It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquacke hits east africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
an earthquack has east africa with about 6-7 an the ricter scale (isnt even in the news yet)

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   
At the moment USGS has it as a Mag 6.8

USGS: Magnitude 6.8 - LAKE TANGANYIKA REGION, CONGO-TANZANIA
2005 December 5 12:19:55 UTC

[edit on 2006/4/27 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   
DAMN! ATS members are GOOD!

nice find hellmutt!

Hope this one doesnt make too much damage. Those people need a break !!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Just adding some more.

BBC: Powerful quake rocks East Africa

"The largest earthquake to have occurred in the rift system since 1900 had a magnitude of about 7.6"

USGS: Tectonic Summary

Magnitude 6.8 LAKE TANGANYIKA REGION
Monday, December 05, 2005 at 12:19:55 UTC

Preliminary Earthquake Report
U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center
World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

The earthquake occurred in the Western Rift of the East African rift system. The East African rift system is a diffuse, approximately 3000-km-long, zone of crustal extension that passes through eastern Africa from Djibouti and Eritrea on the north to Malawi on the south and that constitutes the boundary between the Africa plate on the west and the Somalia plate on the east. At the earthquake's latitude, the Africa and Somalia plates are spreading apart at a rate of about four millimeters per year. The earthquake occurred beneath Lake Tanganyika, the basin of which was created by the rifting process. The largest earthquake to have occurred in the rift system since 1900 had a magnitude of about 7.6. Earthquakes within the East African rift system occur as the result of both normal faulting and strike-slip faulting.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And what is this all about? Zambia? Tsunami

News24.com: Earth tremor shakes Zambia

06/12/2005

The United States embassy in Lusaka warned of the possibility of a tsunami on Lake Taganyika, citing information from the Pacific Tsunami warning centre. The US embassy said: "It is possible that this seismic activity triggered or will trigger a tsunami." A local government spokesperson Roy Kuseka said the tremor caused panic. Kuseka said: "It was not very serious though it shook high rise buildings and people screamed for help", adding that it was felt for about 10 minutes. He said Ndola, a mining town situated about 400km north of Lusaka, was the most affected though reports from areas near lake Tanganyika had not yet being received.

The earthquake that registered 7.5 on the Richter scale shook east and central Africa, killing at least one person and injuring several others in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, near the epicentre on the border with Tanzania.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

And

News24.com: Quake hits central Africa
05/12/2005 15:51

News24.com: Quake hits 6 African countries
05/12/2005 22:52

---------------

AllAfrica.com: Panic in Nairobi As Tremors Hit Six EA States
The East African Standard (Nairobi)
December 6, 2005
Posted to the web December 5, 2005

AllAfrica: Earthquake Hits East Africa
December 5, 2005

AllAfrica: Tremor Sparks Panic in Kenya
The Nation (Nairobi)
December 5, 2005

---------------

IOL: Strong quake hits East Africa
December 05 2005 at 07:36AM

IOL: Earthquake shakes East Africa
December 05 2005 at 07:58AM

IOL: Children buried in Lake Tanganyika quake
December 05 2005 at 10:59PM

IOL: African earthquake causes death and damage
December 05 2005 at 11:45AM

IOL: Aftershocks felt after quake in East Africa
December 06 2005 at 04:12AM

---------------

CNN: East Africa quake buries children
December 5, 2005

Guardian: African earthquake buries children in homes
December 6, 2005

Xinhua: Tremor sparks panic in Kenya
2005-12-06

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
One man was trying to water his flowers, another was trying to talk to his secretary and former Nairobi Mayor Joe Aketch thought he was going to H...

AllAfrica.com: City Residents Terrified As Offices Shake

The Nation (Nairobi)
December 6, 2005
Posted to the web December 6, 2005

A man watering flowers outside Ken Esiromo was surprised water could not go in the direction he was directing it.

Said the Laikipia East MP: I was talking to the secretary, and all of a sudden, the building started swaying

Former Nairobi mayor Joe Aketch was forced to run out of his office at Utalii House when he realised he had survived. At first I thought I was getting sick. My chair was vibrating like hell, but when I knew what it was, I walked so fast, he said.

Someone mentioned the obvious danger of possible killer aftershocks. It set off sirens and causing evacuations (and probably some panic too).

