It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An interessting article about the A-X

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The A-X (a.k.a. "A/F-X") was a joint program with participation by the Navy and the Air Force to replace current strike aircraft that were completing their service lives. The A-X would replace the Navy A-6 and the Air Force F-111, F-15E, and F-117. The A-X would offer major advantages over both the F-111 and A-6, some of which will be as much as 42 years old by the time the first A-X squardron was to become active with the Navy or the Air Force. The multi-mission capability of the A-X would provide the tools necessary to execute successfully any mission assigned. Its technology would be state-of-the-art, designed to neutralize future threats and to provide superb weapons delivery capability. The A-X was intended to be fast, highly maneuverable, and able to conduct a wide variety of autonomous missions. It was to be able to employ air-to-air missiles, antiradiation missiles, precision guided munitions, and unguided or dumb bombs. It was to have the latest survivability upgrades.

ARTICLE

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:03 AM
link   
After the cancellation of the A-X, Lockheed Martin tried to interest the Navy in a navalised, upgraded version of the F-117, the F-117X.

www.invisible-defenders.org...

posted on Sep, 25 2003 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I've reseached the A-X. Overall I think it was an OK concept. What Killed the A-X, In my oppinion were two factors, Poor Funding and Bad Timing. If the Navy had done better with it's funds and it's timing, I really think the A-X would have been flying today, maybe as the A-14! Who Knows?

Tim

posted on Mar, 20 2023 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ghost
I've reseached the A-X. Overall I think it was an OK concept. What Killed the A-X, In my oppinion were two factors, Poor Funding and Bad Timing. If the Navy had done better with it's funds and it's timing, I really think the A-X would have been flying today, maybe as the A-14! Who Knows?

Tim

I found these additional weblinks about the A-X program:
man.fas.org...
www.secretprojects.co.uk...

join