It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LCS Competition

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 10:33 PM
link   
-----*****Update*****-----
Lockheed is going to Christen the first LCS tomorrow (9/23), LCS-1 will be called USS Freedom.
Construction began on 2/1/05.
The Navy is planning on having around 30-60 Littoral Combat Ships.
After this ship is christened it will stay in the shipyard for the winter, and be commisioned next year.

((General Dynamics' LCS ship began construction 1/19/06.))

U.S. Navy to launch new LCS vessel

Reuters
Lockheed's LCS design is a high-speed monohull, while General Dynamics is building a slender stabilized monohull, commonly known as a trimaran. Both offer speeds of over 40 knots and can operate in water less than 20 feet deep.

Construction Pics

I think it looks pretty good, and hopefully it works as designed.

(I'm more anxious to see GD's LCS though)

[edit on 22-9-2006 by Murcielago]

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Its been Christened, and had a successful launch.

posted on Sep, 25 2006 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think the Navy is going to go with both versions. 3 reasons.

1) More export orders. It is easier to sell overseas when you have multiple designs.

2) Both do different things well. While supposedly the same ship concept, each specializes in certain areas better than the other.

3) Congress decides. If there is a decision to be made, you can always count on Congress to punt.

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Well, hopefully they dont make both designs.

The point of this is to do what the USAF does with jets...and have a "fly-off" to see which one is the best, and pick the winner.

If the Navy wants 55 of these ships...and they choose both companies to build them, costs will go up...and they will probably only get around 40-45 ships total.

Heres a awesome video of the ship launch!

USS Freedom LAUNCH

High Res pictures of the launch

And This Site has a little documentary on the LCS and show its launch.

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The LM version is proving to be a disappointment. It is top heavy and therefore will not be able to carry the two 30mm gun for the Surface Mission Module or the NLOS-LS missile. It is suffering horribly with being overweight (reduced speed and increased draft).

The top Marine has already said the the GD version is his pic and wants to know when he can start using it for his Marines. GD's ship has an ENORMOUS mission bay and flight deck.

I have to agree that when I first saw the designs, I thought that GD's was just too radical and that the Navy would go with what it was aready comfortable with. However, (hush-hush), the Navy is leaning toward the GD version and is already constructing the second ship (LCS-5). LCS-3 and LCS-4 were cancelled, so there will be a gap in the numbers.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join