It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Redistribution... Is it working?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Does Welfare or any other system of redistribution really work? One in every five kids live under the poverty line so there are a large number of families who depend on this money. But is it really for the best? Is this just nothing more then insurance for the rich to keep the peace and allow the separation of rich and poor to continue to spread. These systems are set to keep the poor, poor. More of there money is put right back into the economy and local business would prosper. However the people do not; Marx didn't believe in redistribution. He would want the revoluton.

My question is simple; Are these systems of redistribution for the best? Or are they nothing more than insurance for the rich.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Be you referring to Canadian politics or in general the answer is the same.

Your question is loaded.

'Redistribution' is a code word for those that want to see the elderly go without medicine and the poor starve.

To the extent that modest assistance programs still remain in America (for example), they don't exist to "keep the poor poor" (more lovely inverted and loaded logic).

They exist (by popular demand I might add) to keep the poor alive and give them opportunities they'd otherwise never have, and not without much self interest in mind for the businesses that require government assisted, well fed, healthy people to exploit, like Wal-Mart.

So yes, it helps everyone. Just like all "redistribution"
efforts like public schools, public roads, health departments, police and fire departments, a defense department, national parks.... all the things that make a civilized society.

The alternative? How about plagues? Rampant ignorance leading to fundamentalism leading to insurgencies. People too stupid to even work, much less raise children. Crime. In short, sheer, utter chaos. Like if the Libertarians ever ran things.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by RANT]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Heres my 10cents. Welfare isnt ment to be the redisribution of wealth its spose to be something people can turn to when they it hard times and are in genuine need of assitance. Redisribution is a very broad term but I think the best way to help low - middle income earners is to abolish the likes of GST and other bongus taxs.

Low income earners shouldnt pay any income tax they need there hard earned cash to pay for living costs?
Surely if people got a geniune tax breake they would have more money and the burden on crap government services would be reduced.

join