It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia's Al Sulayyil IRBM Missile Base

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This seems to be a little known fact that in the 1980's the Saudi's purchased an unconfirmed number of Chinese CSS-2/DF-3 IRBM's ( estimates vary from 40-60 missiles ) for $US 3 billion and had hardened bases built for them by Chinese engineers in the desert. Even now there is a cadre of Chinese technicians which maintain the missiles.
The question is what is the purpose of these missiles. Their accuracy is woeful, which is why they were built to deliver high yield nuclear warheads. Do the Saudi's intend to aquire warheads, possibly through their funding of the Pakistani bomb or was a secret deal struck with China to supply the warheads in time of crisis. One thing is sure, the missiles are practically uselss without nuclear warheads.

GLOBAL SECURITY AL-SULAYYIL DF-3

external image
Launch Area A
Each missile launch area is located in narrow canyons or wadis for cover and concealment. The facility consists of a missile support and checkout area, and a missile launch area with dispersed above-ground buildings and a prepared concrete launch pad.

external image
Launch Area B
This second launch area 6 kilometer south of Launch Area A, is almost identical in composition and layout. The missile support and checkout area has fewer buildings than its counterpart at Launch Area A.

MORE SATELLITE IMAGERY
SUPPORT AREA IMAGERY
WEAPONS STORAGE AREA IMAGERY
Al Sulayyil Maps

CSS-2/DF-3 Specifications

• Configuration : Single stage liquid
  • Length : 21.2m
  • Diameter : 2.25m
  • Launch Weight : 64,000kg
  • Propellant : Liquid fuel (Unsymmetrical Dimethylhydrazine/Nitrogen Tetroxide mix [UDMH/N2H4])
  • Guidance : Inertial
  • Range : 2,500km (DF-3); 2,800km (DF-3A)
  • Deployment : Launch pad + road mobile
  • Re-entry Vehicle Mass : 2,150kg
  • Warhead : Single 1,000~3,000kT
  • CEP : 2,000~3,000m (DF-3); 1,000m (DF-3A)
  • Launch Preparation Time : 120~180 min

[edit on 6-12-2005 by rogue1]

mod edit: please keep all images within 680 by 680
How to resize an image (review link)
ATTN: Image Size Guidelines (review link)

[edit on 8-3-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
maybe they`ve allready got `the bomb` and the missiliers are holding on alert launch???

[edit on 6-12-2005 by Harlequin]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
maybe they`ve allready got `the bomb` and the missiliers are holding on alert launch???

Could do, just as well they're the old liquid fuel variety which according to official stats take between 2-3 hours to fuel. No doubt US recon satellites take a regular look at these bases.
Also if any nuclear attack did originate from Saudi, then it would only be able to be achieved with Chinese complicity. Or even being more conspiratorial, could the Chinese launch these weapons without Saudi authority as they are the ones maintaning them

[edit on 6-12-2005 by rogue1]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Interesting that there is any attention being paid to this. It's known that SA also has a covert nuclear weapons program as well. It doesn't seem to be garnering nearly the attention that Iran's is, even though SA is also an avowed enemy of Israel, not to mention the home of Al Quaeda and a tireless promoter of the Wahabbi branch of Islamic radicalism that AQ and OBL represent...

The answer of course is SA's deep economic ties with the US oil business, and specifically their long history with the Bush family.

Interestingly, it's also now known that SA was funding Iraq's nuclear weapons program to the tune of up to $5bn up until the 1991 Gulf War. Suspicions now are that SA's primary partner in nuke weapons research is Pakistan.

[edit on 12/6/05 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
Interesting that there is any attention being paid to this. It's known that SA also has a covert nuclear weapons program as well. It doesn't seem to be garnering nearly the attention that Iran's is, even though SA is also an avowed enemy of Israel, not to mention the home of Al Quaeda and a tireless promoter of the Wahabbi branch of Islamic radicalism that AQ and OBL represent...

Saudi Arabi was interested in nukes since 1975. They also funded Pakistan's nuclear development. However since then the Saudis have seem to be quiet about nuclear technology and no hard evidence that the Saudis have been developing one on their own soil. However if Iran as a Shiite nation succeeds in getting their hands on nuclear weapons, then Saudi Arabia might respond immediately.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

The answer of course is SA's deep economic ties with the US oil business, and specifically their long history with the Bush family.

