It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

The Bible is not the word of god

page: 15
2
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
Could you please explain to me why this thread is 14 pages long,


I shall try. *clears throat* Because there is not a subjective answer to the question (or rather statement) to the topic heading, but rather definitive. When there is a definitive answer two sides will argue. I'll explain. If it were subjective, everyone would say, "who knows?" and move on. Being that there is an answer, those who have the answer will defend it against those who do not. How'd I do?


Originally posted by mytym
as it "seems" from your comments that we have all been wasting our time, including you, trying to prove something that is a known fact?


I'm not trying to prove anything. I'll help others obtain proof if they like.


Originally posted by mytym
Ok let me see if I have this right:

According to you:
God does not lie. The Bible is the word of God, thus the Bible does not lie. Therefore everything in the Bible is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. How am I doing so far? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Could you please direct me to the section in the Bible that refers to the Dinosaurs, as I don't seem to be able to find it?


Where did I say the Bible contains all knowledge of the known universe. You would be correct though in saying the Bible is true.




posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The bible is true!?
www.skepticsannotatedbible.com...
Look at this link and tell me what parts are the truth, and what parts I can just ignore.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
im not trying to prove anything. I'll help others obtain proof if they like.


Yes i want u to help me obtain proof, but right here in the thread where any interested party can follow if they like.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist

Originally posted by saint4God
im not trying to prove anything. I'll help others obtain proof if they like.


Yes i want u to help me obtain proof, but right here in the thread where any interested party can follow if they like.


I must admit, that such an "exchange" would be very interesting IMO and potentially educational ... given the appearance that Conspiracy Theorist is the thread originator ... I am thinking that there would be no objections to the issue of potential divergence from the original thread intent? ... its not that I have anything against u2u ... its just a perference to the principle of open exchange of information/views as promoted by methods utilizing SM.


... I suppose any moderator presently assessing this thread can answer the question as to whether the request by Conspiracy Theorist is permissible under the guidelines set forth by Admin?

LCKob



[edit on 26-1-2006 by LCKob]



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
The bible is true!?
www.skepticsannotatedbible.com...
Look at this link and tell me what parts are the truth, and what parts I can just ignore.


The parts that are the truth are the verbatim complete books of the Bible. The rest you can ignore.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
Yes i want u to help me obtain proof, but right here in the thread where any interested party can follow if they like.


As I said.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by mytym
Could you please explain to me why this thread is 14 pages long,


I shall try. *clears throat* Because there is not a subjective answer to the question (or rather statement) to the topic heading, but rather definitive. When there is a definitive answer two sides will argue. I'll explain. If it were subjective, everyone would say, "who knows?" and move on. Being that there is an answer, those who have the answer will defend it against those who do not. How'd I do?

I accept that, good response.


Originally posted by mytym
as it "seems" from your comments that we have all been wasting our time, including you, trying to prove something that is a known fact?


I'm not trying to prove anything. I'll help others obtain proof if they like.

I beg to differ. You were using the Bible quotes from Exodus and other books directly to "prove their was a 2nd set of commandments given to Moses. How'd I do?


Originally posted by mytym
Ok let me see if I have this right:

According to you:
God does not lie. The Bible is the word of God, thus the Bible does not lie. Therefore everything in the Bible is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. How am I doing so far? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Could you please direct me to the section in the Bible that refers to the Dinosaurs, as I don't seem to be able to find it?


Where did I say the Bible contains all knowledge of the known universe. You would be correct though in saying the Bible is true.


Where did I say the Bible contains all knowledge of the known Universe? Please tell me where the reference to dinosaurs is?



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by LCKob
I must admit, that such an "exchange" would be very interesting IMO and potentially educational ... given the appearance that Conspiracy Theorist is the thread originator ... I am thinking that there would be no objections to the issue of potential divergence from the original thread intent? ... its not that I have anything against u2u ... its just a perference to the principle of open exchange of information/views as promoted by methods utilizing SM.

LCKob


I agree that the idea has merit, but it is not on-topic, is lengthy and is difficult to talk to someone personally via broadcast. It's like holding a press-conference where each reporter gets to say 1 sentence and I have to address them all. The speaker has to manage or multi quite a bit. It's a bit unfair to the people who "wander into the room" as well as they don't get to follow the progression and make an input on point A when we're discussing point M. I see where you're coming from and is an interesting prospect (God knows I'd want nothing more than to be able to talk to everyone at once about it) but functionally and practically, don't know how it would be possible to maintain progress.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
Where did I say the Bible contains all knowledge of the known Universe?


