It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to launch manned craft soon?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well,
This has been on the backburner of the news for awhile...

But, according to China's state news agencies, they 'may' try to launch a manned Shenzou craft into space sometime after October 1st (to celebrate the founding of the Chinese Communist party and the end of Jiang Zemin's term as chairman of the military committee).

Here are some links:

www.cbsnews.com...

www.space.com...

www.astronautix.com...

www.spacedaily.com...

Some of these articles are old (from 2002), but I selected them to show how the program has been going.

The astronautix article gives a break down of the Shenzou's specs.

Of note: Shenzou is based on the Soyuz design, which, in turn, was originally designed to go to the moon... However, Shenzou is actually more complicated than Soyuz and sports a larger equipment module. One wonders if what we are seeing is really the early stages of a manned moon program by China? Perhaps they'll buy booster tech from Russia soon?

PS: I've seen it spelled 'Shenzhou' and 'Shenzou', so pardon my spelling if it is wrong.

[Edited on 24-9-2003 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Yeah most Chinese earn about $3 a day but they gotta be in space!

Yep, gotta star down those imperialistic capitalistic Yanks.

Me wonders what they plan to do up there anyways?

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I just read an article that says they're now aiming for an October 15th launch date (or around then, as it's secret). Also, Shenzhou V supposedly (based on a photo of it during assembly) is carying two large cameras outside its equipment/orbital module, so some are speculating that it will be conducting some sort of recon over the course of the week it will be orbiting...

In a way, I hope they are successful, because a new space race will stimulate the US side of things.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I agree, with Chinese manned space missions flying overhead, Congress and our space agency will probably put some urgency back in our program and get back on it's feet.

Any agency needs focus and a long term goal to suceed, something NASA has been lacking. I would rather it be exploration and the good of man kind but if it has to be "Space Domination" and "A race against the Red Dragons" so be it.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure they are going to crash. In fact, they are not ready to a launch on 1st october but it's a good date for the propaganda (I've got the impression to be back in 60's, when USSR and USA was doing them space race)?

You know how important propaganda is in China.

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Shenzhou Secrets: China Prepares for First Human Spaceflight

By Leonard David
Senior Space Writer
posted: 07:00 am ET
24 September 2003

After four unmanned trial flights, China's first-ever piloted spacecraft, the Shenzhou 5 is set to soar. When it does, and if triumphant, China will be propelled into an exclusive country club status: The third nation capable of independently rocketing humans into Earth orbit.
Although tight-lipped on a range of technical details, Chinese space officials have hinted at a multi-pronged human spaceflight program, including space station construction, as well as eventual travel to the Moon, all by 2020.
China's first piloted space journey could occur as early as next month. And as NASA comes to grips with a grounded space shuttle fleet, the Red Dragon is on the rise

Headlines that should make some think. There was War in Heavon - Michael and his Angels fought against the Dragon, who was cast out of Heavon.

Michael

home.earthlink.net... My concept 4 a Shuttle, Space Station, Moon Base

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Sometime around next wednesday could be the day... However, I wouldn't be surprised if they went sooner, so as to gain that extra bit of 'shock and awe'.

However, if the news is busy this week with the Israel-Syria mess, they might hold off until the Oct. 15th date so as to get the maximum amount of coverage.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Does anyone else find it ironic that Russia and China (so they claim) have the ability to put humans into space, but the United States doesn't. It looks like the space shuttle fleet, or what's left of it, is grounded until 2005. Even then we probably won't have a viable replacement vehicle.

I bet Arthur C. Clarke and every other science fiction author cry themselves to sleep every night....

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
As many people are prone, around here, to point out...

The public American space program is a disaster... However, there's no way of telling how far along the various secret programs are.

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe the chinese are sending up a garbage can full of mice or rats?

Just joking.

Wonder who is really paying for this, keep buying all that trash at the dollar stores folks!

posted on Oct, 7 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
First off... I think every nation has the right to peacefully explore outer space... and I wish the Chinese taikonauts good luck...

Here is an excellent article on their program. It's about four pages long and covers a lot of stuff, as well as showing a picture of the Long March/Shenzhou in the vehicle assembly building, being prepped for launch:

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:02 PM
link   
October 15 is now published as a date for launch, one orbit, no confirmation if they are sending up one or two or more people.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Considering that the Chinese helped to ground the Space Shuttle fleet, I am not really surprised.

I am just wondering what the Chinese hope to get out of this, other than possibly some public recognition.

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
My guess is that the Chinese government is looking at this as a recruitment tool for engineers and scientists. The space program in the US was definitely a factor in so many kids going into the sciences in the 60's.

They want to move from a cheap manufacturing powerhouse to a design and manufacturing powerhouse. I am sure that they want a piece of the marketing and distribution profits as well. In country engineering, Chinese brand lables, and continuing improvements in quality......$$$$$

posted on Oct, 8 2003 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Considering that the Chinese helped to ground the Space Shuttle fleet, I am not really surprised.

I am just wondering what the Chinese hope to get out of this, other than possibly some public recognition.

You mind elaborating on that?

jra

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
ah you beat me to it flinx. i was just about to say "wtf?!"

yes DR please elaborate. i don't think i've heard this one before...

posted on Oct, 9 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I think DR is referring to the theory of Chinese Scalar weaponry being used to take down the shuttle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, DR.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
Yeah most Chinese earn about $3 a day but they gotta be in space!

Yep, gotta star down those imperialistic capitalistic Yanks.

Me wonders what they plan to do up there anyways?

i wonder to. what if this "manned space launch" is a nuclear attack on tiwan or japan, or even the United States?

posted on Oct, 13 2003 @ 02:39 PM
link   
A new article on the launch date... with some discussion on the implications of a Chinese space flight:
www.reuters.com...;jsessionid=RXUOGLVX3CMJUCRBAEKSFFA?type=reutersEdge&storyID=3605087

posted on Oct, 15 2003 @ 01:12 AM
link   
just seen the launch on the news, apparently hte crafts due back later on today.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join