It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Politics: Martin says if he is re-elected they will ban hand guns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Toronto has been facing a huge rise in gun violence. Paul Martins answer is to call for a hand gun ban.

ca.... today.reuters.com

TORONTO (Reuters) - Liberals, under pressure to clamp down on gun violence in big cities, will move to impose a total ban on all handguns if they win the January 23 election, Prime Minister Paul Martin said on Thursday.

Canada already has extremely restrictive firearms legislation, but under the Liberal proposal only police and some security officers would be allowed to carry handguns.

So far this year some 50 young men -- most of them black -- have been shot dead in Toronto. Some government officials have blamed the problem in part on smuggling of handguns from neighboring United States.

"I've come to the conclusion that significant change is needed. I've come to the conclusion that we should ban handguns," Martin told a rally in one of the most violent areas of Toronto.

Apart from law and order officers, only target shooters and collectors are currently allowed to own handguns. Martin said there would be a narrow exemption for target shooters but gave no further details.

Martin said Canada would increase the number of police on the borders to try to cut down on smuggling and would bring in stiffer penalties for people who used guns during crimes.

The question of gun control is a tricky one for the Liberals, whose attempt to compile a register of rifles and shotguns in the mid-1990s spiraled out of control. The registry, which was originally designed to break even, has so far cost more than C$2 billion.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well... it sure beats trying to ban rappers from Canada

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Ban handguns... what is this supposed to accomplish exactly?
Most gun owners are law abiding citizens, most handguns that
the criminal element are either stole or more often then not
imported from "down there".

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I have to say banning hand guns is not going to keep them away from criminals. They should really invest in hindering the black market gun trade. I would think that to be more effective.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You know what this opportunistic BS is over? The theft of 20 guns 11 of which was used in a crime one of them a murder. If that isn't a knee-jerk reaction .....

We need Manditory sentancing for Gun Crimes as well.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is just stupid.

Martin is just stupid!

Every day not voting is looking better and better. It really doesn't matter. No party has addressed any issues that I have concerns about yet. Its a shame they do not look at the real problems they face.

The gun registry is a sham. They say they access it thousands of times. Good for them. Too bad the guns used in crimes are not registered.

For every gun registered, the system has cost 100 dollars I believe.

There is a cattle registry program that costs mere cents per cow. The mad cow system has saved lives.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Related topic in ATSNN:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't forget to vote.

top topics

join