Hey, that was my question. Oh...forgot the "?" My bad. Nevertheless you'll see it's phrased the same as yours and am saying that the Bible does not contain all the knowledge of th known Universe. Life would be pretty boring if it did.


Originally posted by mytym
Please tell me where the reference to dinosaurs is?


I've heard speculation that leviathans, behemoths and such in the Book implies dinosaurs, but I don't believe there is mention of them. I would have answered the question more directly if I knew my question didn't establish this point.

[edit on 26-1-2006 by saint4God]



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LCKob

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist

Originally posted by saint4God
im not trying to prove anything. I'll help others obtain proof if they like.


Yes i want u to help me obtain proof, but right here in the thread where any interested party can follow if they like.


I must admit, that such an "exchange" would be very interesting IMO and potentially educational ... given the appearance that Conspiracy Theorist is the thread originator ... I am thinking that there would be no objections to the issue of potential divergence from the original thread intent? ... its not that I have anything against u2u ... its just a perference to the principle of open exchange of information/views as promoted by methods utilizing SM.


... I suppose any moderator presently assessing this thread can answer the question as to whether the request by Conspiracy Theorist is permissible under the guidelines set forth by Admin?

LCKob



[edit on 26-1-2006 by LCKob]


If it is against the rules then i retract my request.

I made the request because saint4god seems to imply the he has all the answers, if only i'd take the time to u2u him.

I say, post them here, in public for everyone to see and comment on.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
LCKob:

I must admit, that such an "exchange" would be very interesting IMO and potentially educational ... given the appearance that Conspiracy Theorist is the thread originator ... I am thinking that there would be no objections to the issue of potential divergence from the original thread intent? ... its not that I have anything against u2u ... its just a perference to the principle of open exchange of information/views as promoted by methods utilizing SM.

saint4god:

I agree that the idea has merit, but it is not on-topic, is lengthy and is difficult to talk to someone personally via broadcast.


LCKob:

I think I covered the issue on thread divergence ... as for it being easy, I would think that 14 pages of views is evidence that the topic is not "easy" by default.


saint4god:


It's like holding a press-conference where each reporter gets to say 1 sentence and I have to address them all. The speaker has to manage or multi quite a bit. It's a bit unfair to the people who "wander into the room" as well as they don't get to follow the progression and make an input on point A when we're discussing point M. I see where you're coming from and is an interesting prospect (God knows I'd want nothing more than to be able to talk to everyone at once about it) but functionally and practically, don't know how it would be possible to maintain progress.


LCKob:

I see your point, but would contend that the issues you bring up are not insurmountable ... as long as they are recognized and addressed as such ...
and to balance the scales so to speak, such an open approach would IMO sit better with those so inclined to a SM inclination for assessment principles (myself inluded) ... thus you get better receptivity by virtue of open and unbiased approach with no possible "hidden" or deceptive element attributable to the promotion of your view and method of "helping others obtain the proof for a particular perception."

If Conspiracy Theorist is asking you to be his teacher/mentor/??, think of it as a magnanimous jesture to open your "class" to other observing students.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
I made the request because saint4god seems to imply the he has all the answers,


Oops, then I've misrepresented myself. Sorry to those who thought this. To clarify I know He who has all the answers.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
I made the request because saint4god seems to imply the he has all the answers,


Oops, then I've misrepresented myself. Sorry to those who thought this. To clarify I know He who has all the answers.


Then can u provide me with an email address or phone number for this person u allege to know personally.

while ur at it a photo would be good too, i like to know who im corresponding with.



posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
quote: Originally posted by mytym
Where did I say the Bible contains all knowledge of the known Universe?

quote: Originally posted in response by Saint4God
Hey, that was my question. Oh...forgot the "?" My bad. Nevertheless you'll see it's phrased the same as yours and am saying that the Bible does not contain all the knowledge of th known Universe. Life would be pretty boring if it did.

mytym:
You implied that I said you made the statement that the Bible contains all knowledge of the known Universe. I want you to show me where I said that of you. This is getting confusing!

quote: Originally posted by mytym
Please tell me where the reference to dinosaurs is?

quote: Originally posted in response by Saint4God
I've heard speculation that leviathans, behemoths and such in the Book implies dinosaurs, but I don't believe there is mention of them. I would have answered the question more directly if I knew my question didn't establish this point.

mytym:
Firstly, I fail to see why this area of the Bible needs to be interpreted when other areas are to be taken literally. How does one decide which sections are to be taken literally and which sections are meant to have their implications extracted from them? This point aside, when do you suppose these "implied dinosaurs" existed? As the Bible indicates that the world was created approx 6-8,000 years ago I imagine that the dinosaurs lived among us. Furthermore they amazingly all died out through natural causes as I can't recall any documented major world-threatening disasters happening between then and now. Feel free to offer an alternative explanation.



