It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building Blasted, Fails To Fall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The structural integrity of buildings in South Dakota appear to be stronger than buildings in New York City, after carefully being rigged for demolition and then the explosive charges fired, the building failed to fall leaving the demolition contractor to try again.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
The abandoned feed mill elevator in downtown Sioux Falls paled in comparison to structures such as Chicago's 1,450-foot Sears Tower or even North Dakota's 242-foot state Capitol in Bismarck, but it was widely considered the tallest building in South Dakota.

That was enough to draw people outside, with temperatures in the teens, to watch the demolition.

Crews had drilled holes into the tower's supporting columns and stuffed them with explosives, intending to drop the tower into a heap of rubble.

(Video on newsite)

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While they will have to demolish the building using more conventional methods, the builders of the WTC could have taken a lesson from the architect on this structure. One sure winner for the day was the Multiple Sclerosis Society which benefitted from the sales of raffle tickets for the priveledge of 'throwing the switch'.

"The raffle tickets raised $25,000 for the charity. Corporate sponsorships, VIP admissions and T-shirt sales were expected to raise the total past $140,000."

Related News Links:
www.aberdeennews.com

[edit on 3-12-2005 by 2stepsfromtop]

[edit on 3-12-2005 by 2stepsfromtop]

[edit on 6-12-2005 by asala]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
You see, this is what amazes me. People just don't learn any lessons from history. All they had to do was set a fire on a floor near the top and wait for 45 minutes. The building would have collapsed into pulverized dust and pick-up sticks at near freefall speed. Of course, it probably survived because it was made of concrete. If it had been constructed of huge steel columns and over-engineered off its head, it would have exploded itself all over the surrounding field within seconds.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hey WCIP...

Why don't you and the others sell your knowlege ( since you seem to know everything about it ) of the use of thermite to the demo team...

Hey never know you may make some $$$ from it...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Why don't you and the others sell your knowlege ( since you seem to know everything about it ) of the use of thermite to the demo team...

That's a great suggestion, Obe-Wan, but knowledge of the thermite reaction has been around since the 1800s when they used it to weld railway tracks, so it's not my knowledge at all. I only reinvestigated it recently since highschool chemistry. One problem with your suggestion is that it doesn't melt so well through concrete, whereas it melts through steel like a hot knife through butter. But the biggest problem is that it leaves pesky pools of molten metal everywhere, and can explode unexpectedly if it contacts something which is vaporized and forms a volatile gas at high temperatures, so it's not really practical.

Good idea, though. Don't lose heart.

[edit on 2005-12-3 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well...then why don't you and the others start your own company ?

You know you may make some $$$ with your all inclusive knowlege of controlled demo's, maybe you can sell your services to this demo team that failed to bring down this building...

Money is what it is all about...correct ?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I'm really not sure where you're going with this...

Spit it out, man!

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Umm...why don't the both of you just cool down for a sec....please. We are talking about the failed demo...not the WTC. Although the original post from WCIP was valid.....it was just a thought of his...I think. Now, why can't we talk about the subject at hand and not try to personal attack each other? Nothing to see here (these are not the droids you're looking for)...move along.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
What's not to know?

It's called putting your mouth where the money is...

In other words you, and some of the other bombites claim that bombs brought down the towers, in such a way that there were were no eye witnesses as to the placements of the bombs. That to me says that you and the other bombites know of a way to do it ( but aren't telling anyone )...

So...put your mouth where the money is, and start your own company...

You would eliminate the crews that are needed to pretty much gut the building, so the demo team can get to where they need to place the explosives...

So you could stand to make a lot of $$$ with your theory's and knowlege by eliminating a whole crew...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Umm...why don't the both of you just cool down for a sec....please. We are talking about the failed demo...not the WTC. Although the original post from WCIP was valid.....it was just a thought of his...I think. Now, why can't we talk about the subject at hand and not try to personal attack each other? Nothing to see here (these are not the droids you're looking for)...move along.

No...

WCIP's original post alluded to the WTC collapse ( read it again, and think about it ), this is why I posted...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Jedi_Master, you make an excellent point regarding how much potential $$$ can be made from the lessons learnt from 9-11; a point which I have been stating for months and months now. Let me repost a post I made long, long ago:

====================================================
posted on 2005-7-4 at 22:14

I've come up with a way to make millions and millions of dollars of easy money. We all know that if you can provide a service of the same or better quality than your competitors, but at a much lower price, you are guaranteed to make it big, right?

That's why I'm going to start a company called...

Wecomeinpeace Demolition by Fire Inc.

What we will do is offer a building demolition service, capable of demolishing any building, no matter how strong, into its own footprint and snapping its massive steel beams into truck-length pieces, but for about 1/911th the price of those silly corporations that use explosives to do the job. How will we do it? Okay, I'll do a little demonstration, but stick with me because it gets a little bit complex...

Equipment needed:

Three cans of petrol - cost: approx. $2.20 each

One pack of matches - Cost: approx. $0.10

One 47-story steel-frame building - Cost: unimportant (reimbursed via insurance, with profit)

Demolition method:

1. Spread petrol around liberally on a couple of floors.

2. Set match to petrol and allow to burn for 8 hours.

external image

3. Watch as building collapses instantly in a perfectly symmetrical manner.

4. Crack a beer and enjoy a job well done.

It's an absolute MONEY-MACHINE! We can't go wrong! Who would have thought that demolishing buildings would be so damn easy?

But I'm not proud. I know it wasn't really me that discovered the method, so a big shout out to the boys at FEMA for that one. Thanks guys.

