It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by clarissa
This is a little off topic but, i was raised in a mormon family. i thought mormons were sooooo nice and caring and wrongly discriminated against. THEN i grew up! they brain wash their members. i remember being told that as soon as i was 18 i needed to go enroll at BYU find a nice return missionary get married and pop out 5 babies so that i could gaurantee a spot in the celestrial kingdom! yes they believe there are different "levels" of heaven and you can only go to the highest level of glory if you are married with kids and baptized in the mormon church.

....Yes their are three "Levels" of Heaven, their are three different glories because it wouldn't be fair for a person who followed heavenely father scriptures word by word and be placed in the same room with a man who went to church off and on and lived by half of the scriptures.

Another Example, wouldn't it be fair a child with perfect attendance recieve the same and equal reward as a child with out perfect attendance? You get my drift?

And Mormons are not "Brainwashed" thats just a dumb assumption, respect us will ya sheesh.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Any Religion is an institution - and as such - it's primary objective is self-perpetuation.

Those who fall victim to their methods of self-perpetuation are a little gullible.

I prefer to find our Creator with my own unique Spirit. If I want to associate with other like minded individuals - it won't be within any religious institution - primarily because of my first point.

As for Mormons - my entire maternal side of the family is Mormon and I've always been amazed at how truly dysfunctional they are (with the exception of one Aunt who I'm convinced is a Saint despite her religion!).

By their fruits we shall know them. I've yet to meet anyone within any given Religion who - if they didn't possess their own independent sense of spirituality - truly reflect Love.

posted on Dec, 21 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I was raised in the mormon church. Theoretically, the church still considers me a member, although I've requested over and over again to have my name removed.

Some comments and links here regarding all of the occult symbology on and around the temples. I know these are occult symbols because I am a practicing eclectic witch now. I have never had anyone in the mormon church expalin what the significance of any of these are in regards to the mormon church. . MAybe someone in this thread will know.

Also, about Kolob. This is the planet that according to mormon scripture, that God (Elohim) lives near.

Kolob means "the first creation" -- which is "nearest to the celestial, or the residence of God", as McConkie assures us. "Our scriptures say that God told Moses only about this planet," said LDS apostle Neal A. Maxwell in a television interview. "But we're not worshiping a one-planet God." (Salt Lake Tribune Aug 1996 Vol. 252 No. 118)

In his famous Facsimile 2, an Egyptian papyrus which Joseph Smith translated, the Mormon prophet reveals several other Mormon celestial objects. Amongst them are the planet Oliblish and the planet Enish - go - on - dosh.

Mormon holy texts reveal that our universe is inhabited by many alien space civilizations, each of which is governed by a resurrected Mormon male who has proven himself worthy of being a God for one or more planets. Mormons believe that almost everyone from Earth once lived in outer space.

Are the gods arranged in a hierarchical order, with Kolob's Jehovah at the top, or are all gods equal and can do as they please, in their respective spheres of influence?

Which god's rules should a prudent space traveler obey, if traveling from the dominion of one god to the region of influence of another god?

For example, it's just possible that some gods would allow, perhaps require, the drinking of coffee or wine, as a holy sacrament. At the same time this god might prohibit polygamy, the use of secret hand-clasps, and the wearing of special underwear -- all very Mormon activities. What would a good Mormon from Planet Earth (or Kolob) do in this case?

What would the prudent space traveler do when entering the domain of an alien god?

Should he or she leave behind the mores of their former existence and adopt the new values?

Should one steadfastly cling to the values of the old religion, and hope that the new God would be understanding, and make an exception?

Should a space alien, upon entering our solar system, learn and accept Jehovah's commandments, and reject that good old-time religion taught on the home planet?

I assure you that I am being completley serious here. If you truly study the mormon doctrine, this is exactly what they believe. If anyone more references to the above, I can provide links. Just google Kolob & mormon and compare the scripture verses with the actual books.

To view the occult symbols, click here:

www.luciferlink.org...

www.helpingmormons.org...

www.helpingmormons.org...

www.irr.org...

Blessed be.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
rigo_s asks:

I just want to ask in why so many people are so urgent in portraying "mormons" as totally evil, and wrong in their beliefs and intentions..I've come to learn that LDS members (if any of u had the chance to meet them) are very nice...well kept...humble people....they are always striving to do good...and will help anyone they can if they get the opportunity...so why all the fuss....they are much more "Christ-like" than most people in this "materialistic" world...can't you just respect them..the way they respect "you"...just approach them as a regular person...not as someone who you "think" is learned of a "crazy" religion..just ponder about this...

This is a good question. I have found that it is no contradiction to like as people the Latter Day Saints that I have met and yet still feel they are peculiar in their beliefs. Sorry, folks. Your religion is so new that all of the funny business that went into its making can be either found directly or guessed at from the clues left by Joseph Smith and his little group of golden plate translators. Then there is the legacy of persecution and the retaliation. Mormons were driven westard and masacred, so they fought back and did some masacring of their own. This engendered hostility on both sides and it's still under the surface.

