It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Fear & Superstition or has Science Just not Caught Up ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:16 AM
link   
How many of you believe that the unexplainable is just merely fear or superstition or that it is something more that Science just hasn't caught up with it all yet.
I'm interested in hearing your veiws.
Besides these things have been going on for centuries.And I don't think that we are the first to notice.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
If science knew everything, then we would have reached the stars and be able to manipulate time, space and gravity. Not to mention be able to understand why a bumble-bee is capable of flying when its aerodynamics/weight mean that scientifically it should never get off the ground.

The only scientists who brush off the paranormal as "not worthy of investigation" are those who forget the whole reason of why science exists in the first place (to help find the answers to why things do the things that they do).

If I was a scientist, the paranormal would be my first project, because it's been almost completely ignored and yet is fundamental to the human experience.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Science hasn't caught up yet. As for the cynical skeptics, they'll eventually choke on the truth and when that happens, I will have forgotten how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I completely agree science just hasent got around to explaing things yet but at the speed we are going i think within the next 100 years science will bein to unravel and explain the paranormal. Oh yeh the bumble bee thing the wings flapping make some kind of air vortex which its goes through or somthing lol

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:37 PM
link   
science is behind. but how far behind? Im sure someday science will be able to explain most of the things that happen in the world. But i think there may be somethings that science may never be able to explain.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Ha Ha! Science doesn't even know it's in a race yet IMHO.

That's how bad it is!

How can we change it. Just keep asking your professor why? It will drive them crazy.

Then they will admit that they don't know anything, relatively speaking, and let other people make some proposals.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Didn't Lovecraft once write something to the extent of:

"When all the world's sciences and religions join, and when that order is united with philosophy, that is when the secrets of the universe will open?"

I know that isn't the exact quote, but the jest of it is the same. Nobody will really know, until all the pieces of the puzzle are together.

However, I feel some superstitions do hold sway over science... there must be a reason, or else why would people still practice them?

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 09:54 AM
link   
the beauty of paranormal is its mystery. If it was explained it wouldn't be as half as interesting as it is now

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 12:33 PM
link   
soothsayer,

excellent point, how can knowledge ever be exclusive or narrowed to certain areas in order to truly answer questions that go unanswered?

posted on Sep, 27 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I've a suspicion that when it comes to things paranormal there is an in built 'uncertainty principle' at work that means it can never be conclusively proved, only speculated and decided upon from there. The mystery is supposed to be a part of the process.

top topics

join