It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Midwest's Big Chill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Bitter Cold Continues in Rockies, Midwest

Bitterly cold arctic air continued to funnel into the Rocky Mountains and Midwest on Tuesday, sending temperatures plummeting below zero throughout much of the region. A storm front creeping south since the weekend has driven down temperatures from Montana to the Midwest. With a brisk wind, it felt like 15 below zero Tuesday in Sioux Falls, S.D. _ where Wednesday's forecast high was a miserly 5 degrees.

In Chicago, temperatures Monday dipped to a low of 4 degrees, beating the old record of 6 degrees set in 1895, according to the National Weather Service.

In the Quad Cities of Bettendorf and Davenport, Iowa, and Moline and Rock Island, Ill., temperatures fell to a frigid minus 4 Monday. The previous record low of minus 2 was set in 1886.

"There's a couple inches of snow on the ground and every couple of days we seem to get a fresh coating and that seems to cool us off further," said Barbara Mayes, a weather service meteorologist in Davenport.

There was some relief in sight. This weekend, temperatures are expected to climb into the lower 30s.

"So, it's a slow, gradual warmup ... if you can call that warm," said weather service meteorologist Andrew Krein.

Now that is cold!

And the record beaten goes all the way back to 1895?!

The signs are everywhere that change is occurring....

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Loam, its cold up here too...

Humidity: 71%
Wind Speed: W 7 MPH
Barometer: 30.06 in.
Dewpoint: 18°F
Heat Index: 26°F
Wind Chill: 18°F

HYANNIS TIME: 10:53:31 PM 12/6/2005
Standard Time Zone: GMT -5 (?)

Makes me long for Arizona again...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Yes its cold, but I have gone for hikes in -45 degree weather, because the darn car froze.
but if you properly dress for it, you'll be OK.

I used to feel so sorry for the American soldiers who were brought up to do their winter training in my area. They were never properly equipped for the weather or never properly trained to dress for the area because at least half a dozen every year had to be hospitalized after a couple of days.
After 10 years or so I think they caught on and stopped sending them up or dressed them better because we quit hearing about them being sent to hospital.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
One of the fastest things the American forces learned was never to use metal latrine seats in winter in Canada. "It took us an hour to free the General, we couldn't Macgiver his way out of that one."

Its a joke ok eh! But it does get really cold up here. Out house seats are made out of wood here, less chance to freeze to em.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sparkie..imagine having to call the po po at 2 am because you're stuck

Lol..I have the heat on 80 and i am a frozen stiff. Time to go to sleep. Keep warm

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Yeah well its projected to get to minus 29 degrees celsius tonight in Saskatchewan.

posted on Dec, 13 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Its a balmy -15 degrees here in Hamilton tonight.. Haven't been able to get my dog to go to the bathroom outside for 3 days now...

new topics

top topics

join