In addition, I think that most believing Christians are probably made uncomfortable by Mormons because any new religion (and the 19th century is new when most religions are over 1000 years old) reminds believers that their religion was young once and probably looked a lot like the Mormons. (They don't usually think this consciously, although my wife, who is an apostate Catholic, claims that the existence of the Mormons contributed to her losing her faith for the very reason I suggest here.) All new religions are a) somewhat whacky and b) persecuted by the "gentiles" as the Mormons call people of other religions. The whackiness of a two thousand year old religion is easier to ignore by virtue of being familiar. (A good illustration is the Vatican official who called a recently discovered heretical text "the product of second century fantasies" or something like that; this is laughable, because much of Christian belief goes back not to the first Christians but to second century fabrications and doctrinal fantasies that are exactly contemporary with the heresies the Vatican guy was criticizing.)

Also, I must say that the '___' has some very silly TV ads! I'm just amused by them, but members of other religions have to be rolling their eyes for the reasons stated above.

[edit on 28-2-2006 by bebop12]

[edit on 28-2-2006 by bebop12]

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 09:48 PM
link   
About the alien thing -- I asked my seminary teacher about this like...a week ago or so. All the "aliens" are supposed to look just like humans. Something to do with that whole "made in His image" stuff.

The Latter-Day Saint religion, like most, are under the impression that the afterlife is governed by laws similar to the ones on Earth. It's not -- comparing anything on Earth to something in the "afterlife" is like comparing the laws of dreams to that of waking life. Doesn't work.

I think that there's nothing "wrong" with this church. However, like pretty much all religions, it's founded on a basis of truth yet garbled by a whole lot of fiction.

posted on Feb, 28 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Please don't ask me! This thread is too personal.

I was raised Baptist. My wife was raised Mormon. I believe the way Presbyterian's do. My wife believes the way Baptist's do. My inlaws are Mormons. My parents are Baptists. I think God put us together so we could both grow. I think I needed to become more understanding. I think she needed to feel God's love.

You all talk really big. Some of you say Mormons are right. Others of you say Mormons are evil. What do you really know? I say both sides can be very hurtful.

All I know is this. My wife thought she would go to hell or "outer darkness" for going to a baptist church. She went anyway. I had my faith shaken over whether or not she was a Christian. I married her anyway. She loves me more than any protestant girl I ever met. She despised mormon boys. You all know nothing.

I'm glad that God is my judge and not Salt Lake City or the Vatican or Nashville or any other denomination. God knows that we are just people. We are ignorant. We are easily led astray. We are just people. That's why He make it simple. Call upon the name of the Lord (Jesus) and thou shalt be saved. PERIOD!

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Didn't frontier mormons dress up as indians and slaughter a whole city's worth of people on a wagon train, because one member of that city was a theif and 'blood atonement' was the only way to wash away the sin of stealing.. ?

If older mormon men werent sending the young men away on long missions so they can marry the very young girls without contest, and their prophet didnt stick his head into a magic hat to translate indian hyroglyphics, written by a missing tribe of indian jews which was proven not to exist; then maybe we'd think a tad more highly of them.

posted on Jun, 16 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I'll have to somewhat agree with the original post. I am a pentecostal christian and have had the privilege to meet a few mormons in my time.

At this point you may be thinking
"hang on reflector... you're not a committed christian because the LDS church teaching is heresy."

or

"hang on reflector... does this mean you accept the LDS church teaching?"

Actually neither are true. I do not believe that the beliefs of christianity are compatible with the teachings of mormonism. (monotheistic vs polytheistic for a start) I believe that the revelation of Joseph Smith Jr was not of God. I also believe that the bible is the infallible word of God.

HOWEVER

In the same sentence, let me say that I do not hate mormons. In fact one of my closest friends is a mormon. Although their faith through works doctrine directly conflicts with the bible, (yes even the KJV) mormons' humanitarian work has made a big difference in the world we live in.

It's easy to demonise people from other religions... especially if you have a strong faith in your own... but think on this. Most mormons believe they are following God... they believe that they are on the true path. How must it break God's heart to see people thinking they are truly following him, but are really being led astray.

John 6:28-29 (King James Version)
Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I have nothing against Mormons or the LDS, although I think Joseph Smith may actually have been on '___'.

My question is, why does Mormonism still exist when none of their prophecies have come true?
Joseph Smith the False Prophet
Failed Prophecies of Joseph Smith

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Yet Mormon belief puts forward that we are not members in the Body of Christ, but rather this Jesus character was actually the Archangel Michael pretending to be this Jesus character.

Mormons don't believe that Jesus was the archangel Michael. You don't know what you are talking about. Believe me I know, I was raised up in the stuff and you are totally wrong. I am not trying to argue just stating a fact.

Rock On!

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigo_s

If Mormons' continue to degrade civil liberties, then their brand of thinking is crazy. But, I guess I am pro-happiness, and pro-free will.

