It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Magnetic Pole Drifting Quickly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This is in from the AP wire , that the Earths Magnetic Pole is Drifting Quickly , what type of effect will it have ? .. what type of migrantory for artic animals and what type of weather would it bring? , thanks for all your answers before hand. ]
Link

[edit on 9-12-2005 by ZeddicusZulZorander]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
ahh you beat me to it! I was just about to post this

Good stuff

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The Magnetic North Pole has been moving ever since we first started recording its position. So this is nothing new, and nothing to worry about.

There's a good article about the magnetic pole here which includes a map showing how the pole has moved since 1600
Looks to me like it's just busy heading back home to where it used to be before it decided to pay a visit to Canada

(Edit to correct url)

[edit on 9-12-2005 by Essan]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yes it has moved steadily as the original poster's link says but consider this:
1831-1904 the magnetic pole moved 31 miles which is okay and a steady rate i guess comparing to the 1600-2000 one.

But from 1855-2005 the pole has move a whopping 685 miles which is not a steady pace and if it is at this rate then in the next 150 years the rate would increase another 20 times and be moved 13,700 miles within that time.
The exponential increase of magnetic pole drift is the problem here i would guess.

Edit:
"Scientists have long known that magnetic poles migrate and in rare cases, swap places. Exactly why this happens is a mystery."

"This may be part of a normal oscillation and it will eventually migrate back toward Canada,"

Yes they know it does move and migrate and all that good stuff

"The rate of the magnetic pole's movement has increased in the last century compared to fairly steady movement in the previous four centuries, the Oregon researchers said."

Again the increase of movement, is the focal point of the article. Also it states the magnetic field itself has decreased 10%, Which is a lot.

"The north magnetic pole was first discovered in 1831 and when it was revisited in 1904, explorers found that the pole had moved 31 miles."

Only 31 miles in that time but up to 2005 it moved 685 miles.
so 73 years(1831-1904) it moved 31Miles but in 150 years(1855-2005) it moved 685Miles and decreased 10%.

[edit on 9-12-2005 by Wisdumb]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The first image shows the movement of the pole since Ross got stuck in the ice in 1831.

This image has the magnetic pole plotted with the black line, and it looks like the pole has made almost a complete loop over a 400 year time frame.

Plotting into the future though, shows it moving out of Canadian jurisdiction.

But as goes the north, so follows the south.
The south pole is also on the move.

What it all means, I don't know???
Perhaps the Earth just has sloppy bowels and this is just insignificant movement that will have very little effect at all.........

join