It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Thousands Report Fiery Mysterious Object Over Australia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
A mysterious object has been reported by thousands of people over Western Australia with eyewitness accounts saying that it lit the whole sky up and made it look almost daylight. The object was seen at 9PM West Australian time and was described as a silver ball with a greeny red tail that looked like fireworks. It was followed by a large thundering noise that shook buildings and a second object. Perth astronomer Peter Birch has stated that the object was a meteor.

www.abc.net.au
"It's come in across the state of Western Australia and burnt up in the atmosphere down over the south-west," he said.

"It may well have gone out over the southern ocean.

"It lit up the countryside for hundreds of kilometres around the south-west of Western Australia."

Helen Bignell was driving just north of Kojonup when she saw the meteor.

"All of a sudden the sky lit up, it was a bright as daylight it was quite unbelievable," she said.

Another witness, Brent, says he did not need his torch as the object passed.

"I could turn the torch off because the whole sky was just bright purple," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The official line is this was a meteor but many witnesses to the event are not so sure. UFO hotlines ran off the hooks all night with thousands of reports flooding in about the object.

Relatd Links
www.abovetopsecret.com...
ATSNN Exclusive Report With Eyewitness Helen Bignell.

[edit on 4-12-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is not good. Armageddon, here we come?!!

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Oh crap!

Now that that is settled I'd like to comment on the implications if it IS a metor. Sure if its a UFO we could all be roasted alive, disintegrated, dissected, and so forth. Nobody cares if a meteor lands somewhere around, right?

Wrong.

The thing is that if it was big enough to "light up the sky" and turn it "bright purple", its gotta be REAL big. And who knows what it was carrying? Bacteria of some sort? A compound poisonous to Earthly life? Antimatter?

Granted all of these are very unlikely. But then again so was the asteroid that nailed the dinosaurs real good. If so many people saw it it musta been SOMETHING. BUT WHAT?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Bloody hell that thing must have been huge!

I just saw a news report on it, it was like purple-blue, and it had a rather long tail - bit like a commet, and it was just flying, every 1.5~2 seconds it sort of "pulsed" that is it got really bright, then wen back to normal as it was crashing, and it disapeared behind the mountains.

They say it got superheated in the atmosephere and exploded.

But I don't think it did, I think it crashes somewhere, I didn't see it explode...can't imagine how they came to such a conclusion.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I think you are getting a little exicted Darkpr0

Peter Birch, from Astronomy West, estimates the meteor was about the size of a basketball.

Argh run, doomsday !

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:33 AM
link   
By the way, NASA says:

Every year, thousands of cosmic bodies bombard the Earth's atmosphere, with a few hundred surviving the journey to impact land or sea. Meteorites the size of a basketball strike Earth about once a month, with nearly 75 percent landing in water.

www.hq.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:55 AM
link   
OK, where is a video or photos. I know someone must have caught it, and I would love to see it.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
A basketball-sized meteor can release the energy of a nuclear bomb, so it's not surprising at all that this lit up the sky.

As said, this is a fairly common phenomenon.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yes there is video. From reports Peter Birch has copies of video of the event but I don't know when it will find its way to the net.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
What news channel broadcasted the video?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a few years ago, I was leaving a friends house at around 2 am. Just as I pulled out, the whole sky lit up, like a huge lightening strike. It was like daylight for about 2 or seconds. I hurried up and rolled down the window to hear the thunder, but there was nothing. And no more lightening the whole way home.

I thought it was weird till I read in the paper the next day that a meteor hit a few towns away. It was the size of a football.....

That whole sky lit up, Im tellin ya.....a football...

point: It doesnt have to be big. Just dense and traveling REALLY fast.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
i will upload a copy of the vid that i capped from the 5oclock news for you all.

EDIT:

www.dag-nabit.com...
right click save as Xvid encoded AVI file, 2.6MB

HOSTED by me

[edit on 4-23-2006 by ausconspiracies]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Very impressive
Thanks for the video ausconspiracies

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Surely their is a way to check if a meteor was expected..

I am sure I have seen links on this site (as Dulcimer pointed out) to show courses of meteorites, seems funny that we have many astonomers in the world and a meteorite as large as this one was not spotted.

If it were then I am sure that we would have been informed as happens generally when a large meteor shower occurs or when other astronomical occurances happen.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Did anybody locate where the meteorite crashed? It must have left a giant crater. Hopefully it did not land on nobody's head, ouch that would hurt.

On a side note if you plan eating off it, make sure it's not a Boeing bomb. (Joe Dirt reference)

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk... e/shared/player/player.stm?title=Meteor light show shocks Australian city&clipurl=http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/news_web/video/9012da68002cf98/nb/09012da68002d124_16x9_nb.ram&cs=news

its a .ram file might need realplayer. found it a bbc.co.uk/news

[edit on 4-12-2005 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
Did anybody locate where the meteorite crashed? It must have left a giant crater. Hopefully it did not land on nobody's head, ouch that would hurt.

On a side note if you plan eating off it, make sure it's not a Boeing bomb. (Joe Dirt reference)

I saw a bright flash in the nothern sky saterday on sunday 0.05 - 0.25 am
I was located at zevenhuizen (gn) the netherlands . flash lit up whole nothern sky for second or two a three. it was clouded didn't see what it was but it was not near I believe Norht sea/ North pole area maybe around the northern norway or between norway and greenland

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
found a story same thing hapend 5 years ago

ufoinfo.com... < year 2000

ufoinfo.com... < 23.00hrs
28-01-2000
Media Reports last night and press reports today in the West Australian newspaper provide preliminary data on yet another West Australian Fireball event.

www.cheniere.org... < This reported that on 28-05-93 at 23.03 hrs. a meteor fireball was seen by several observers flying from south to north between Leonora and Laverton

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thats crazy how much light that gave off.
The entire sky lit up from it.
3 pulses in the video clip then nothing.
No explosions, no impacts, no anything.
It just disappeared.

Weird.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausconspiracies
i will upload a copy of the vid that i capped from the 5oclock news for you all.

EDIT:

www.dag-nabit.com...
right click save as Xvid encoded AVI file, 2.6MB

[edit on 12-4-2005 by ausconspiracies]

Thank you! And here is a Way Above vote for your work.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join