[edit on 12/6/05 by xmotex]

with trillions at stake bush wouldnt want to upset his pals in the royal family

one question whats the point in having these missiles?
since they take over 180min to fuel and launch

in that time frame it can easily be spotted with fuel tanks
causing a fast and effective airstrike/missile strike

or are they already prepped and fueld for launch 24/7?

[edit on 6-12-2005 by bodrul]

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 06:22 PM
link   
This is a non-issue; the Saudi Royalty refuses to use the missiles aggressively due to their lack of ability to be controlled and thus their risk to many civilians.

Besides, with a 3,000 km range; they could barely hit outside of their country which is more than 500 miles across. (So they can shoot approximately to Jerusalem...which they would never attack anyway).

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus
This is a non-issue; the Saudi Royalty refuses to use the missiles aggressively due to their lack of ability to be controlled and thus their risk to many civilians.

LOL, you are a very rusting person or gullible. Why hvae htese missiles at all, that's the point, they are useless with conventional warheads. Also take note that the Suadi's have not signed the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty ( CTBT ), banning the testing of nuclear weapons.

Besides, with a 3,000 km range; they could barely hit outside of their country which is more than 500 miles across. (So they can shoot approximately to Jerusalem...which they would never attack anyway).

I suggest, yuo take out a map and then you might realise just how far 3000 km is.

That map donates a range of 2500km, so ad another 500km to it and you have the limits of the CSS-2 range.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
They won`t be on alert launch - you can only really hold fuel in them for a few months at max (something like 6 months tops) and IIRC china doesn`t have any solid fueled missles in service yet

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I'm sure this weapons system will be utilised if and when an Al Qaida aligned government takes control in a coup and the current Saudi Royal family are exiled. The new government will also have at their disposal many state of the art European and American weapons systems, although the Al Qaida F15 and F16 pilots might mistake their aircraft for missiles.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

LOL, you are a very rusting person or gullible. Why hvae htese missiles at all, that's the point, they are useless with conventional warheads. Also take note that the Suadi's have not signed the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty ( CTBT ), banning the testing of nuclear weapons.

I suggest, yuo take out a map and then you might realise just how far 3000 km is.

That map donates a range of 2500km, so ad another 500km to it and you have the limits of the CSS-2 range.

This is rediculous, find me one country in that radius that the Saudis would even think of attacking?

Are you saying they're going to blow-up the Muslim world that they have sworn to protect?????

And JamesinOz...just how is Al Qa'ida going to take over Saudi Arabia or anywhere else? They tried to build their state in Afghanistan and the US-led coalition conquered it with ease.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
why are the chinese running this system, can't the saudi's do this themselves?

Looks like those missiles may be aimed for Israel, where else?

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
maybe they`ve allready got `the bomb`

Could very well be possible. Whats really to stop a rich country like Saudi Arabia from buying a few nuclear weapons from say China or Russia. Developing your own weapon is a expensive and very hard to hide process as Iran is finding out I would suspect. But buying a few from a cash strapped Russia that has a surplus of them they transaction could be keep very quiet.

I really suspect alot more countries have nuclear weapons then the public realize, many of which are NPT nations.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_RusThis is rediculous, find me one country in that radius that the Saudis would even think of attacking?

Well there's Israel for one. Not to mention quite a few American and European interests in the region. Let's not forget that the Saudi Royal family is massive, and not all of it's members exactly like the west, so we can't rule out the targetting of American forces. And if I'm not mistaken, SA is Sunni and Iran is Shiite, and neither of the two groups seem to exactly like each other.

And JamesinOz...just how is Al Qa'ida going to take over Saudi Arabia or anywhere else? They tried to build their state in Afghanistan and the US-led coalition conquered it with ease.

