It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countdown to Kecksburg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Well, i didn't get many nibbles last time, but with the 40th anniversary of the Kecksburg Event coming up so quickly, I decided to lay the whole thing out out, replies and/or constructive criticism notwithstanding. So far, this is still only theory; the story is incomplete and probably wildly inaccurate in the details. Still, enjoy.

Vandenberg Air Force Base, December 9, 1965. It's just after one o'clock on a peaceful winter afternoon. A Thor-Agena missile sits near the beach on a launch pad known only as 75-3-5. Suddenly, a terrible roar tears through the quiet and on a tail of fire and smoke the missile rises, carrying a top-secret surveillance satellite skyward.

The Thor is accompanied by a number of smaller missiles, sounding rockets, whose avowed purpose is to gather meteorological data pertaining to the launch. They have another mission, unhidden but somewhat less publicized: to confuse any foreign observers who may be cruising the coastal waters, especially those with radar equiped "fishing" boats. The sounding rockets have yet another purpose, one which is considered top-secret: to help hide the OTHER missile which is rising from another launch site just a mile inland.

This other missile lifts into the sky unnoticed, the thunder of its passing mingling with the scream of the Thor. It is a Titan II, its own flame almost invisible against the open blue sky and it leaves behind no billowing smoke trail to betray its path. Many local residents of nearby Lompoc and Santa Maria turn and look up into the early afternoon sun, shielding their eyes from the glare, to watch these mighty sisters take flight. But all eyes are focused on the bright star which is the Thor; most never notice the Titan at all, and those that do will puzzle for a moment, then consider it, perhaps, a mirage, a mere reflection.

As the Thor arcs southward toward the Channel Islands and Baja, the Titan rises near-vertical, then turns eastward over California's high desert. Just over a minute and a half into the flight and around fifty miles downrange the first stage booster falls away, its momentum carring it back to earth some 200 miles from the launch point, into the junkyard known as China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station, where tactical missles are tested and drones are shot from the sky almost daily and an extra piece of metallic debris will not be noticed.

The second stage throttles down to silence about two minutes later. Under other circumstances the second stage and warhead would now be travelling upward about twenty degrees above horizontal, but on this day they leave the atmosphere at a steepeer angle, closer to 50 degrees: this flight is to be shorter than the 9000 nautical miles the Titan is designed to cover. Since the second stage is shut down early nearly half of its fuel is left unburned.

For over twenty minutes the upper half of the Titan coasts. During this time the second stage is supposed separate from its payload, and, using its own manuevering thrusters, move away from the warhead it carries, turning to align itself so that during reentry it will burn up completely. But something is wrong, very wrong.

The payload has failed to separate from the booster. Now, 30 minutes into the flight, the upper stage and warhead enter the atmosphere together north of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Within seconds the strain of reentry ruptures the booster's fuel and oxydizer tanks, and as the missile nears Toledo, Ohio, a tremendous explosion rips it apart. What's left of the booster is blown to the northeast; the more massive warhead is deflected less from its original path but still it misses its target by a few hundred miles, gliding slightly south of east toward the mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania.

It's late and I have to work for a living.
Next: a fresh look at the Great Lakes Fireball of December 9, 1965, and the events at Kecksburg from a new perspective.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Interesting, a really good read as well, and a very new look on the incident! It seems plausible as well. Good post.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I'm not sure why you started another thread, the first one was very good.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As you said previously, this is a good explanation as to why it was covered up. It would be difficult to explain why a nuclear warhead fell from the sky that night, and why it is still kept classified.

But, I would be wondering why was the missile launched?

If there was a threat from an enemy, why was only one missile launched?

Maybe it was launched by accident?

Why was it launched in the direction of the east coast?

It's an interesting theory, but still a few questions remaining.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
NASA confirmed that only one known object re-entered the atmosphere on the date of the Kecksburg incident.

A Russian Satellite , and that was ruled out as a possibility.

We do know that an object did fall to Earth and caused tree damage at the Kecksburg location.

No matter what actually fell to Earth , the Kecksburg incident is a prime example that shows the Military can come in and hush up whole towns if the need to do so arises.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Hal9000: I started the first thread thinking (hoping) to get feedback to refine the theory. Not much happened, so I decided to restart the process, telling the story of just the Kecksburg incident from its beginning in California. Since the 40th anniversary of this event is just two days away, I want to lay out the "what" as far as possible without clogging the board with detailed evidence and before returning to the "why".

This was not an isolated incident; it was part of an ongoing program. Basicly, "they" were testing ICBMs the best way they knew how. Remember, it was a bet-the-house effort back then. There was no room to do it again, it only had to work once but it absolutely HAD to work perfectly. You can do simulations all you want but you never know for sure until you actually try it out. Under those conditions, lobbing nukes over the heads of your own citizens can seem reasonable.

They were launched eastward for the same reason that missiles have been launched interstate for over 50 years: to keep the "other guys" from seeing what was going on. And they were lanched on the longest path possible which would keep the warheads over US soil.

Please keep the questions coming, and don't be kind; I keep thinking there has to be something I've overlooked, but so far it all falls together, which is pretty scary.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rand

Please keep the questions coming, and don't be kind; I keep thinking there has to be something I've overlooked, but so far it all falls together, which is pretty scary.

O.k. here's what I'm thinking ,

A. "you" have the missile launching Southward and ending up in Kecksburg, after making a turn ?...

B. NASA has publicly said nothing entered or re-entered the atmosphere on that day other than the Russian satellite .

If you are making a "claim" then the burden of proof is on you.

See my personal theory about a counter Intelligence operation involving Roswell.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have laid out the evidence and taken on the Burden of proof . Although I have yet to be challenged on it.

You should also make a case for your opinion that a missile was launched and ended up in Kecksburg.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by lost_shaman]

posted on Dec, 9 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lost_shaman
A. "you" have the missile launching Southward and ending up in Kecksburg, after making a turn ?...
B. NASA has publicly said nothing entered or re-entered the atmosphere on that day other than the Russian satellite .

A. No, I said the missile was launched eastward, from Vandenberg AFB, California. It blew up over Ohio, with part travelling over Ontario and the warhead flying east into Pennsylvania. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

B. NASA publically stated that the object was not a Russian satellite. Their only other statements on the subject said that they didn't specifically know of anything else it could be. More like, "Well, we sure didn't see anything." That makes a certain sense. An eastward launch would miss every satellite tracking radar in the US, except one, and those guys were in on the secret.

Also, if you search through the NSSDC spacecraft catalog you'll find that NASA doesn't catalog sub-orbital flights, so every Titan test launch is missing, including the announced shots. NASA didn't track sub-orbitals. Besides, the radar sites belonged to the military.

And I agree with you about Roswell, as far as the coverups go. That's a good piece of research. (But I think the coverup was designed to hide a deeper secret...
).

[edit on 9-12-2005 by rand]

join