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:28 AM
link   
ive heard a lot about bible conspiracy theories especially after reading the da vinci code but one of the things i learnt as a little kid studying my religion (islam) is that the bible was the word until a certain point when men decided to rewrite it and history proves this point.
history will also show that the quran has been unchanged since its arrival down to earth. arabic language scolars both muslim and non muslim will tell you that the quran's use of language is indeed divine and scientists will tell you that the quran has many scientific reference that is accurate. the quran talks about the water cycle and how the earth was always round.
so there is no reason for someone who has looked closely at the quran to believe that the ALL of it is the word of God and no reason to believe that any of it is not the word of God.
and by the way whats goin on in the world today is not caused by religion but lack of religion. if ur religion tells u to kill innoncent people then that religion is not worth worshipping. what osama bin laden is doin has nothin to do with what i believe



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
Then can u provide me with an email address or phone number for this person u allege to know personally.


Sorry, He only answers knee-mail...and you already know the proper address.


Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
while ur at it a photo would be good too, i like to know who im corresponding with.


Last person who saw Him was turned into a pillar of salt... I don't think that would be beneficial to either of us.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by saint4God]



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
You implied that I said you made the statement that the Bible contains all knowledge of the known Universe. I want you to show me where I said that of you. This is getting confusing!


Sorry, I think I started the confusion because I meant that sentence as a question but ended it with a period. To clarify, I am not claiming the Bible contains all knowledge of the known (or even unknown) universe.


Originally posted by mytym
Firstly, I fail to see why this area of the Bible needs to be interpreted when other areas are to be taken literally.


I agree.


Originally posted by mytym
How does one decide which sections are to be taken literally and which sections are meant to have their implications extracted from them?


That's a good question. Any "pro-dino's in the Bible" people wanna address?


Originally posted by mytym
This point aside, when do you suppose these "implied dinosaurs" existed?


Dunno, not me stating it.


Originally posted by mytym
As the Bible indicates that the world was created approx 6-8,000 years ago I imagine that the dinosaurs lived among us.


I've heard that was the contention, though disagree.


Originally posted by mytym
Furthermore they amazingly all died out through natural causes as I can't recall any documented major world-threatening disasters happening between then and now. Feel free to offer an alternative explanation.


What killed of the dinosaurs? Good one, not sure. My favorite line of thinking is related to being large. I'm sure being cold-blooded didn't help. One thing that sucks about college Biology is they don't go very far into that science. High School briefly, but dino's become extinct in college. Probably because there's a separate science devoted to ancient studies.



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
Then can u provide me with an email address or phone number for this person u allege to know personally.


Sorry, He only answers knee-mail...and you already know the proper address.


Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist
while ur at it a photo would be good too, i like to know who im corresponding with.


Last person who saw Him was turned into a pillar of salt... I don't think that would be beneficial to either of us.




Oh saint4God,that was`nt wasted on someone who would`nt or could`nt appreciate it



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
quote: Originally posted by mytym
Firstly, I fail to see why this area of the Bible needs to be interpreted when other areas are to be taken literally.

quote: Originally posted in response by Saint4God
I agree.

mytym:
If that is the case why does one need to imply that levathins and bohemiths (sorry about the spelling) are dinosaurs? The fact that you say it implies this indicates that men, not God wrote this section and "interpreted it" in a way they could understand in their time. If it was truly the word of God wouldn't it be unerstandable by all through all time? If it doesn't need to be interpreted as you atest to then it is not a reference to the dinosaurs so please explain why there is no reference to them?

quote: Originally posted by mytym
How does one decide which sections are to be taken literally and which sections are meant to have their implications extracted from them?

quote: Originally posted by in response Saint4God
That's a good question. Any "pro-dino's in the Bible" people wanna address?

mytym:
Am I to take it from this that you agree certain areas of the Bible need interpretation? If so it is not the word of God for the reasons mentioned above. It, at best, is the word of man interpreting God's word.

quote: Originally posted by mytym
As the Bible indicates that the world was created approx 6-8,000 years ago I imagine that the dinosaurs lived among us.

quote: Originally posted in response by Saint4God
I've heard that was the contention, though disagree.