And yet HAMAS is currently in power in Palelstine. Just because we carpet bombed the crap out of Afganistan doesn't mean that the Al Queda has learned it's lesson. Those guys are highly determined, and get numerous recruits with each passing day. Just because a US/European backed regime "adjustment" would be likely shortly after an Al Queda coup does not mean they wouldn't at least try. And I figure they'd at least have long enough to launch those missiles before the US/EU would be able to launch an invasion. Maybe an airstrike, but politicians tend to just scream at the opponent a bit before actually doing anything.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Not to mention quite a few American and European interests in the region. Let's not forget that the Saudi Royal family is massive, and not all of it's members exactly like the west, so we can't rule out the targetting of American forces.

C’mon this is just hard to believe, for one why would they attack the US of all nations? That’s just economic, political and military suicide. If I’m not mistaken the US has forces in Saudi Arabia? We, or any nation with a decent satellite capability would spot these missiles being fueled and begin asking questions, so that rules out any surprise attack.

But I’m also curious of the purpose of having these missiles without a nuclear payload, with a CEP of several thousand meters a regular HE warhead isn't going to do much.

posted on Mar, 8 2006 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It's rediculous to believe that the majority of the Saudi Royal family would have any interest in attacking the US. However some parts of the family with a bit of power have been known to be affiliated with the Al-Queda. So although it's unlikely, it's still possible that certain radical members of the family influenced the purchase of these missiles.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
[

Elements aligned with Al Qaida imo could quite easily stage a coup in Saudi, as a large proportion of Saudi's government and Security services sympathise with Al Qaida as it is, unfortunately. Also - the Shah of Iran was considered a solid pillar of American support in the Gulf...until he was sent packing by the current government in the 1979 coup that overthrew him.

The Iranians still have all of the old American weapons systems in their arsenal, including F-14 fighter aircraft. Imo, the House of Saud could also fall to Islamic fundamentalists like a house of cards, as could the Pakistani, Egyptian, Algerian, Afghani, Jordanian and Indonesian governments. I think they may know this themselves, that's why many of them never leave walled compounds.

I also think there may be a few surprises in the Middle Eastern nuclear club if everone put their cards on the table. The old USSR was carting nuclear missiles around Egypt for years.

[edit on 9-3-2006 by JamesinOz]

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I also wouldn`t be surprised if they also had access to the russian bioweaponeers as well - the chimera`s they created scare the **** out of me. Ebola-Pox anyone? super effective strains of Marburg crossed with anthrax? The usa are years behind russia in this research - even after the 2 defections.

posted on Mar, 9 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Most of us in the west, Russia and China have been used to the idea of having ICBM technology in our military inventories for decades. To us, ICBM's are just another tool in our warfighting machinery.

To many nations of the third world, long-range missile technology is a matter of national pride and regional sabre-rattling. Most third world nation are truly inept at waging war beyond a few hundred miles of their own borders, therefore it is not always easy to make credible threats against regiona adversaries.

Having MRBM's or ICBM's in your inventory, no matter how lame and inaccurate they may be, gives a little bit more credibility to the threats you might make to a neighbor. And if you have jillions of dollars worth of oil money on hand, and you are surrounded by fanaticas and fascists, buying a squardon of MRBM's is probably an easy decision to make.

posted on Mar, 19 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
as salam alaikum all

i saw this topic while i was browsing the forum so i decided to make some few things clear for all of you and forgive me if my there are mistakes in my English writing

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia does not have any kind of weapons of mass distruction ,

we don't have it and we don't want it .

these IRBM's were been bought from China during the 80's just to threat Iran from invading us and these weapons are not to attack anyone else .

the Chinese Experties were been brought in the beginning only to help in building the al Sulayil Base but currently there are non in that base right now and they are all Saudis . many of them are been trained well in China and now they themselves are trainers in here .

we do not have any intensions to attack or destroy anyone . its a clear fact that Saudi Arabia is the most strongest stabilizer of the middle east not to fall into wars and to strength the moderate Islam and these IRBM's are the last line of defence . thats why we did not use them against Iraq because the Iraqi army didn't invade Saudi Arabia and reached Riyadh

home of al qaeda is Afghanistan not Saudi Arabia and we are not the only ones responcible for its establishment but also the US government is involved in the establishment of that terror organization . too bad we and our American allies failed in the attempts to elemenate Osama several times in the 90's when he was in Sudan

hope you all a nice time

Salam

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join