It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dalai Lama unwelcome in Moscow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
This is something I didn't expect to see, the ties that bind Russia and China in friendship means Russia won't stretch the boundaries and allow the Dalai Lama in.

It doesn't go much deeper than that, I don't think, the Dalai Lama agenda isn't high on the Russian priority list, but it's disappointing.

Is it indicative of anything else?

Moscow Bans Dalai Lama
24/09/2003 11:52 AM, Reuters

Russia, fearful of harming warming relations with neighbouring China, has turned down a request for Tibet's exiled spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, to visit Buddhists in the country.

The decision coincided with a visit by Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Kasyanov to China to discuss a new strategic partnership between the former rivals for leadership of the communist world.

"When looking at the question of a visit by the Dalai Lama, we had to take into account all Russia's interests, and strictly follow Russia's international obligations, including our treaty of friendship with China," the Russian foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

"China looks negatively on the Dalai Lama's international activities."

China, which claims Tibet as an inseparable part of its territory, routinely makes strong diplomatic protests to countries which allow the Dalai Lama to visit.

Chinese troops imposed Communist rule on Tibet in 1950 and the Dalai Lama fled nine years later into exile in India, where he now runs a government-in-exile and a non-violent campaign for greater autonomy in his homeland.

China says it has brought unprecedented economic prosperity to Tibet and considers the Dalai Lama, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, a dangerous separatist.

Russia has around one million Buddhist citizens, mainly in Siberia and near the Caspian Sea, who consider the Dalai Lama their spiritual leader.

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It is disappointing, MA. I am also disappointed you failed to mention that Bush just met the Dalai Lama (despite needing China right now to help with NK - why? Because it was the right thing to do)

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Either that or because Bush gives about as much thought to international opinion (especially China's), as I give to a bug being squashed beneath my shoe...???

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It is a shame that as big as China is that they still need to have tiny little Tibet as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Hey Bob,

when they are out to get someone,
the truth gets in the way.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
It is disappointing, MA. I am also disappointed you failed to mention that Bush just met the Dalai Lama.

I didn't even know, but I am glad you brough that up.

new topics

top topics

join