It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Exploration - Fiction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
1. In 2009, the first manned mission to Mars - A success, Cavern discovered nearby landing site, damp rocks, Microbial life found.

2. 2017, A permanent research facility is set up on Mars, allowing research into "2nd Genesis", the cavern found to contain life.

3. Ion Engines fully developed - The first flight to Saturn in 2029. However, due to unforseen events the astronauts tragically die.

4. Gravity Experiments that began at CERN, reach their end as its secondary particle accelerator and the entire research compound is "sucked" into a micro-singularity. However, Minor Gravity "well" technology is developed from the research, allowing 22% gravity on-board space vehicles in 2044

5. Second Ion Engine Space craft built. Project Infinity blasts off in 2050.

6. Efficient antimatter production created, 2077. However it is so far too little far too late. Global warming has reached a critical stage, and in 2078 the world watches as the the ice caps begin their inevitable return to liquid form, and the rising of the worlds oceans.

7. Unbenownst the rest of the world, in 2049 CERN's main investor at the time, offered CERN a generous gift. A small, private island off the coast of the Mediterranean. There, they secretly restarted work on micro-singularity technology, funds and materials maticulously routed and rerouted through country after country, account after account, making sure that it would take anyone years to track down the destination.

8. In 2099, the first, man-made, stable wormhole between two points on the globe is sustained for no more than 0.045 of a second, transmitting, into a vaccuum at the other end, 68 micro-organisms. This paves the way, although unbenownst to them at the time, to what would essentially be "stargate" technology.

Finally, after almost 500 years of innovation, research, hardship, discovery, in 2468, the first man made object to travel faster than the speed of light astonishes the globe, with the invention of a fuelless energy drive, allowing a progressive increase of speed without the necessity of adding progressively more fuel. In doing so, ship after ship is developed, each one capable of travelling at unimaginable speeds.

9. 2791- Unmanned probes are sent to the far reaches of the galaxy, each carrying 18 Artificial life forms and one, very important device. A Star Gate.

10. With the universe at its knees the human race begins down the next path on the infinite journey that is the cosmos. After that, the rest is history.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Very interesting, and very optimistic account of possible future events. If they were to unfold that way I only wish I could be around to see it happen

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Isn't that one of Asimov's books? "The farthest star" i think it was called

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
If all that were, I mean were to take place it would be really cool for the human race, and sad to say I would be long gone from seeing half of it. Or would I?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well atleast we got ion propulsion
www.space.com... opulsion_000816.html

Getting more Sci and less Fi all the time

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
very interesting
i just hope that back on earth they find a way to keep us alive longer because i sure as hell want to see the later parts...

-UnterMir

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Thanks im glad you like it. I didnt just make it up entirely from scratch though, the dates should be an rough guideline as to when, if all goes to plan, these events could occur
based on research currently, the progression of certain technology etc.

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Isn't that one of Asimov's books? "The farthest star" i think it was called

Unfortunately i've never read that book, so no not from it, although it could be similar

Originally posted by Harvestfreak
If all that were, I mean were to take place it would be really cool for the human race, and sad to say I would be long gone from seeing half of it. Or would I?

Something might interest you Harvestfreak and UnterMir

Not so long ago, this popped up 30% longer life span

Then not long after, this article appeared in the news Anti Ageing gene manipulated - 50% longer life span

And now, the aptly named Elixir Pharmaceuticals claims they will soon be able to manipulate the gene that causes you to age, to such an extent that it basically resets the gene each time, meaning there could be no concievable expiry date on human life using this drug

[edit on 5-12-2005 by Shadow88]

join