Mormoms for free will?

Actions and behaviors seem to tell me otherwise.

Judging is something we recieved by listening to SATAN.

Free Will is why SATAN was jealous.

Free Will was God's gift to man.

Mormons demonstrate they are not for "Free Will".

Mormons' ideology only offend me because they offend God's will.

[edit on 20-12-2005 by Esoteric Teacher]

You hit the nail right on the head. IMO they are judgemental and the total opposite of what they claim to be. I have met some that are way awesome though.

It's a business and they will change their holy rules if they have too. I remember in the 70's that Black people could not hold the priesthood. The church was getting a bunch of crap for it and then what do you know, they said Heavely Father spoke to the "PROFIT" and know it was okay for Black people to have the priesthood.

It's just like the piligamy thing. Now they say they don't believe in it until you get to the celestial kingdom after you die (If you are perfect and make it anyway). You know they changed that rule because of the same reason (Politics). It is sickening to me because most of them jugde people who are piligamists as weirdo's. Does that make any sense to you?

I don't care as long as someone is cool, that is all I care about.

posted on Jun, 17 2007 @ 05:58 AM
link   

....Yes their are three "Levels" of Heaven, their are three different glories because it wouldn't be fair for a person who followed heavenely father scriptures word by word and be placed in the same room with a man who went to church off and on and lived by half of the scriptures.

Another Example, wouldn't it be fair a child with perfect attendance recieve the same and equal reward as a child with out perfect attendance? You get my drift?

And Mormons are not "Brainwashed" thats just a dumb assumption, respect us will ya sheesh.

This is not a trash on you, just my opinion. I have the right to say this cuz I was raised up in the church. Thank God Iron Maiden and some Mary Jane saved me.

To me hell would be sitting in the celestial kingdom with a bunch of fakes that are supposedly perfect. I would much rather be in the terrestrial one with the cool people.

I don't believe any of the christian religions. That does not mean I don't believe in God and Jesus.

The word of wisdom is a bunch of crap too. Most mormons when they get older are fat as can be. It is a scam to get money and more members. But if you are happy that is great I try not to judge, just give my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 27 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Blessings,

I was raised by my father as a Catholic. I was raised by my g-grandfather as a Witch. Now, this may seem contraversial to many people about how a person can be more than one religion and still be a part of that Body. I am now 24 and an "out of the broomcloset" Witch, happily married and with one son. My wife and mother-in-law are Witches as well. There is a little background before I go deeper into my personal views.

When I had turned 17 I fell in love with a very beautiful, intelligent, and wise woman. Now the thing is, she was Mormon. She taught me many things about her religion, her father (the most honorable man I have ever met) took me under his wing and told me many things that he taught in Priesthood Session. Naturally, I had a lot of questions. They all knew I was a Witch living in a Catholic household, respected that, and didn't try to convert me at all.

Many of the questions I asked and lessons I learned showed me that many of the beliefs of the LDS Church were in keeping with many of the beliefs I hold as a Witch. Needless to say, when I turned 18 (and was kicked out of the house by an "evil stepmother" who was herself raised in a house of Witches and hated the thought) they took me in, fed me, sheltered me, knowing that I had been baptised into their Church but yet was still a Witch. I still smoked, drank coffee (helped a lot with my Manic Depression, I was and am still against proscriptions drugs), and still held my rituals.

She and I later split up, not because of the religious issues, but because we both were heading different directions in life. She and I are still good friends.

Now, the thing about this story is that not all Mormons are close-minded bigots. Some still remember the early history of the church, and Joseph Smith Jr.'s connection to the Occult while still being tithe-temple-goers. That is where Personal Revelation comes into the foreground.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Meh, the Mormon's aren't so bad. Well, I'm more of a fan of the females...I'll leave it at that.

Church of Gaming. The way to go.

posted on Jul, 2 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I have nothing but respect for Mormons. They go into their communities and don't hide away and count their pennies like a lot of religions.
They practice what they preach and always have time for a chat about God.

The ones from the local chapter who visit my apartment block are always clean, well dressed and very respectful.
Quite a few years ago, they used to visit regularly to read bible stories to my son when he was a lot younger.

I was really suspicious that all they wanted was for us to convert but there was no hard sell and they respected the fact that I wouldn't change my or my sons religion. Even after the bible stories stopped they would often just knock on the door to say Hi and ask how we were.

Another thing that is rarely known about them is that a percentage of their tythes go towards the running of a huge geneology database that is TOTALLY FREE for anyone who wants to find their ancestors.
They have a strong belief that EVERYONE has the right to know where they come from.
They also have rooms that the general public can go to view microfilms of family data.

I found a few long lost relatives on theie database from Europe and it helped me to trace my family tree back quite a way.

The website is called family search and I encourage anyone who has met a road block in their ancestral search to try it . You'd be amazed by what you can find...

www.familysearch.org...

Thanks to the Mormons for this very valuable community service.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join