on for a long time now. i am 33 years old and i have even seen this back when i was going to school. and it is something that i hate very much to see.
today i still see it in my kids school it has been a on going problem for a very very long time now. i remember at my school long hair for a male was out of the question. they acted like if a person had long hair they could not attend a public school.

i really don't agree with the process they had going on back then that still stands today. if you had a Tee-shirt that said metallica on it you was sent home even if the picture just had some clouds with lightning on it (ride the lighting) i remember i was sent home because of that shirt BUT if you had a shirt that had U2 on it. it was fine? if you was a male and had long hair. you was told that you could not attend school. that you had to keep it short. if i remember right the rule was if it came down too your shoulders you would not be allowed in class. back at the start of the year at my kids school. he had a us army outfit camo paints and shirt. he got sent home because it was considered gang related. even said US army on his shirt. i had to explain to my 11 year old son on how you should NOT consider the US Army was not a gang. (i have friends in the army that come over i didn't want him to think i was hanging around gang members.)

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I am sorry, but i have to agree with it. This kid was in Alternative school because he was a trouble maker. Those teachers deal with so much on a day to day basis. We are not talking your typical high school here. They cant speak spanish for good reason. They are not trying to be butt heads, they are trying to keep the kids safe. This kid was told repeatedly not to speak spanish, yet he did it again. He is playing the innocent card and I dont buy it. Maybe it was an innocent conversation this time. That is not the point here.

Please, there is no official language or banned languages in public highschools regardless of where they are located in the US. I am going to laugh at your ascertion that this kid is at this 'reform' school because he spoke Spanish at another school.

I would love to hear why SPanish is so harmful.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I agree with Jsobecky on kids learning a second language. I'm from Canada and am sure your aware of our english/french language wars, but in english elementary school french was barley taught at all, and when you got to high school it wasn't compulsory. I wish it had of been, all government employment postions are bilingual only. They didn't tell us this in school. Its funny how back here in the late 70s and early 80s Spanish and German language courses in college and university were the most popular. Go figure. Anyway I read the article this morning and I'm glad the kid is back in school. The suspension was ridiculous, and if this kid is an alleged repeat troublemaker, he can't be that troublesome if this all they can come up with to suspend him.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Something seems fishy about the report. I mean, for all we know we might only be getting one side of the story and the reporters are cutting the rest out? I could see if the kid was cursing in spanish, and that was why he was suspended, but just getting suspended for speaking spanish seems alittle off for anywhere.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Given that I've taught teenagers, let's just say I'm not taken the kid's version as inarguable fact nor would I the teacher's.

He had been told before and that means not to do it again. The line has to be drawn where the teacher feels it is necessary. Using languages, including even made-up languages, in school can be used to cause disruptions, gossip, joke inappropriately, or even used to plot out nefarious activities. Not everyone speaks Spanish or Latin or Choctaw.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I am very certain that the prohibition of Spanish at the school has everything to do with disciplinary problems and nothing to do with the suppression of anyone's rights. Unfortunately, over the last 40 years or so, there has been a near complete breakdown of discipline in our schools, to the extent that uniformed policemen are de rigeur and the Albuquerque School Board was bragging the other day that so far only three students have been found carrying guns at school.

You can't blame administrators for doing their best to keep a lid on things by having everyone speak a commonly understood language. Simple courtesy would dictate the adherence to such a rule. As for the kid, he could learn to what courtesy means and make it easier on everyone. I don't think suspension is too severe.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
This is near exactly what happened three days ago at my school. In gym class, we have three spanish kids who talk spanish profusely... well so what. Then the P.E. teacher approaches them and says thaqt if they dont stop and i quote "If you dont stop speaking that damn gibberish, you will be written up!" So I had walked over to the conflict, and told him that the fact he would say that was rediculous, and he shouldnt be permitted an authority figure in charge of students, and he gave me three days of internal suspension. Its so injust. However its not just us whites. Three fourths of the spanish teachers are extremly racist to any white student. Its sad really

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
In my mind, it's a toss-up.
Although, the reasoning may be as simple as the reason we can't speak multiple languages here on ATS/BTS/PTS.
It's hard to police what's going on.

I noticed the school has only 4 teachers, and is below the state average for student/teacher ratios.

If this is truly a "last chance school" extra discipline could make the difference.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
First of all, my hats off, and a deep bow from the waist to all who have either been or are currently, teachers to our children. Thank you for doing something that I never had the courage to attempt.

Having spent a number of years living in San Antonio, Texas and points South - West - East of there... I think think that people, regardless of age, are simply what they are. I learned a large amount of what is known as Tex-Mex in those halcyon days. Even today, many years later, I go into my local Mexican Restaurant and attempt to converse with the personnel there, who are only Mexican, and one, sellf-created, expatriate, Iranian. I spend part of my life teaching Martial Arts, and am conversant to a much lesser extent in several varieties of oriental language. I used to work with Defense Language Institute personnel, and on occasion, used to have to speak a bit of the Arabic, as well.

My seven year old grandson shows a penchant for multiple languages and the family helps him out whenever possible. Interestingly, if you don't believe me, you can always tune in "Dora the Explorer", a really cool show for pre-school children... It tends to be bilingual (Spanish and English) and the kids at that age love it and use the language lessons.