mytym:
I don't believe I read the line above correctly, I thought it said you disagree! As the Bible does indicate that the Earth was created in this time I guess you disagree with the Bible, despite stating that it is all true? How can that be? How do you choose which areas to believe and which not to? I have a Bible that we used in religious studies at high school and it even has a timeline one of the pages on the back showing that the time the earth was created was 4,600 BC if I recall correctly. In lieu of this you need only trace through each generation from Adam & Eve through all the children (begat this and begat that) to verify this.

quote: Originally posted by mytym
Furthermore they amazingly all died out through natural causes as I can't recall any documented major world-threatening disasters happening between then and now. Feel free to offer an alternative explanation.

quote: Originally posted in response by Saint4God
What killed of the dinosaurs? Good one, not sure. My favorite line of thinking is related to being large. I'm sure being cold-blooded didn't help. One thing that sucks about college Biology is they don't go very far into that science. High School briefly, but dino's become extinct in college. Probably because there's a separate science devoted to ancient studies.
-

mytym:
So you don't find it odd that there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible? I'm surprised that people didn't think it worth mentioning despite the fact they must have spent most of their lives evading these monsters. Or were the dinosaurs confined to parts of the world that weren't inhabited by humans?

Please tell me when believe the dinosaurs existed and when you believe the world was created?

PS: Please excuse the fact that I don't quote conventionally in my posts as I find it too frustrating. I hope it doesn't make it too difficult to understand.



posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
If that is the case why does one need to imply that levathins and bohemiths (sorry about the spelling) are dinosaurs?


I don't know. Ask someone who implies this.


Originally posted by mytym
The fact that you say it implies this indicates that men, not God wrote this section and "interpreted it" in a way they could understand in their time.


Or, God gave it to them in a way they would understand the point. Again, not my thinking on it.


Originally posted by mytym
If it was truly the word of God wouldn't it be unerstandable by all through all time?


Why would it be?


Originally posted by mytym
If it doesn't need to be interpreted as you atest to then it is not a reference to the dinosaurs so please explain why there is no reference to them?


Because dinosaurs are not the key to salvation.


Originally posted by mytym
Am I to take it from this that you agree certain areas of the Bible need interpretation? If so it is not the word of God for the reasons mentioned above. It, at best, is the word of man interpreting God's word.


Please give me the opportunity to answer your question first. No, I don't agree areas of the Bible require interpretation.


Originally posted by mytym
I don't believe I read the line above correctly, I thought it said you disagree!


Right.


Originally posted by mytym
As the Bible does indicate that the Earth was created in this time


Where?


Originally posted by mytym
I guess you disagree with the Bible, despite stating that it is all true?


No.


Originally posted by mytym
How can that be?


See above.


Originally posted by mytym
How do you choose which areas to believe and which not to?


I don't "choose" areas to believe and not to.


Originally posted by mytym
I have a Bible that we used in religious studies at high school and it even has a timeline one of the pages on the back showing that the time the earth was created was 4,600 BC if I recall correctly.


Is it too late to get a refund?


Originally posted by mytym
In lieu of this you need only trace through each generation from Adam & Eve through all the children (begat this and begat that) to verify this.


Hardly "verifyable" evidence to the age of the universe. I've heard the theory before and disagree.


Originally posted by mytym
Furthermore they amazingly all died out through natural causes as I can't recall any documented major world-threatening disasters happening between then and now. Feel free to offer an alternative explanation.


My explanation is that we don't know how old the universe is. I can only "recall" the years that I've live on earth, which historically speaking is not very long.


Originally posted by mytym
So you don't find it odd that there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible?


Nope. The only people (per my discussion about not being taught in college) who seem to care are high school teachers, high school students, and those who have decided to specialize in it.


Originally posted by mytym
I'm surprised that people didn't think it worth mentioning despite the fact they must have spent most of their lives evading these monsters.


Did they? Says you, not me.


Originally posted by mytym
Or were the dinosaurs confined to parts of the world that weren't inhabited by humans?


I don't see why they would be if they existed at the same time...though I don't think they did. Could be wrong.


Originally posted by mytym
Please tell me when believe the dinosaurs existed and when you believe the world was created?


As the scientists I worked with would say, "I don't know". Do you know?


Originally posted by mytym
PS: Please excuse the fact that I don't quote conventionally in my posts as I find it too frustrating. I hope it doesn't make it too difficult to understand.


It's more challenging for me, but respect your freedom to use the style that works for you.

[edit on 27-1-2006 by saint4God]



new topics

top topics



 
2
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

log in

join