It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: San Francisco Police Suspended Over Gay and Blacks Video Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
San Francisco's police chief and mayor have announced the suspension of 20 police officers over videos of gays and homeless black men the the officers created. Police Chief Heather Fong described the parody tapes as despicable and shameless acts by the officers and stated that it is an extremely dark day for San Francisco. Officers suspended have defended themselves by saying it had nothing to do with peoples race as it could have been a white transient depicted in the movies. They further went on to say it was a ratings boost for the mayor and the tapes were made for moral purposes.

www.news.com.au
The videos, which were posted on a website, show officers ogling women, applying makeup in the middle of a drug raid, and acting in skits involving street persons.

One depicts a homeless black woman making an obscene gesture after police ran her over in their cruiser.

Another video shows officers shaking their hips suggestively, flicking their tongues and saying "Oh! Captain" to the sound track of the Charlie's Angels television show.

Another shows two officers practising martial arts to Asian-sounding music, after which they enter a massage parlour while police radio calls go unanswered.

Mayor Gavin Newsom said, "It is offensive, it is sexist. It is homophobic, it is racist, and we're going to make sure it ends."

"This symbolises the culture of contempt, contempt for the black people, contempt for the poor, that we've been complaining about for so long about the SF police department. Now we have proof. They think this thing is funny, we don't think it's funny at all," Van Jones of Bay Area Police Watch said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What can one say about this, other than the fact that it shows a white supremicist outlook on people who are less fortunate in life. I hope these people are now judged as they judged the victims they depicted in the movies.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Whoa! White supremicist? You better watch that whole movie...there's a few folks of color in it too (not to mention the black person who chose to be in this crap as a homeless person).

God I knew this would show up on ATS and someone would rip into it. Not that it doesn't deserve it to some degree...but let's be honest this is what society laughs at (SNL, Dave Chapelle Show, MAD TV, The Family Guy, Reno 911, Will and Grace...and probably more that I can't think of). I'm not going to be a goody goody and say I don't laugh, I do! Should the police make things like this at work...hell no! But I think what really pisses people off is that 1)Most people don't like cops 2)Most people have all been made fun of by a bully and 3)Cops are bullies so let's stick it to them on this one.

So I'm sure Fox News is saying "bad bad police" while promoting The Family Guy where everyone on that show is making fun of someone's race or sexuality. And they aren't the only ones, all of the media has this split personality. And people ignore it because they know it's hypocritical. People go out to comedy shows and want to hear and see this stuff...we want it!

The police screwed up, but they truly are reflecting society. Not saying it's right, just saying that a lot people know they too would laugh at some of this stuff. It isn't just whites that do this but blacks, hispanics, gays, and whomever else are all ripping on each other and themselves, heck I think a lot minority comics do this. I know Chris Rock does and whoever the new hispanic comic on Comedy Central does (almost his whole show is about racism) I don't care how much Political Correctness shows up in the workplace, when the bell rings and people go home...they turn their TVs right to this same stuff that they are suppose to rise above at work. That doesn't mean I think you should make fun of disadvantaged people (I really have a problem with people making fun of the handicapped or elderly because I know in truth that they are leading very difficult lives...just a thing that bugs me), but if I see a fat guy get stuck in a door eating ice cream on TV...I'm sorry I'm gonna laugh.

I think we all need to take some of this with a grain of salt, but also try take a step back and realize that some of this might reflect on problems in our society and with ourselves.

[edit on 12-8-2005 by Boogie]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Lemme watch the video
Link to the entire video?

[edit on 12/8/2005 by theBLESSINGofVISION]

[edit on 12/8/2005 by theBLESSINGofVISION]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
What can one say about this, other than the fact that it shows a white supremicist outlook on people who are less fortunate in life.

So you think blacks and gays are "less fortunate in life"?

Interesting...

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I really think this is just a publicity grab by San Francisco's police chief and mayor over a really minor issue. It was rather tame in house video to be showed at a Christmas party. If Cops didnt have any sense of humour they would have a rather sad existence with all the crap they have to see and go through.

With all the crooked cops and real police misconduct out there its sicken that this gets Coverage.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   

What can one say about this, other than the fact that it shows a white supremicist outlook on people who are less fortunate in life. I hope these people are now judged as they judged the victims they depicted in the movies.

Give me a break. Broad stereotypes are the very foundation of humor and satirical dramatizaions of work-related events is great fun and good for stress relief. San Francisco needs to learn to laugh at itself and get on to more important issues. Oh, I forgot, political correctness is the most important thing in the world. Better to ruin a good man's career than insult transvestites and sex workers.

[edit on 2005/12/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

What can one say about this, other than the fact that it shows a white supremicist outlook on people who are less fortunate in life.

So you think blacks and gays are "less fortunate in life"?

Interesting...

Give you a break indeed. where did I say that Blacks and Gays are less fortunate dear child? You assume too much and put words where none were written.

These police officers are sworn to uphold the law and protect the people. It is not part of their job description in any way shape or form to make fun of, parody and insult those in less fortunate situations than themselves. If they want jobs as satirical comedians they can always leave the force and do The Edinborough tour or whatever its called or join a Seinfield like stand up team. Oh wait they have been suspended, Im sure theres an opening somewhere in comedy parodies just cut for them.

What came as fun for them was at the expense of others and in this case others who suffer miserable lives or discrimination at the best of times. Its a real I am better than them mentality from these officers and to allow these videos to be put in the public domain is lower than despicable.

You may find the whole thing amusing and fun and light hearted entertainment, however the less fortunate in life don't quite see it with your carefree light outlook.

fancy that, I don't know what's worse really, knowing that the people sworn to protect all and treat all equally are doing this, or that there is people out there that condone this act.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I admit I haven't seen the video yet but...

I live SF and can tell you the cops here ARE racist, I see it all the time in my neighbourhood. But ppl turn a blind eye 'cause most of the white folks don't go to the neighbourhoods where the black folks live and ignorance breeds hate.

SF's history is full of cops and gangs of cops who have been busted for violent racial acts.

The police force itself is very segregated, the races don't mix. Even down to "Italian" or "Irish" let alone race...

So I would suggest that any racial "jokes" in this video are VERY funny to the cops, 'cause it's a parady of how they realy are...Above the law and moraly sick. "The cops are watching us, but who is watching the cops?!"

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This PC elitism is driving me crazy.
White supremicist?
This was not a documentary

It was a parody, not unlike Reno 911.

Although, in Reno 911, they show a bunch of white folks, who supposedly
ALL live in trailer parks. I live in Reno, but not in a tralier park..Should I be offended?

It was self deprecating as well.
If a black officer makes fun of himself is HE a racist?

the only thing that even made this newsworthy is that The Mayor "knee jerked" on that one..and some officers were suspended. Who's gonna run his motorcade now?

new topics

top topics

join