It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think a world space agency is a good idea?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Is it me or do many countries (USA, RUSSIA, EU, Japan, China, India, Brazil, Israel) spend billions on getting into space.

My point/question is why not combine all the resources into one large well funded civilian space agency. (Nasa but on steroids take it out of political control put it under the UN and get every country to contribute something Money/materials/manpower.)

If we could cross all the social/political/military boundaries surely this would be a big step forward for the planet.

With all the expertise in the different programs combined we would move forward quickly and each country would not need to spend so much.

Anyway your thoughts please.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I don't think it would work. They'd all be trying to put their home nations interests first. Not to mention that being under control of the UN would make it the laughing stock of the world.

[edit on 12/8/2005 by Zaphod58]

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
We need a change soon or we are going to do something stupid. This is a project which in theory at least would benefit all. Trust your fellow man - not unless I know him well first.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I agree that something needs to be done. But the problem with the UN, which would become the same problem here is that as long as nations see a benefit for them first, and mankind second, you'll never be sucessful at anything like this.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I can think of The money saving side.

Possible mineral collection on the moon and Asteroids brought back and sold on splitting the profits.

New technology access for all.

And a new found sense of community and trust which could calm down some problems at the minute.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Until you cancel out politics and greed, this sort of multinational cooperation really can't work in this day and age. Too many people out for their own interests, let alone their country's interests. Take almost ANY politician in the world, they want what's best for them, they're pocketbooks, country, THEN the constituents... mostly in that order. Forget about any mankind business... it's not that important to greedy politicians.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Because they all know that if would make it harder to hide all the aliens who are up there, on the moon and everywhere else.

NASA astronouts get debriefed by NSA, Russian by FSB, ect ect.

If you combine these, they would have to find some common way to debrief all personal, and to make sure no word gets out about what's up there.

Not to mention the whole idea is stupid, because half those countries know their space programs are just cover ups for the truth.

Plus the fact that many of those countries would be unwilling to work with each other and share info and tech on the level they'd have to in order for this to work.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Leave the USA out and Russia. Let the rest of the world combine. We are sort of doing something together with the world space station are we not?

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Four words:

Look at the ISS!

In other words: No, it's not a good idea. As people have stated, people will put their own nation's needs first. Also, the only nations fully capable of getting to space on their own are the US and Russia. Sure, other nations can put stuff into space, but none have done anything on their own. Yes, I know China did, but with a lot of help from the Russians.

Plus, there would be no competition. If anything, we need another Space Race. Look at all the technology we have today that was developed mainly because the US was trying to outdo the USSR in the Cold War Era.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It's a great idea.

We will have to do this someday to get enough material, manpower and energy together to enter the cosmos.

We must turn the tide of short-sighted selfishness and nationalism into a positive vision of a sustainable world.

Aim for the stars, hit the moon.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manincloak
1. Because they all know that if would make it harder to hide all the aliens who are up there, on the moon and everywhere else.

2. NASA astronouts get debriefed by NSA, Russian by FSB, ect ect.

3. If you combine these, they would have to find some common way to debrief all personal, and to make sure no word gets out about what's up there.

4. Not to mention the whole idea is stupid, because half those countries know their space programs are just cover ups for the truth.

5. Plus the fact that many of those countries would be unwilling to work with each other and share info and tech on the level they'd have to in order for this to work.

well.......1 out of 5 aint bad.

But no, your idea would never work...because space is, and will increasingly become more integrated with a nations military stregth.

If the US and Russia started to share all its space know-how, and rocket tech to any country that wanted it...it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a counrty like Iran will take that info and make a weapons delivery system.

I dont like your idea to be applied to ANYTHING.
I dont want all car makers to combine...that would create no competetivness, and they could charge what ever they wanted. Or One computer maker to make all computers.
Basically what you proposed would do a good job to save a little money...but stiffle inovations.

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Its a good idea, surely we have got to start trusting each other at some point.

Not after a nuclear war,

not after ET visits,

Now.

Or at least in the very near future - what would happen if we had to face a serious problem from space - would america save us all care of bruce willis?

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
nope never don't even think about it,impossible concept

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
In theory this is a wonderful idea and if we could get everyone involved thinking like you this could work. In reality though it just isn't going to happen.

There is still far too much mistrust among the nations involved.

As said above it would stiffle innovation. Like it or not competition breeds innovation.

The UN? no.

Sadly, unless ET lands at the front door of the UN and says "what up dudes?" it's highly unlikely.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Right now it is better with competition to spur further development and research, space progress i still just in it's infancy. But when 10 or more nations have developed space technology where ESA and NASA is today then it's time for colaboration. On the other hand, ESA, Russia and China are all on their way to surpass NASA. As we all know by now, when it comes to China they will sooner or later dominate as the worlds super power. Europe, USA and the rest of Asia will be marginalized so maybe China VS. World in the space race, Eventually I think Russia, rest of Europe and USA will have to cooperate. Besides I think private corporations will eventually take over the space programs and then there will be no end to the competition, hopefully.

top topics

join