I know a lot of you out there are now well aware that fire can completely destroy steel frame buildings in a manner precisely the same as controlled demolition by explosives, so I'm gonna share the love (and the profits) and invite you lot to invest in my company. Put your money where your mouth is, folks, a few dollars and we'll be on the way to riches! Who's with me?

====================================================
So, Jedi_Master...are you in? We can make it rich, baby, you and me!

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Votes anyone ...?! :shk:

I voted "fix intro" because the source article contains no mention of, nor reference to, NYC at all. If allowed I would have voted "No - bias" as well.

There is no true relevance between this and what happened to the towers in any way shape or form. Any attempt to compare the two is apples and oranges.

A feedmill is virtually a solid concrete [rebar reinforced] structure in regards to interioir/exterior walls. An entirely different design and construction process than that of a steel high-rise.

As for the failed demolition ...
From the video, they seemed to have succeeded at taking out the "base/foundation", however there was no weakening [placed explosives] in the upper floors/sections. You can't simply take the legs out from under a block of concrete and expect it to drop and pulverize into a pile of rubble.

WCIP,

While I do respect, and to a great extent agree with , your views regarding the collapse of the WTCs, I also have to say, "There's nothing here ... move along ... move along.

:shk:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   

12m8keall2c wrote:
While I do respect, and to a great extent agree with , your views regarding the collapse of the WTCs, I also have to say, "There's nothing here ... move along ... move along.

Yeah, I know, I know.
My first post was merely taking the piss. But then I couldn't resist having a bit of fun stirring up Jedi since he got so poopy-faced in reaction to it. Can't I have a little fun?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
*srugs*

Jedi_Master, you make an excellent point regarding how much potential $$$ can be made from the lessons learnt from 9-11; a point which I have been stating for months and months now. Let me repost a post I made long, long ago:

Well then do it, make yourself some $$$, or are you afraid it won't work?

Yeah, I know, I know. My first post was merely taking the piss. But then I couldn't resist having a bit of fun stirring up Jedi since he got so poopy-faced in reaction to it. Can't I have a little fun?

So you think it is a game ?

Having a little fun ?

Does this constitute all your posts ?

You know WCIP, I think all your post are to incite an argument just for the "fun" of it...

Not a way to "Deny Ignorance"...

JMO...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Well, WCIP did ask you to join in on the money making. Also, why don't you start a company or are you afraid that fires will NOT bring down a steel structure?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Okay man, you win or whatever. I don't want to continue this any more. It seems clear to me that you have an issue with me personally. If that is the case then it would be best if we continue this via U2U. No hard feelings from me, but I'm out of this thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well, WCIP did ask you to join in on the money making. Also, why don't you start a company or are you afraid that fires will NOT bring down a steel structure?

It's not my theory, so why sould I start a company? The only problem I have is people who claim to have knowlege that they do not, that's why I said hey why not start a company, hey if these folks know more than the experts, then they stand to make a lot of $$$...

Okay man, you win or whatever. I don't want to continue this any more. It seems clear to me that you have an issue with me personally. If that is the case then it would be best if we continue this via U2U. No hard feelings from me, but I'm out of this thread.

I don't have a problem with you personally, I'm just calling your bluff...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Jedi_Master,

The subject, topic and source of this submission is a failed building demolition in South Dakota ... have you voted on the submission?! ... do you have anything to add to the thread?!

If not, PLEASE take this elsewhere. There are a multitude of existing threads pertinent to "What brought the towers down ...". However this is NOT one of them. As always there's U2U for member to member banter.

Thank you! :shk:

[edit to add]
wecominpeace

aberdeennews.com
Redyke said bringing down an old grain elevator is never easy and it's a much different process than trying to collapse a building on itself.

"Every blaster that I know has had difficulty with a head house," he said. "There's not a one that hasn't had a difficulty. It's the nature of the beast."

[underline added for emphasis]

[edit on 12/3/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Hey no problem...butit wasn't me that posted this...

You see, this is what amazes me. People just don't learn any lessons from history. All they had to do was set a fire on a floor near the top and wait for 45 minutes. The building would have collapsed into pulverized dust and pick-up sticks at near freefall speed. Of course, it probably survived because it was made of concrete. If it had been constructed of huge steel columns and over-engineered off its head, it would have exploded itself all over the surrounding field within seconds.

As far as the failure to bring down the building then I would say it was incompetance, they didn't place the explosives where they needed to be...

JMO...

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
lmao at you guys.....somebody needs to be enlightened, so i'll see if i can help:

i just saw this critter up close and personal about a week ago, and got the scoop on it from members of the city government.

the guy that owns the property, the owner of a private corporation, managed to con the city government into paying for the demo with tax payers money. the city in turn chose the lowest bidder for the demolition, which is probably the main reason behind this fiasco.

as for you guys who seem to think that concrete will melt like steel in a high entensity fire, you might want to pick up a chemistry book or two, cause youre looking real ignorant right at the moment IMHO.

voting no due to an apparant lack of research on the writers part.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by snafu7700]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
ho ho ho!

wcip is a GOD.

anyone alse is a HERETIC! BURN THEM!

an obvious case of apples and oranges, but a GREAT opportunity to discuss the MUCH more relevant issue of the WTC(i mean, big silos are IMPORTANT, but not as important).

when MAN builds things, things are STRONG. man fears WEAKNESS and DEATH and DISASTER.

the point is valid. man-made strucures don't just immediately go into freefall. they are designed to STAND, not fall.

new topics

top topics

join