It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible is not the word of god

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
saint, i can't find any passages in the bible regarding religious tolerance.

can you give me a little bit of help.

also, while you're at it, could you please cite passages regarding:

democracy?

genocide?

pedophilia?

suicide?

terrorism?

vegaterianism?

women's rights?

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
saint, i can't find any passages in the bible regarding religious tolerance.

can you give me a little bit of help.

I'll help by saying that I don't see any either. On the contrary, it talks about division between followers and non-followers. Among followers, it does speak of unity. (1 Corinthians 1:10)

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
also, while you're at it, could you please cite passages regarding:

democracy?

genocide?

pedophilia?

suicide?

terrorism?

vegaterianism?

women's rights?

Why? I mean I could, but I'd rather just send you a copy of the Book if you really need that much information. Will me going through point-by-point make you a believer? No, that takes a separate action by your initiative.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:06 AM
link   

saint, i can't find any passages in the bible regarding religious tolerance. ,

it is true that the word tolerance does not occur in either the New nor the Old Testaments. There is though a couple of references that could be considered as promoting religious tolerance.
Micah in the Old Testament who forsees an end to all wars
Micah 4:3-5

they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hat spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever."

There are a few in the New Testament such as when Jesus refused to condemn Non-Believers, calls for Christians to treat Jewish people with respect etc.
Here is a good reference for this info:
ReligousTolerance

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Thanks Kenshiro!
Although, I'm not sure Micah is talking about religious tolerance as you've quoted. Rather it looks like a recognition and clarity in God to where there is no more disputes. It's true that Jesus did not bash people because of their beliefs, but at the same time called for division in Luke 12:49 as well as other places. The Epistles reinforces, and Revelation shows it at reckoning.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by spamandham
Do you consider slavery and constant warfare to be good ways to live? What about polygamy and child sacrifice? These are depicted in a positive light in the Bible.

Actually not.

Actually, yes.

Originally posted by saint4God
To say it is good because it is mentioned is missing the point of the Old Testament entirely.

I'm not missing any point, because there is no cohesive point to the Old Testament, or even the New. It's only because you assume the Bible originated from god that you think there is a cohesive point. I make no such assumption.

I view it as a collection of religious books documenting the transition of Hebrew society from tribal polytheism to modern monotheism, then appended by Christian mythology documenting the Greek Logos as it transitioned from a mystical concept to being historicized in Jesus.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
You said that the bible doesn't claim to be God's word. Yes it does and it is.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
(KJV)

2Pe 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost. [in old time: or, at any time]
(KJV)

Mt 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
(KJV)

What did Jesus Do when tempted of satan? He quoted the bible to him.
Here are some examples:

Mt 2:5 Mt 4:4-7, 10 , Mt 11:10 Mt 21:13 Mt 26:24 Mr 1:2, 7:6 9:12-13
14:21,27 Lu 2:23 3:4 4:4, 8, 10 7:27 19:46

Mt 26:31 ¶ Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.

[edited cut and paste -nygdan]

[edit on 6-1-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
Spamandham, do I note a bit of tension in your posts? Did you just say that one of us is.... stupid? By scientific deduction you would imply that it isn't you so you would be meaning me which means you called me stupid. Welcome home man!

The one thing that I think really screws it all up for you is that you cannot explain with reasonable thought who or what created the universe and how did it begin and from what. It's easy to say, "I can't see God so He can't exist, ro Who created God?" But we are IN the universe as a fact so lets go science! Lets use deductive reasoning and see if we can find the answer.... ready?

1. The universe exists
2. The universe had a beginning
3. If the universe is a fact and it had a beginning, how did it happen?
4. If the universe is a fact and it had a beginning, and we know it happened, what was the "cause of action"?
5. If the universe was "caused to happen" what was "factor" event to initiate it.

Let us theorize:

1. It was the natural occurance of undefined yet unknown properties the had "pre-existed" the present universe.

2. It was intelligently created as a demension of habitation and existence to the purpose and intent of the creator.

Let us test:

Something from nothing at all abscent of intelligence: This possibility is impossible as I attempted to take a hundred dollar bill from my empty pocket and could not. I had no power or substance in which to "cause" this event, and in the impossible event that it did happen it would have been "created" Option #1 Test failed.

Something from something greator or different: This is vaid as I can combine molecules of air to create water. Both are less than the volume of the whole and do create another substance. From a mountain I can take a stone and form it into a brick. From this I understand that I can effect change by intelligence. The universe had a beginning and it is valid to consider that it was put into existence by that which was not of the universe. The causation was intention because I can see it's end result and I understand that science believes it to be limited and possibly not infinate. I will call the force "energy". All matter is actual a degree of force, all atomic in nature and yet set in perfect order. This force does not relent in any way but is uniform thoughout the universe. Intelligence fits into the equation due to tension, cohesion, and random kaos, which would immmediately occur otherwise. Without intelligence, there could be no order, without order there could be no beginning or continuance, no stability.

Final thought: The universe is the result of intentional action by an outside force by intelligence. The source of the intelligence, while cannot be known is not within the confines of the universe nor subject to the laws of time and space. The universe, that it exists, is the evidence of and by itself that is real. It exists. And was put here by that which was and is in existance from outside of it.

