It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Does The Moon Shine in Daytime?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
This is a new one for me..I was at the post office and happened to look up and saw the Moon shining really bright at 3:30 PM EST.
This is the first time in my life I have ever seen a bright Moon in the daytime, and as I kept watching there were 3 really high jets flying around it, like in a pattern.
I looked on the net and found an 'explanation' but it really shocked me to see this..Am I such an amateur? I saw a guy who retired from Cape Canaveral and he said it happens 'sometimes'?
All the witnesses I asked said the moon does appear in daytime.
I hope this does not sound like a bumpkin..

Am I the only human who has never observed this? Help..

www.ag.ohio-state.edu...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The moon shines because the sun reflects off of it ...... Many times the World is actually covering it up...

Many times the clouds are covering it up..... Mainly that last one

(Mod edit- Mind the attitude, No question is a silly one... if you cant answer in a proper way then do not reply,)

[edit on 6-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've seen this before, & I commented on another post by a British ATS post on here a month back. It's just an odd anomoly that happens from time to time.

Depends on the Earth's rotation, where it is in relation to the Sun, etc.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5Lostboy5
The moon shines because the SUN REFLECTS OFF OF IT ... MANY TIMES the WORLD IS ACTUALLY COVERING IT UP .... MANY TIMES THE CLOUDS ARE COVERING IT UP ..... Mainly that last one ... but any how ... WoW .. How old are you ?

What does my age have to do with the question?..I hope you do not continue to shout with your answers ??????????????

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It doesn't matter whether or not it's day or night, the Moon shones the same way all the time: becaue it's reflecting the light of the Sun.

Usually we don't notice it in the daytime, buecause its glow (like that of planets and stars) is obscured by the glare of the daylight sky. But if the sky is dark enough (like late in the afternon or early in the morning, or if the sky is partly overcast) you will see the moon shining.

Typically, you will see the daytime Moon when it's full or near to full, for two reasons:

1. The full Moon reflects more light and thus has a better chance of being noticed thatn a half- or quarter Moon; and

2. the closer the Moon gets to the New phase (either waxing or waning) the closer it gets to the position of the Sun and is thus lost in the Sun's glare.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
It doesn't matter whether or not it's day or night, the Moon shones the same way all the time: becaue it's reflecting the light of the Sun.

Usually we don't notice it in the daytime, buecause its glow (like that of planets and stars) is obscured by the glare of the daylight sky. But if the sky is dark enough (like late in the afternon or early in the morning, or if the sky is partly overcast) you will see the moon shining.

Typically, you will see the daytime Moon when it's full or near to full, for two reasons:

1. The full Moon reflects more light and thus has a better chance of being noticed thatn a half- or quarter Moon; and

2. the closer the Moon gets to the New phase (either waxing or waning) the closer it gets to the position of the Sun and is thus lost in the Sun's glare.

Thank you for that..As I was watching I knew the full moon will be on the 15th, and the reason I noticed it is because it was very bright and I could see the craters clearly.
Here I am thinking I know a lot, guess we learn something new everyday.

top topics

join