It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USAF B-2 DROPS 80 JDAMS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:14 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Yeah, I read about this at Boeing. They were all dropped in less than 30 seconds to strike independent targets.

I still think the B-2's a white elephant, but a scary one nonetheless!

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I didn't realise the B-2 could carry that kind of weight!

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 08:29 AM
link   
40,000lbs baby....that's some a spicy meatballs!

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Ok,

But remember..

This causes major difficulties on war scenario..

One target run that lasts 22 seconds..

But takes 2 weeks to pin-point the individual targets and program the weapons and aircrafts mission computers for such a raid..

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, when you're being namby pamby and concerned for civilians...you gotta do what you gotta do...

The other tactic of simply carpetting the whole area also works, but doesn't win many face points....

Then again, with the egg currently on our face, perhaps it would have been a better tactic, considering the outcome, hehe...

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Imagine a large Enemy facility base of tank hangers, jet hangers, missle pads, barracks, the whole shabang. Now imagine 80 different missles dropping on it in 22 seconds, all having a different target. We could wipe even the largest facilities with ease

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Exactly

And just think when something goes contrary to what was exspected, the hardware takes the blame. Often when it was the programmers fault, or fualty last minute changes/intel.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:48 PM
link   
And here is some video footage of the historic event....
"U.S. Air Force B-2 Bomber Drops 80 JDAMS in Historic Test"
Link:
www.boeing.com...

No place to hide. I hope B-52's and B-1's are also being outfitted with the capability. How about giving CBU munitions the same guidance system, falling in large quantities from big bombers? That would give Glorious Leader Kim Jong Il a few nightmares. Imagine trying to mount a human wave charge against that. Nothing but a meat grinder.

Of course the video would have been even more impressive had they used live ordnance instead of dummies.

Anyhow, this should rachet up the B-2 capability. It is now a more versatile weapon.

A little commentary:
The bomb lift truck is called a MHU-83 'Jammer.' You'll notice the steel nose cone in front of the bomb for aero-dynamics in place of any nose fuze -- it's in the tail. The JDAM is the grey fin-assembly attached the BDU-50(inert Mk-82, 500lb bomb)concrete filled. No need for explosives for an accuracy test.

Nonetheless, Impressive.
I love the idea of using concrete bombs in combat. Why go 'BOOM' when 'POW' does the job? ek=mv2/2 = POW.....better yet: THUMP!

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Ahhh, JDAM. It warms the heart.

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 07:40 AM
link   
It this capabiliy of the B-2 that makes it such a potent weapon. The B-2/JDAM combination allows the Military to launch massive pricision strikes. Unlike the early smart bombs that required the launching aircraft to sty in the area, JDAM allows on pass attacks. So now the Air Force Can do "String Bombing", all they have to do in fly over the target area and drop their bombs in the same way that a B-52 would on a carpet bombing run. The Diffrence is that when the JDAM hits the air stream, it will automatically guide itself to its target with the accuracy of a Paveway class laser guided bomb. NOW THAT'S A SMART BOMB!

Tim

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FULCRUM

If we are the point of bombing their air base with guided causing DAMAGE is expected. I doubt there are school kids on a military base.

posted on Jun, 29 2021 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SmilingROB
Did you really reply to an 18 year old thread?

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadlyStaringFrog

That is the oldest thread bump I have ever seen.

edit on 30-6-2021 by Rider because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Who ordered the Necromancer spell?

posted on Jul, 1 2021 @ 01:22 AM
link   
ATS needs a little AI to spot people replying to really old threads, as if they are new.

Just something simple like "Do you really want to respond to this thread that is xx years old?"

It happens too often.

new topics

top topics

join