It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bible is not the word of god

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
blackguard, it isn't FAITH in god not existing, it's looking at the evidence and saying that there is no physical evidence specifically pointing to the existence of the divine.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Faith begins where Reason sinks exhausted.
Albert Pike

And I agree no proof exists, but were God real that would still be true. What of the billions of people who are believers, and who outnumber atheists by at least a 20 to 1 ratio. Are the 95% wrong and the 5% right? Maybe, but there is something there worth consideration. I don't know if God exists, what God would be if he did, or what difference it makes.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
We are all entitled to our own beliefs and interpretations of the Bible, yes?
Each interpretation is a personal thing.....and acceptable, whether others agree with it or not. Here is mine.

The basis of the bible is God, and loving your fellow man....(armageddon aside, that's Man's doing not God's imo).
If the ENTIRE world based their beliefs on God and love - wow, can you imagine for a moment how wonderful the world would be? Keep the basic teachings simple instead of dissecting every world in that book and taking it all word for word literally!.

It is Man's interpretations and chinese whispers that have created a book that has led to more murders and wars than any other cause in history.
Well, apart from greed

The bible is NOT the word of God - not one single person could honestly prove it is. So, that leaves us peons in this realm to believe what we FEEL is right. Knock yerselves out...

Religion, is a whole different ballgame. Its heirachy make me sick, They are ORDINARY people - nothing more, and they have corrupted the good in this world with their cover-ups and hypocrisy. As a child of 11, I was FORCED to be segregated to the back pews of the church while my entire school had mass. Purely because I was a God believer, but from a different church.

That sure as hell isn't being loving. I think perhaps the top fellows of the churches worldwide need to re-read and re-interpret Man's word. My faith tells me that prejudice and hypocrisy aren't very Godly like.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I will bless those who heed my commandments and I will smite those who disobey me. The awful wrath of God awaits those who do not worship him.
Is that possible? Not to me. If God exists, my feeling is that he would be pure, unconditional love. He would forgive, and he would require no faith, no worship, and would not play favourites with the worlds faiths.
Or maybe he'll damn me to hell for eternity. I'll risk it.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I could not have said it better myself. The Bible is not the literal word of God. It is when we take it literally that that conflict arises. It can be interpreted differently by every reader and one should take as much or as little out of it as they see fit.

Perhaps in trying to consider what is true and what is false, we must contemplate the possiblity that we as physical humans living in the confines of a three dimensional existence are not equipped to solve these problems. Perhaps the solutions may be reserved for those living in higher dimensions?

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytym
It can be interpreted differently by every reader and one should take as much or as little out of it as they see fit.
Perhaps in trying to consider what is true and what is false, we must contemplate the possiblity that we as physical humans living in the confines of a three dimensional existence are not equipped to solve these problems.

I feel if God exists, we could not know the nature of God, nor define God. But as far as one reading and making up their own mind, when what is at risk is ones eternal soul, does it make sense to let someone else tell you which way to go? Not with me, I'll make my own mistakes, at least that way I won't have anyone else to blame. If I interpret it totally differently than most, that is fine by me, I have no problem with us all being on the right path, different as they may be.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Follow witty men and meet the same end.

Being witty does sound fun, but the part about "following" seems a bit overrated.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
What of the billions of people who are believers, and who outnumber atheists by at least a 20 to 1 ratio. Are the 95% wrong and the 5% right?

The actual numbers are about 2 to 1 of those who believe in a god vs. those who don't, but who's counting?

I see no reason 66.6% couldn't be wrong, or even 95%. There are optical illusions that will fool almost everyone. Common sense and intuition only work well in the everyday world.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I feel if God exists, we could not know the nature of God, nor define God.

Why do you feel that? If god can not be defined or comprehended, in what sense does he/she/it/they exist at all? You are performing unnecessary mental gymnastics.

But as far as one reading and making up their own mind, when what is at risk is ones eternal soul,

What makes you think that you have a soul, or that it is eternal, or that this nebulous incomprehensible god thing is in control of it and cares about what you think enough to jeapardize the nebulous soul thing?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:49 AM
link   
www.odci.gov...

From above site: the worlds faiths,

Christians 33.03% (of which Roman Catholics 17.33%, Protestants 5.8%, Orthodox 3.42%, Anglicans 1.23%), Muslims 20.12%, Hindus 13.34%, Buddhists 5.89%, Sikhs 0.39%, Jews 0.23%, other religions 12.61%, non-religious 12.03%, atheists 2.36% (2004 est.)