AllAfrica.com: Quake Panic Grips Nairobi

December 7, 2005

On Haile Selassie Avenue, the Times Tower, which houses Central Bank and Kenya Revenue Authority, was evacuated early in the morning after sirens went off following reports that the tremors aftershocks could result in worse damage, even deaths.

City still vulnerable
Experts said Nairobi remains vulnerable to such catastrophes due to its closeness to the epicentre. The city is on Zone D/4, making it more exposed to earth tremors, said Nicodemus Mulwa of APA Insurance.

Mondays quake was the first fatal seismic event in the region since 2002 when Africas deadliest eruption in 25 years swept away thousands of homes and killed 25 people after the 11,380-foot Mt Nyiragongo exploded near the eastern Congo town of Goma.

They have camps for tens of thousands of refugees already in place from wars and such. And an official at the Goma volcano observatory is talking about a possible eruption of the Goma volcano.

AllAfrica.com: Panic As Giant Earthquake Rocks East Africa

Business Day (Johannesburg)
December 6, 2005

Bonnardeaux said damage was reported in Kabalo, a Congolese town 300km east of Kalemie along the Lukuga River. The desperately poor region has camps for tens of thousands of refugees from wars and economic collapse in Congo and Burundi.

Celestin Kasereka Mahinda, an official at the Goma volcano observatory, said the quake could, however, affect volcanic activity. Gomas Nyiragongo volcano last erupted on January 18 2002, forcing 300000 people to flee and destroying the homes of 120000.

The quake disrupted trials at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.

AllAfrica.com: Earthquake Disrupts Trials At the ICTR

Hirondelle News Agency (Lausanne)
December 5, 2005

An earthquake Monday disrupted trials at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).

All trials were then suspended pending further examination by security officials.

The Arusha International Conference Centre which hosts the tribunal was immediately evacuated. No one among the thousands of people who work there was injured.

The trials which were going on before they were interrupted were the Military I (four accused), Butare (six accused), the trial of Andre Rwamakuba and that of Colonel Tharcisse Muvunyi.

[edit on 2007/5/18 by Hellmutt]

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Another quote from one of the Africa quake reports I quoted from above. Journalists had no choice but to grab a press release (about Internet access for all) and flee the building leaving their TV cameramen behind. There were dancing buildings and ghosts pushing chairs...

AllAfrica.com: City Residents Terrified As Offices Shake
The Nation (Nairobi)
December 6, 2005

Fear gripped journalists as they struggled to keep up with JamboTelkom general manager Helen Kinoti, who was winding up a statement on her firms efforts to ensure Internet access for all.

There was only one thing left: To follow the numerous footsteps of people making a hasty exit. No chance to ask questions, except grab the press release, leaving TV cameramen to take care of their equipment.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keriako Tobiko was in the middle of a meeting in his office at the NSSF Building with World Bank Country Director Colin Bruce. In the middle of the conversation Bruce asked me: Is your building dancing? I said: I also feel so.

The Cooperative House on Haile Selasie Avenue was also jolted by the tremor. I felt my chair move, but I thought it was somebody pushing it. When I looked back, I saw nobody. That is when I realised it was an earth tremor, Mr Norman Mutwiwa said.

posted on Dec, 10 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Kathryn Cramer made a Google Earth Overlay out of the USGS shake map and put it in her blog.

Source: Kathryn Cramer Congo Earthquake, plus GoogleEarth Overlay

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It was a powerful quake but it didn't do much damage. It caused some panic.

BBC

Around 4pm, we were working in the office and witnessed a serious tremor. It continued for 5 minutes. We got panicked. Then the situation become normalised.
Syed, Kampala & Uganda

It woke me up from a nap. The frame for the mosquito netting shook, and seemed to go on for about ten seconds. But my son, who was outside, did not feel it at all, even though we were 90 miles north of the epicentre.
Rebecca Sun, Kigoma, Tanzania

I was with my sister and a few customers here in the internet cafe, and I actually felt my chair rocking. It didn't bother me so much until someone next door came out running, shouting that it was an earthquake, but no body was hurt thank God.
Catherine Muwonge, Uganda, Kampala

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Another earthquake just hit near the same place! A Magnitude 6.0!

USGS: Magnitude 6.0 - LAKE TANGANYIKA REGION, CONGO-TANZANIA
2007 March 28 21:17:16 UTC

new topics

top topics

join