It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: E-mail Warning's Tell Shoppers to Stay Clear of Town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Workers at several firms in the English town of Reading, have reported receiving e-mails warning them to stay clear of the Oracle Shopping Centre on Saturday. Thames Valley Police are moving to dispel fears of a threat saying nothing "out of the ordinary" is going to happen and advising shoppers to "go about their normal business".

news.bbc.co.uk
Police have urged shoppers "to go about their normal business" after e-mails warning people to avoid a Berkshire shopping centre were circulated.

Thames Valley Police hopes to dispel rumours that "anything out of the ordinary" is going to happen at Reading's Oracle Shopping Centre.

The e-mails have told people to "stay clear" of the town centre on Saturday.

Officers are now trying to establish the source of the warnings circulated to several firms in the area by e-mail.

Andy Bagnall, the Reading town centre inspector, said: "These e-mail reports are being fully investigated by Thames Valley Police and there is no tangible evidence to indicate that anyone will be at risk.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Whilst I do believe the Police in them saying that there is no threat or risk to shoppers, this sort of thing still makes one nervous. Especially so, seeing as I live in the town in question, barely a mile from the Oracle itself.

I personally think this is a hoax e-mail sent round, at a time of year that many people will be shopping in the town, to cause maximum disruption and fear.

As I understand it, the Police have the means to trace the e-mails sent and will most likely catch those responsible. With this in mind, it reinforces the belief that it is a hoax, as no self respecting Terrorist is going to warn of his attack days in advance, especially those who may be Muslim and seeking "Martyrdom".

Related News Links:
www.reading-guide.co.uk

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You could say that this email in itself is an act of terrorisme.

It disrupts social life and delivers both economic and emotional damage.
As long as no claims are made the political goal is unknown though.

Lets hope it all stays nice and quiet over there and that people get to go and do their shopping as planned.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I voted yes.

Most likely this is a hoax. I doubt terrorists would warn
people away from what they would be going to do. They
want a high body count. This would change that.

It's possible that this could be a ploy by competing stores
to keep people away from certain business' who traditionally
do better in holiday sales - which would be an interesting
conspiracy to discuss.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
most likely a hoax. al qaieda never sends out warnings. the IRA would, but with the long standing cease fire, i doubt it would come from them.

however, i do agree with the poster that said the email in itself is terrorism.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Even if this is a hoax,its still going to generate quite a bit of fear in the area i imagine
.And no doubt the government will use this to promote the ID card,new terror laws etc. even after the e mails are declared a hoax/govt. op/mental patient.

Drip drip drip goes the state propaganda machine...

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
haah! I just read that and thought it was probably some mom who wanted to get her x-mas shopping done hassle-free. You never know, some people are just insane!

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Definately a hoax this. I say this as my housemate came home today beaming with excitement that this rumour was going round and proceeded to tell me the following:

"My mate, Sarah, said her mum found this wallet with nearly £2000 in at the Oracle and...."

At that point I laughed heartily at him for being a plum. The reason being that not only is this a well known Urban Legend, but I actually sent him an e-mail with the very same Legend on it only a couple of weeks ago!

He is of the type to think that he is the first to read/know about things, when the truth is, I tend to know well in advance many of the things he comes home to tell me (mainly due to ATS
). He then went on to try and tell me about these e-mails circulating and I had to say several times,

"I know....I know.....I know....I posted it on ATSNN hours ago...I know...."

So all in all it must be a hoax......

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   
My question is, if a bomb went off in Reading, how many millions of pounds of improvements would it make?

df1

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
... i do agree with the poster that said the email in itself is terrorism.

Give me a break. The email is NOT an act of terrorism and the representation that it is diminishes the seriousness of real acts of terrorism where people end up dead, maimed or otherwise seriously injured. Calling an email terrorism demonstrates that our society has degraded into a bunch of cowardly wimps which tremble in fear over the trite and insignificant.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
really? attempting to prevent free trade and commerce during one of the busiest shopping seasons of the year by threatening death and injury is not a form of terrorism?

from webster:

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism
Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m
Function: noun
: the systematic use of terror especially as a means of coercion

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer
My question is, if a bomb went off in Reading, how many millions of pounds of improvements would it make?

Oi.

Reading Town Centre is quite nice actually...

Now, if your talking about the Oxford Road (Da Ghetto....
), or Whitley, then as far as I am concerned they can firebomb the places...Chavs and wannabe "gangsta's" everywhere....

Although I myself live further down the Oxford Road, away from the Ghetto part, but I would gladly see the place burn and the majority of it's and Whitley's inhabitants rounded up and sent to Greenland....

[edit on 10/12/05 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I can just see it:

Attention Kmart Shoppers: Please put on your flack jackets, as we've received an e-mail bomb threat. If you don't have one with you, we have a half-off blue-light special on them on aisle 10. Have a nice day!

df1

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   

djohnsto77
Attention Kmart Shoppers: Please put on your flack jackets, as we've received an e-mail bomb threat. If you don't have one with you, we have a half-off blue-light special on them on aisle 10. Have a nice day!

You have voted djohnsto77 for the Way Above Top Secret award.

Thank you for giving this article all the respect it deserves.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Thank you for giving this article all the respect it deserves.

Thanks mate. Your cynicism is noted... Why is the article not worthy of respect?

Whilst I acknowledged the very likely possibility of a hoax, it is still news and more relevant to this site than some of the stories that do get posted to ATSNN.

EDIT: Sorry, i knew Dj wasn't being disrespectful, I was aiming at the other poster.

Sorry Dj, the joke was funny

[edit on 10/12/05 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
Thank you for giving this article all the respect it deserves..

Thanks for the wats vote, but my intention wasn't to disrespect stumason or his article.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Kids pulling pranks. It happens.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1
Give me a break. The email is NOT an act of terrorism and the representation that it is diminishes the seriousness of real acts of terrorism where people end up dead, maimed or otherwise seriously injured. Calling an email terrorism demonstrates that our society has degraded into a bunch of cowardly wimps which tremble in fear over the trite and insignificant.
You should look up the definition of terrorism, it doesnt have to be anything physical.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Exactly the same thing happened in Milton Keynes, only the warning was for Sundat and not Saturday!

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I cant belive for a second that anyone would by into this

I got the Milton Keynes one last month & a few years ago one bout Birmingham probably the same person doing them each time.

Harldy an act of terroisum

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
You could say that this email in itself is an act of terrorisme.

It disrupts social life and delivers both economic and emotional damage.
As long as no claims are made the political goal is unknown though.

You're absolutely correct on that. Terrorism takes many forms, not just the physical one, and the email certainly qualifies.

I'd wager that the majority of judges agree with you also.

new topics

top topics

join