If we exclude the non religious as they are undecided, we have about 85 to generously 2.5, which is about 34 to 1 for theists vs. atheists. Even higher than I thought, thanks for motivating me to confirm my post. If you want to say the 12% non religious are all atheist, it is still 6 to 1. Where did 2 to 1 come from?

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Spamandham: Are you demanding that all things be culpable to our own understandings, otherwise they do not exist to us? This is what it sounds like you are saying.

By defining god, you have set a boundary around an entity which can have none.

The universe does not have to shape itself to the will of man, nor does everything in the universe have to accomodate our understanding or our rational interpretation of reality. Nothing HAS to... we would only LIKE for it to be so.

"There are more things in the heavens and earth, Horatio, than are dream't of in your philosophy."

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

I feel if God exists, we could not know the nature of God, nor define God.

Why do you feel that? If god can not be defined or comprehended, in what sense does he/she/it/they exist at all? You are performing unnecessary mental gymnastics.

But as far as one reading and making up their own mind, when what is at risk is ones eternal soul,

What makes you think that you have a soul, or that it is eternal, or that this nebulous incomprehensible god thing is in control of it and cares about what you think enough to jeapardize the nebulous soul thing?

I always do things the hard way, and I agree, after much study, I have found that I feel determining the nature of God is an unnecessary thing to pursue, being beyond human comprehension and all.
I have dozens of personal experiences which convinced me over a period of decades that we have a soul which lives on after death. If you don't agree, thats great, I support your independent decision.
I have no firm, solid view that there is no God, as you appear to, although I see no evidence that has suggested there to be such a being, other than the 85% of the worlds population being a fairly large bit of hearsay evidence. 5 000 000 000 people can't be wrong? I won't say they are anyway. I don't believe that were God real, he'd care in the slightest what I think of him, or whether I believed or not. He's too busy staving off the boredom that any omnipotent being must face.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
BlackGuardXIII:

I feel if God exists, we could not know the nature of God, nor define God. But as far as one reading and making up their own mind, when what is at risk is ones eternal soul, does it make sense to let someone else tell you which way to go? Not with me, I'll make my own mistakes, at least that way I won't have anyone else to blame. If I interpret it totally differently than most, that is fine by me, I have no problem with us all being on the right path, different as they may be.

LCKob:

The problem here, as I see it is that as far as your statement goes, its commendable for being liberal, flexible and very tolerant of other views ... which are all to the good ... unfortunately, for every reasonable view there are are many unreasonable ones ... views which exclude or literally damn the non participant in a particular dogma or doctrine.

... and the kicker is that since these belief systems are unprovable, and tied to strong emotions ... any dispute can become my view vs. your view ... which by nature sabotages the moderating influence of reason in favor of whoever is more commited to their "cause". I find it ironic that far more people die for a beliefs than say for the Theory of Gravity ...

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:18 AM
link   
BlackguardXIII:

I see no evidence that has suggested there to be such a being, other than the 85% of the worlds population being a fairly large bit of hearsay evidence. 5 000 000 000 people can't be wrong?

LCKob:

Well, if one looks at history as any kind of indicator, a fair number of examples can be brought up for just that kind of scenario ... how many times in the past few thousand years has an "unpopular" progressive view been looked upon by the vast majority (as in the bulk of the lay public vs. the progressive thinker/philospher/scientist as either impossible or just crazy?

Flat Earth (of which there are still adherents to this day) ... or a Heliocentric solar system ... in such instances, far more believed the idea or concept to be false rather than true ...

... unfortunately, numbers do not equate to truth or validity ... and in the case of the above examples, such numbers actually tend to mask or diffuse any potential truth by the "argument of numbers". In which case, a fair number would become influenced by "peer pressure" or conformity rather than the proven validity of an assertion or view.

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by LCKob
BlackguardXIII:

!!!I have no firm, solid view that there is no God, as you appear to, although!!!
I see no evidence that has suggested there to be such a being, other than the 85% of the worlds population being a fairly large bit of hearsay evidence. 5 000 000 000 people can't be wrong?

LCKob:

Well, if one looks at history as any kind of indicator, a fair number of examples can be brought up for just that kind of scenario ... how many times in the past few thousand years has an "unpopular" progressive view been looked upon by the vast majority (as in the bulk of the lay public vs. the progressive thinker/philospher/scientist as either impossible or just crazy?