Your thoughts Spamandham.. or anyone on the atheist side. Hit me with the science!

Your first test disproves your second test. Something would have had to create "that which was and is in exisitance from outside of it".

Your argument is flawed.. Weather the first particle ever to exist poped out of nothingness or a god poped out of nothingness is the question.

Did a God create that first particle? If so what created the god? its more likely that some energy has always exisited in the infinte vast nothingness of space and at some point that energy caused the first matter to appear which propagated itelf over billions of years into what we call the universe.

Humainty may well be god. We maybe the first intelligent creation withen the universe that can create new things.

We humans are the gods of this universe for now...

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No Offence to Anyone. After this you may also think im athiest or something, but no i have a religion, im gnostic to be more specific, but to what im going to say.

Now, God is just our imagination. In the beginning, when man first came to be, they created the god we may think of today and pray to. They created this god becuase they felt they were alone and needed something to make them feel better. Later in history, more religions were created because the people following the original god, werent liking it to much. They went off and created their own. From that point, more and more were made based off the very first.

This god we pray to, is just our imagination, nothing more, nothing less....

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rekar
No Offence to Anyone. After this you may also think im athiest or something, but no i have a religion, im gnostic to be more specific, but to what im going to say.

This god we pray to, is just our imagination, nothing more, nothing less....

Aren't Gnostics theists?

[edit on 6/1/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 07:02 PM
link   
M-Theory, Superstring Theory, Quantum Physics.

The universe has alway's existed. There was never a begining nor and end. It just was. As we know now, the vacuum of space isn't just "nothing". It's a sea of energy with virtual particle's popping into and out of existence in pairs (quantum physics). These particle's could be nothing more then bit's of vibrating strands of energy (superstring theory). The event that could have caused our universe to "big bang" is described in M-Theory. From what i've read so far into it, two parellel universe's, our's and another residing on a 5th dimensional plane collided with on another with enough energy to create all the matter we see today and the observable effect's of the big bang that we see today. As you can see from this articel www.hep.princeton.edu... it's not entirely impossible for matter to spring forth from energy. While this may not be HOW it happened, it's still a possible way for it to happen that doesn't require the need for any godly power's at all. Just a small understanding of physics.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You mean Athiests? No, its hard to explain really, but if you wish to know, ask, ill e happy to tell you.

posted on Jan, 6 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by rekar
You mean Athiests? No, its hard to explain really, but if you wish to know, ask, ill e happy to tell you.

No, I mean theists.

I was under the impression that Gnostics believed in a God....

If you want to clarify this feel free to send me a U2U, since it seems we're getting a bit off track

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i cant send u2u, i dont have 20 posts, hehe, so if yo want to send me a message or go to www.gnosticweb.org or something, be my guest, lol

posted on Jan, 8 2006 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
M-Theory, Superstring Theory, Quantum Physics.

The universe has alway's existed. There was never a begining nor and end. It just was. As we know now, the vacuum of space isn't just "nothing". It's a sea of energy with virtual particle's popping into and out of existence in pairs (quantum physics). These particle's could be nothing more then bit's of vibrating strands of energy (superstring theory). The event that could have caused our universe to "big bang" is described in M-Theory. From what i've read so far into it, two parellel universe's, our's and another residing on a 5th dimensional plane collided with on another with enough energy to create all the matter we see today and the observable effect's of the big bang that we see today. As you can see from this articel www.hep.princeton.edu... it's not entirely impossible for matter to spring forth from energy. While this may not be HOW it happened, it's still a possible way for it to happen that doesn't require the need for any godly power's at all. Just a small understanding of physics.

the vedas actually believe something similar to this. they call that energy
the atman and believe its the creator of the universe and everything in it.
but they believe that the energy has a conciousness.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
my first argument to support this statement is the fact that none of the books of the bible even claim to be the word of god. they are title 'The gospel according to ????'.

Who is to say that the authors of these books are not corrupt people perpetuating a lie?

[edit on 8-12-2005 by Conspiracy Theorist]

Christ claimed to be the word of God in the flesh.

and :" in the beginning, is the Word, which is God "

and I guess those authors just wrote what they might have seen.

AA

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Are you sure they wrote down what they saw, or just wrote down what they wanted?

Yes, the veda's have alot of interesting information in them. I'm currently trying to get everything I can, the text's. If you know a site where I can download them all please U2U it to me. I've already got one book.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt

Are you sure they wrote down what they saw, or just wrote down what they wanted?

Yes, the veda's have alot of interesting information in them. I'm currently trying to get everything I can, the text's. If you know a site where I can download them all please U2U it to me. I've already got one book.

when you question one author, why wouldn't you question the other.

Indeed, on his teaching, but the again, one who writes a tail, what is he to be judged on? might be true, might not be, but even then, when even this tail reveals thruths, what more does one need, the story on itself hasn't therefore to be true.

greets

[edit on 9-1-2006 by alienaddicted]

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
How do you know it's true? Can you verify that a god created all that we see or is it all just a matter of faith is all the verification that you need? Can you verify alot of the miracle's said to have happened in the bible, or do we just except the word written due to our faith?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
but what if God is creation, as He is. Manifested in might be limitless ways, should be, ought to be, don't get messy.

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Again, how can you verify, or is faith the only verification one can come up with?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join