It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self Healing Paint!!OMG!! Dont have to worry about scratches on your precious car.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
www.nissan-global.com...

TOKYO (Dec. 2, 2005)-- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd., has developed the world’s first clear paint that repairs scratches on painted car surfaces, including scratches from car-washing machines, off-road driving and fingernails.

“Scratch Guard Coat” contains a newly developed high elastic resin that helps prevent scratches from affecting the inner layers of a car’s painted surface. With “Scratch Guard Coat” a car’s scratched surface will return to its original state anywhere from one day to a week, depending on temperature and the depth of the scratch.

The water-repellant paint also has a higher resistance to scratches compared with conventional clear paints. A vehicle painted with “Scratch Guard Coat” will have only one-fifth the abrasions caused by a car-washing machine compared with a car covered with conventional clear paint. Scratches from car-washing machines account for the majority of scratches to painted car surfaces.

“Scratch Guard Coat” is effective for about three years.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.

Too bad its only for 3 years. But anything can happen in 3 years anyways so its better to have the car or truck look clean even 3 years since you bought it.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
ok so how is that shadow in the top right in the same place if the pics were taken some time appart

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
and the sun, that pic is so fake you can evan see the marks where the scratches were erased in photoshop if you look

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
luka1222, I think that is a reflection of a post or something.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
luka1222, you are probably right about this being a doctored photo. The web site claims the photos are taken one week apart. I'm comparing the photos in Photoshop right now and the sun on the hood is in the exact same place in both photos. This however doesn't discredit the claims of "healing" paint. Most likely Nissan just wanted a comparable image to show what the product is supposed to do.

“Scratch Guard Coat” will be applied for the first time on an SUV model that is scheduled for a partial makeover in the near future. The paint will be applied to the car’s chassis, bumpers, door mirrors, among other parts.

Going by this statement I would say they don’t have a vehicle with that stuff on it yet.

[edit on 6/12/2005 by Umbrax]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
so fake(?)

the sun, in both pictures, is in the same exact spot...

and the caption for the second picture says "one week later"...

i think this is fake stuff...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What if the pictures were taken of the car indoors? And what you think is the sun is just a bright spotlight in the room where the experiment is taking place? Then everything would be the same a week later, unless someone moved the car.

Just another way of looking at it ...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
great.
(I would love this on my car)

One Question: Is this a clear coat. That way I could just sand off my current clear coat layer just down to the paint, and shoot this on top of it.

OR

Does this have to be mixed in with single stage paint?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
very true centurion1211

i just assumed it was the sun...

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 04:27 PM
link   
listen i am a model designer i do stuff like this on a day to day basis, this is a fake, listening to the description of how it is supposed to work it is just impossible and pretty silly.the photo is so obviously a fake and so is the concept

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The pictures were definetely faked although I'd lean towards it was just a hurried example of what the paint is meant to do.

I wouldn't think nissan would make a press release unless they had something that could work and it doesn't seem impossible on small scratches i'd have doubt's about bigger ones though.

new topics

top topics

join