It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible New (Mammal) Species Found in Borneo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I hope this is appropriate for the Crypto forum, i wasn't entirely sure.

Their not sure if this is a new species or a variation of an already existing one, possibly martens or civets**. They're currently exploring different ideas on how to capture the animal or get a sample of its DNA for analysis.

www.newscientist.com...

(Click here for enlarged photo)

A mysterious red furry creature, captured on film in the dense forests of Borneo, could be a new species of carnivore. The mammal, which is slightly larger than a domestic cat, has dark red fur and a long, bushy tail. It was snapped twice at night by a camera trap set up by researchers from the conservation group WWF.

Its general shape – with a possibly pointed snout, small ears, and large powerful hind legs – suggests it is a meat-eater. It has some similarities with martens or civets and could belong to these groups, or it may belong to an entirely new group, says WWF.

“New species are always exciting, and new species of cuddly things are exciting,” says Nick Isaac, a research fellow at the Zoological Society of London, UK. But he warns it may be difficult to establish whether the new find genuinely represents a new species, or just a variation on a known species. “My reservation is – is it a range extension, or a slightly different colour morph of something we know about?” he told New Scientist.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

**Civets, on an unrelated but interesting side-note, scientists have traced the origin of SARS to civets.

[edit on 7-12-2005 by Rren]

Wig

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Allready here friend, two threads near the top, new cat like creature & half cat half fox....

[edit on 7/12/2005 by Wig]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Here are a few links on this thread for you.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Looks like a Phalanger or something to me...

posted on Aug, 28 2006 @ 09:33 AM
link   
basically i made a thread with the same stuff so i guess i should post it in the orginal

In the dense central forests of Borneo, a conservation group has found what appears to be a new species of mammal.

WWF caught two images of the animal, which is bigger than a domestic cat, dark red, and has a long muscular tail.

Local people, the WWF says, had not seen the species before, and researchers say it looks to be new.

The WWF says there is an urgent need to conserve forests in south-east Asia which are under pressure from logging and the palm oil trade.

The creature, believed to be carnivorous, was spotted in the Kayan Mentarang National Park, which lies in Indonesian territory on Borneo.

Click to read all

new topics

top topics

join