It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would Iran react and fight back

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kojac

As long as America controls the Air...they control the battlefield. Theres nothing that Iran or Russia possesses that can take that away right now...the Iranian Armies would be wiped off the map within 2-4 weeks...

Maximu§

[edit on 083131p://333 by LA_Maximus]

Wiped off the map within 2-4 weeks? My friend, even if the u.s could viably raise another invasion force of size to be able to invade Iran, the Iranian army has a fighting force (including militia) of over 9 million soldiers. I understand that the u.s would have overwhelming air superiority, but wiping out 9 million soldiers in 2-4 weeks?? unless we're talking w.m.d, that's highly improbable.

Iran would definitely not be as easy as Iraq. For one, Iran is not burdened by such a melting pot of cultures and tensions, ie.Arab, Sunni, Kurd, Shina etc. With a majority Persian Shina population, and a strong sense of nationalism, i think we'd find Iran a very tough nut to crack.

Not even going to mention the power Iran can have over chaotic Iraq, Afghanistan, Lebanon and Palestine. If Israel and the coalition think they've got a handful now...
......just invade Iran and see what happens.

Many in Iran believe the USA would move faster through Iran than they did in Iraq... The Iranian government would be destabilized, many politicians would be hung. What many people do not know is Iranian people favor relations with the USA.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
How can you be so sure in the USAF being able to "wipe out the Iranian military in 2-4 weeks"?

Serbia had a mcuh less capable military than Iran (lets not be coy here, Iran is hardly a wimp, militarily), but with stood several weeks of Air bombardment with very little actual hardware being lost.

Initial claims of success where premature and when the Serbs finally pulled out of Kosovo (after the very long air campaign which almost used up ammunition supplies reserved for the campaign), it was found that a siginificant (approaching 80% if I remember) portion of their military was intact and operational. That is also why focus for the latter part of the campaign concentrated on Serbian targets within Serbia, so as to have an impact on their public opinion.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
How can you be so sure in the USAF being able to "wipe out the Iranian military in 2-4 weeks"?

- Is it just me or does this seem to anyone else like it's just this centurys' version (and just as widely believed) of 'it'll all be over by Christmas'?

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Serbia was another situation where the military had their hands tied on the minutest details by the politicans, which is a sure way to prolong a war.

I think the "2-4 weeks" people keep mentioning is the time it would take for the U.S. to turn Irans military from a 20th century force into one from the 19th century or earlier only capable of waging a guerrilla war. This is not about an invasion, but rather what the U.S. military seems to do best these days which is completely overwhelm an opponent in a very short time through the use of "combined arms doctrine". The result for iran would likely be that their territory would be still intact, but all the modern weapons they've spent billions on (instead of taking care of their people)would be trash and all they'd have left to fight with would be rifles, swords and sticks. Next, the population that likes western ideas and products would rise up against the now defenseless mullahs and reclaim their place in the 21st century.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
First of all,everyone here thinks that it will be the U.S. that will be attacking Iran.In fact ,the first shots will be certainly fired by Israel.The U.S. won't be invovlved at first,but if it looks like it will escalate into something more than a conventional exchange then we will see the U.S. and Russia enter into it.By that time,it will all be over for everyone.Remember M.A.D. ???? Mutual Assured Destruction??? There will be no winners in this scenario

Sep

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
The result for iran would likely be that their territory would be still intact, but all the modern weapons they've spent billions on (instead of taking care of their people)would be trash and all they'd have left to fight with would be rifles, swords and sticks.

May I ask how much has the US been spending on its military? I don’t think you are in any position to criticize other countries for spending too much money on their military.

Next, the population that likes western ideas and products would rise up against the now defenseless mullahs and reclaim their place in the 21st century.

No. The thing that happens after this war is the population would get behind their government. If the bombing is excessive you will look at one of the few pro-US population being turned into an extremely anti-US population. Bomb Iran, and you give hardliners propaganda material for the next 2 centuries.

posted on Dec, 11 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I was going though the thread and reading alot of people opions on what would happen should the war start, well i have heard that eather the Russians or the Chinesse have been giveing Iran naval warships and subs, also the Iranen military is very capabile of with standing a invasion form the United States, they would probly put up a hell of a fight.
Also if i rember correctly the Iranens have a lot of the same weapons and trianing as the US so i would think that if the US were to fight Iran in a ground war it would be 50/50 in terms of who might win, but then you also have to ask "What would happen if Iran used WMD's?" I imangen they could infilict some serious damage to an ivading army, navy, or air force, with them, but whould the Colition then fight back with WMD's as well? it will be intersting to see what happens in the next couple of months before Isreals elcetion.

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sep

The result for iran would likely be that their territory would be still intact, but all the modern weapons they've spent billions on (instead of taking care of their people)would be trash and all they'd have left to fight with would be rifles, swords and sticks.

May I ask how much has the US been spending on its military? I don’t think you are in any position to criticize other countries for spending too much money on their military.

When iran's people have the same standard of living as the U.S., you can ask this question. Until then, my comment stands. Like most dictatorships, the military in iran is funded at the expense of the people.

Sep

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

When iran's people have the same standard of living as the U.S., you can ask this question. Until then, my comment stands. Like most dictatorships, the military in iran is funded at the expense of the people.

I have no right to ask that question because what you do with your money is none of my business. I have not lived in the United States so I don’t know what the economic situation of the majority of the population is over there. I can only assume that you haven’t been in Iran, so I was wondering how do you know the economical situation of the Iranians (don’t tell me that you can read about it because as long as you are not in a country and have not spoken to the population living in the country, one cannot have a good understanding of the economical situation of the population). I can tell you that there is a fairly large educated middle class. Of course there is problems with unemployment and inflation, but that is no different from most other countries. Furthermore, I didn’t see the US complaining when the Shah was spending 30% of the GDP on the military, Iran now spends around 5%, what is the difference now from then?

[edit on 12-12-2005 by Sep]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join