What is interesting to me, is that, even today, I sometimes will, in the course of natural conversation, come out with something entirely out of the blue that starts in English and ends in Tex-Mex. It isn't a matter of discipline, so much, as a matter of usage.

Language, in and of itself, is not a sinister tool used to create problems. It is the people using it. It seems to me that those people who are "bad guys" would probably be bad guys regardless of the language or multiple variants that they may use. In this example, the kid was probably speaking in such sinister undertones that the teacher was too frightened, or perhaps, indignant to try and translate "no" = "no" and "problema" ~ "problem"...

I'm glad the kid is back in school. I think that disciplinary steps like the school is attempting to use are simply tools for people who have no ability or desire to get inside and fix the problems of the "problem children" or at least help them to cope in the paradigms they live in. While I have a great deal of respect for teachers and school administration people, there are often people in there who should be doing something else for a living.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The school doesn't seem to be offering any reason for why non-english languages aren't permitted to be spoken. The idea that it creates division amoung the students is interesting, however, its just too extreme. If the school as mostly hispanics, then everyone'd go nuts over english being forbidden in the halls.

This was a bad idea on the part of the schools. The kid isn't an idiot, and problably is playing with everyone, acting 'innocent', he knows he was told not to do it and he has control. The rule, regardless, is totally unjustified.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I am sorry, but i have to agree with it. This kid was in Alternative school because he was a trouble maker. Those teachers deal with so much on a day to day basis. We are not talking your typical high school here. They cant speak spanish for good reason. They are not trying to be butt heads, they are trying to keep the kids safe. This kid was told repeatedly not to speak spanish, yet he did it again. He is playing the innocent card and I dont buy it. Maybe it was an innocent conversation this time. That is not the point here.

Have to agree with you. First, the 'official' language of this country is English. Like it or not, the schools are government run organizations. Also, it seems that many spanish-speaking people (kids and adults) use their language in front of others as a way of excluding others. I was married to a woman whose first language was spanish, and observed many times the switch to using spanish when other people arrived in an area. If you are going to live (and work) here, learn the local language and and use it.

A slight aside that I think is related. I believe that underneath all this is the diversity argument. To that end I will say that I believe that multi-ethnicity is one of the founding pillars of this country - the melting pot, if you will. However, multi-culturalism is not (don't diversity and divide come from the same root word?). If you are here permanently, than you need to learn the language and customs and become part of this country instead of trying to maintain a patchwork of separate cultures.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
centurion1211, sorry to disapoint you but the US does not have an official language. It has been brought up to congress a number of times to make English the official language, such motions have been knocked to the side since it would prejudicial against non-english speaking citizens.
US Official Language

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
centurion1211, sorry to disapoint you but the US does not have an official language. It has been brought up to congress a number of times to make English the official language, such motions have been knocked to the side since it would prejudicial against non-english speaking citizens.
US Official Language

Of course I understand that. That's why I used the word 'official' in quotes. English is, however, the language of government and business here. So if a person wants to integrate and prosper, they will need to learn and use English. If they still think wherever they came from is better than the U.S. to the point that they don't want to learn the language and culture, then I say go back to that place. Adios!

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Also, it seems that many spanish-speaking people (kids and adults) use their language in front of others as a way of excluding others.

So, if the kids were whispering (talking without others being able to understand what they were saying) you agree that they should be suspended?

Hey, it might be seen as rude, but if you think it qualifies for suspension, I'm glad I didn't go to your school!

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

"Of course I understand that. That's why I used the word 'official' in quotes. English is, however, the language of government and business here. So if a person wants to integrate and prosper, they will need to learn and use English. If they still think wherever they came from is better than the U.S. to the point that they don't want to learn the language and culture, then I say go back to that place. Adios!"

Are you serious? If you recall When we first came to this country as europeans, we spoke a different language than was used. We didnt stop speaking our language, nor did the true natives try and stop us. Where would we get off telling hispanics to stop speaking their language?

[edit on 9-12-2005 by TheLizardKing]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
If people dont already see spanglish coming... then open your eyes...

geeez.... such bendahos...

and to the teachers that get nervous... pick up a spanish class, and fight back with the same language... and be sure to butcher the heck out of the spelling and pronunciation... it is now Americans right to say muchass graceious

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
KANSAS CITY, Kan. -- A school superintendent in Kansas has apologized to a high school student suspended for speaking Spanish at school.
www.thekansascitychannel.com...

This has caused a lot of controversy here in town. This School district is one of the worst in the Metro Area.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
this is the united states. we speak american (yes american, people from england speak english here. i am against teaching our children spainish in elementray school and for making the ability to speak basic english part of the qualifications to recieve citizenship. were not trying to assimilate to mexico. native spainish speakers are tying to assimilate to the united states. why must we be forced to use there language in our country?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I wonder if they have any foreign language classes.

As for americans speaking american and them assimilating to us, (what are we, Borg?) that's a bunch of rubbish.
America is the great melting pot, where culture, language, religion, philosophy, and everything else are free to roam and run wild.

America has no official language, or religion for that matter.
We are a country of equality.
A vast majority of the people in America speak english as it is the world wide language of business.
We also use the american system of measurement.
Would you kick a kid out of school for buying a liter of pop?

Just because something is foreign does not make it bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join