Flat Earth (of which there are still adherents to this day) ... or a Heliocentric solar system ... in such instances, far more believed the idea or concept to be false rather than true ...

... unfortunately, numbers do not equate to truth or validity ... and in the case of the above examples, such numbers actually tend to mask or diffuse any potential truth by the "argument of numbers". In which case, a fair number would become influenced by "peer pressure" or conformity rather than the proven validity of an assertion or view.

You repeat exactly my point, and reason for not believing on that basis, as pasted from my post, between the !s

'I don't know if God exists, what God would be if he did, or what difference it makes.' and a paste from a post I wrote a few posts earlier

[edit on 03 22 2005 by BlackGuardXIII]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I find it ironic that far more people die for a beliefs than say for the Theory of Gravity ... lckob

Being a rockclimber, I can say many have died due to gravity, which instills a high level of respect for it. But, an experience that makes one believe in things spiritual is compelling in a very intense way. I would not stop saying I believe in a soul for anyone.

‘I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.’ Martin Luther King Jr., June 23, 1963

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I find it ironic that far more people die for a beliefs than say for the Theory of Gravity ... lckob

Being a rockclimber, I can say many have died due to gravity, which instills a high level of respect for it. But, an experience that makes one believe in things spiritual is compelling in a very intense way. I would not stop saying I believe in a soul for anyone.

‘I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn’t fit to live.’ Martin Luther King Jr., June 23, 1963

haha ... within your context, I would agree no contest... I do have a healthy respect for gravity ... but what I meant was more people seem willing to die for a subjective view as opposed to a truth (i.e. gravity) ... thus the scenario which in essense states that I will fight you over your opinion! Where opinion is defined as an unprovable point of view.

Thus it comes down to I will fight and possible kill you over an opinion?

... and what happens if such an opinion is wrong or flawed ... yet intensely felt and "believed"?

... as for the qoute by MLK I would would change it to something like:

‘I submit to you that if we humans cannot find a cause worthy of our highest ideals, then what is the point of causes."

... the problem with MLKs point is that while the drive, determination and conviction is present ... nothing is said about the motivator/goal or rationale ... MLKs qoute could by definition apply to the KKK as much as the noblest christian soldier with the best of intent ... in that both are willing to die for there cause.

I merely add the qualification that if I am to die or commit to a cause with such implications and intensity, then this cause should be of the highest order , the noblest of intent and ambition.

[edit on 24-1-2006 by LCKob]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
To what length would you go?
I would go a ways.......die to protect them.......possibly kill to protect them.

"By whatever means necessary." Malcolm X

Some things are beyond ignoring.

PS, I like you're quote, but MLK II has the far better sound bite.
I cannot see killing over an opinion, just to be clear on that, but I could see paying with my life for one.

[edit on 03 22 2005 by BlackGuardXIII]

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Well, in answer to the statement "The Bible is not the word of god" I know for sure that what we have has been handed down from ancients past, but what we have called the Bible is a simplistic form of what the ancients wrote. In a way, I'm leaning toward the statement "The Bible is not the word of god" and in another way I'm not going to totally commit. Gnosticism played a very large part in the scriptures of all the major religions and Christianity is not excluded. Christianity has, what I think, is the best of all the SIMPLE aspects of religion. So, don't think you're alone in your belief. Also, don't trust what Christian apologist say concerning their religion, because they have an agenda to protect; MONEY to line their pockets and their PROFESSION. Also, religion is a business!

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 02:48 AM
link   
BlackGuardXIII:

To what length would you go?
I would go a ways.......die to protect them.......possibly kill to protect them.

"By whatever means necessary." Malcolm X

Some things are beyond ignoring.

PS, I like you're quote, but MLK II has the far better sound bite.
I cannot see killing over an opinion, just to be clear on that, but I could see paying with my life for one.

LCKob:

Exactly! We are not so different in view ... when I altered the quote I had the image of protecting ones family from harm and in such an instance possibly killing or giving up ones life in such a defense.

Yes, I agree some things are beyond ignoring ... like the sad fact that as you say, it would not be inconcievable to envision giving up ones life for such an opinion. As I said earlier, the problem is not the reasonable or tolerant, its the unreasonable and intolerant factions that preclude even the possibility or other possibilities. Its a shame that the phrase "its my opionion that ..." was not used more often ... with the genuine motivation for "seeking the truth" ...
if these two concepts were used and appreciated for their intrinsic merit, then this world would be a far happier place.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join