It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure for Muscular Dystrophy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
"THANKS to research on "mighty mice", the lives of people suffering from muscle-wasting diseases such as muscular dystrophy could be transformed. Two treatments that block a protein called myostatin, which slows muscle growth, are now in the pipeline.

The first approach, announced this week, aims to use a drug to mop up myostatin. Meanwhile a second method, which is already in clinical trials in people with muscular dystrophy, uses antibodies to disable the protein.

In 1997, researchers led by Se-Jin Lee of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland, engineered mice in which the gene for myostatin had been "knocked out". The animals grew muscles twice as big as normal. A defect in the myostatin gene was what caused a German toddler, whose story was widely publicised last year, to develop prodigious muscles."

www.newscientist.com...

I do pray this is a real thing and perhaps a miracle cure for those whom suffer from MD................

A also how this miracle doesn't become the next "super steroid"...............

mod edit: tiltle subject correction

[edit on 10-12-2005 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Just to clarify - MS is Multiple Sclerosis. This seems to be about Muscular Dystrophy.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I also hope this miracle doesn't become the next "super steroid"...............

Why? If it's safe then people should be allowed to use it for frivlous ends.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

I also hope this miracle doesn't become the next "super steroid"...............

Why? If it's safe then people should be allowed to use it for frivlous ends.

Now come on Sardion, there are plenty of things that have benefits when not abused that become a problem when used for "frivolous ends".

Anyway, lately these types of revelations seem to pop up and then fade quickly. I would hope there is something to it, it could end up helping a lot more than MD.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Now come on Sardion, there are plenty of things that have benefits when not abused that become a problem when used for "frivolous ends".

If it is safe and banned for so-called "frivolous ends" that goes against my basic beliefs that self-determination should rule what we can and can not put in our bodies. I would not use this personally but I would fight for the right for someone who does want to use it.

Anyway, lately these types of revelations seem to pop up and then fade quickly. I would hope there is something to it, it could end up helping a lot more than MD.

I agree. I have a feeling that the Military will be all over this technology as well(hope they don't Classify it)

[edit on 10-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
hmm well the possible side effect (heart enlargement) might not be worth its use.....

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
hmm well the possible side effect (heart enlargement) might not be worth its use.....

This is true, it all hinges on the toxicity or lack thereof or even wether they can engineer it out of the treatment alltogether.

[edit on 10-12-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
well sardion this is wny im keeping watch of stem cells, its having success on mice without any side effects like this drug does.

top topics

join