It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABUSE CRISIS: Change in US Policy on Torture?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
In an apparent shift in the US position on the use of torture. Secretary of state Condoleezza Rice, who has supported and defended the US policy of "rendition", now says "UN Convention against Torture extends to US personnel wherever they are, whether they are in the US or outside the US." According to the following report these statements by Rice are in sharp contrast to US Attorney-General, Alberto Gonzales, who said a year ago that the convention did not apply to US interrogations of foreigners overseas.

news.bbc.co.uk
The US secretary of state says the UN treaty on torture applies to American interrogators in the US and overseas, in an apparent shift in US policy.

The Bush administration has previously said the convention which bans cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment does not apply to US personnel abroad.

Correspondents say a reason for the shift might be pressure from Congress.

Condoleezza Rice's European tour has been dogged by claims the CIA used foreign bases to hold terror suspects.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Given the harsh world opinion against the US use of torture in the war on terrorism, this could be a step taken toward repairing that image or opinion. The past abuses cannot be erased, however perhaps adhering to the UN treaty on torture now and in the future could prevent more damage.

Are we witnessing just another attempted hole patch in a sinking ship?

[edit on 7-12-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think that the Heat that the European countries put on USA these days, especially after visit of Condy in Germany, the Bush&Co decided to "take a step backwards" - or at least SAY that they are going to Forbid Torture and stuff like that, to make these Pesky Europeans "Happy".

But what goes on in SECRET CIA detention Camps is Unseen and Unknown - so whatever they say makes no difference.

Just another Word - said by a Politician - MOST likely a LIE then!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
She came to Brussels on a PR trip, told the people here whatever they wanted to hear and thats about it.

I wonder if they believe anything of what she sais and will take her word for it, or will keep a watchful eye open to see what else pops up about torture and unsanctioned CIA bases on EU soil.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I think American voices had as much to do with the about-face as world opinion. At least I hope so.

Is a hole being patched? Appears to be. Is the ship still sinking? Probably. There are a LOT of holes.

new topics

top topics

join