It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Prove Stress Makes You Sick

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

This only confirms what I have long suspected for years. I do not get sick that often, but when I do, I look back on the days leading up to my illness and I find that there was some stressfull event that happened right before.

Australian researchers said they had scientifically proven a long-suspected link between emotional stress and illnesses ranging from the common cold to cancer. The group from Sydney's Garvan Institute found that a hormone released into the body during times of stress, neuropeptide Y (NPY), undermined the body's immune system and literally made you sick.

"Until now there has mostly been circumstantial evidence of a link between the brain and the immune system, but now we have that connection," said the institute's Fabienne Mackay.

"During periods of stress, nerves release a lot of NPY and it gets into the bloodstream, where it inhibits the cells in the immune system that look out for and destroy pathogens in the body," she said.

"That stress makes you sick is no longer a myth, it is a reality and we need to take it seriously."

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Ive actually studied A-level Psychology and we've done stress - i got an A :p anywho lol yeah there's apparently different personality types that are linked to certain illness's. Type C's are unassertive people who supress emotion etc and are more likely to get cancer - which is pretty scary i thought. There was this study my Nermeroff and Musselman i think where they gave depressed people a sugar pill (telling them it was Prozac) and because depressed people have something like 40% more sticky platelets in their blood, after telling them they were taking this 'anti-depressant' their sticky platelet number actually decreased so a lot of whats wrong is purely pyschological...not all but it influences it more than people realise....

join