It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elastin !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Wounded troops returning from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan could, in time, benefit from potentially groundbreaking medical research in tissue repair.

A newly created form of protein known as “elastin” may one day be used to build replacement body parts — such as eardrums, parts of the stomach and intestines, bladders and blood vessels. This technology would allow surgeons to “build a person from the molecular level,” says Kenton Gregory, chief cardiologist at the Oregon Medical Laser Center, in Portland, Ore.

Elastin is being studied as a possible means to “put injured soldiers back together,” Gregory explains. After nearly a decade worth of research, his lab has found the human gene for elastin, he says. Elastin is a durable, stable protein that makes up human tissue. The thinking is that the body won’t reject replacement parts that have the patient’s own DNA.

“Based on natural protein, we developed a whole series of tissue-repair parts for the stomach, esophagus, skin, arteries,” Gregory says. “We are developing cell therapy program to help regenerate tissue.”

The lab also pioneered “laser-fusion” technology for instantly sealing and healing issue, he adds. Laser welding science has been around for 20 years, but is still an experimental technology. It is scheduled to begin medical trials in the United States in the coming months.

Link

Holy cr@p, I wonder if you could grow a leg or an arm with that stuff. This stuff sounds like it might be the next huge thing in medical science.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I have a family member who was involved in the miltiary's ordering this stuff and testing it out. In its current state, basically, it's bandages. You can't make an arm or a leg of it, but you can do a lot of repairs with it.

Who knows what will happen later. It can't regrow nerves, however.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
sounds pretty kewl, imho.

BTW, nerves grow themselves back... there have been a few reports of people with severe spinal injuries regaining a majority of their function back. I cut the nerves in my forehead and lost all feeling from my eyebrows to about 2 inches above my hairline when I went through the windshield about 7 years ago... I have all feeling back, and a couple of the severed veins (or arteries, can't remember which...) found eachother and repaired as well. The human body is an amazing thing, really... with this "Elastin" it makes me wonder if the human body will continue to grow and repair by using the help of the material... sometimes the body rejects foreign materials... have had friends that had BB's that were pushed out finally.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83

The lab also pioneered “laser-fusion” technology for instantly sealing and healing tissue, he adds. Laser welding science has been around for 20 years, but is still an experimental technology. It is scheduled to begin medical trials in the United States in the coming months.

Don't get me wrong, Elastin sounds great and all, but tissue "welding"?!?

That's straight outta star trek

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Originally posted by NWguy83

The lab also pioneered “laser-fusion” technology for instantly sealing and healing tissue, he adds. Laser welding science has been around for 20 years, but is still an experimental technology. It is scheduled to begin medical trials in the United States in the coming months.

Don't get me wrong, Elastin sounds great and all, but tissue "welding"?!?

That's straight outta star trek

Actually not. Cells just grow, and if you put them in a form, you can basically make any shape you want.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thain Esh Kelch
Actually not. Cells just grow, and if you put them in a form, you can basically make any shape you want.

Actually not what?

That, "Elastin sounds great and all"?

"Actually", that was an obvious opinion and your retort does not disprove or negate it.

That, "The lab also pioneered “laser-fusion” technology for instantly sealing and healing tissue"?

"Actually", if you know of another lab who's tests preceded theirs, provide a link, or take it up with the source.

That, this "tissue welding" tech. is "straight outta star trek"?

"Actually", if you've seen the show, they do have devices that emit a "laser" to seal, and/or "weld" wounds.

Yes, " Cells just grow, and if you put them in a form, you can basically make any shape you want.", to an extent; but, "actually", your condescending reply quoting my post had nothing to do with what I was referring to in regards to "instant" wound healing with laser tech..

[edit on 12/12/05 by redmage]

top topics

join