It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you were a kid...what was your favorite toy?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I was definitely a lego-kinda kid too…I never really understood lincoln logs – The colors just didn’t do it for me

I’d always get upset when I couldn’t find that right piece to make my legos perfectly symmetrical - I preferred the small kind that you could choke on over the big kind you could throw at other annoying brats who wanted to steal mine

I’m surprised no one’s said GI Joes yet?!? By themselves they were cool….But I used to have epic wars between them and the Thundercats, He-Man, GI Joes, TMNTs, and so on and so forth….

Sometimes my Micro Machine army would have to come in and save the say

Of course, to get to all my friends houses I’d just hop in my teleporter….er….I mean on my 12-speed….

[edit on 12/5/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I had a mini basket ball net that came down to like 6 feet so I could actually make a shot...As I got older I could dunk on it or make it higher. Oh how i loved dominating my friends.

Legos were awsome as well...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Hmm, my favorite toy is my synthe-rubber vibr...Oh, when I was a kid, ok that's different, I'd have to say Video-games, Legos and this stuffed dog with a santa hat that I named Bob, Bob the santa dog is still one of my favorite "toys" even now.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

by iori_komei:
Hmm, my favorite toy is my synthe-rubber vibr...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hands down it was Legos. I also had this great board game called "Which Witch?" Great fun. Then in '82 my dad brought home an IBM 8086 dual floppy PC and changed me forever.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace

Oh man... I built that space station... I'm famous now!!!

Legos, by far were my favorite toy. I also like those Hot Wheels race tracks you could link together. I still think those are hot today.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Now I loved Legos, by all means. I could sit for hours and build my own little city.

And my little play kitchen was pretty cool too.

((I pretty much grew up in the 90s))

But my all-time favorite toy:

SIT N' SPIN

There was nothing better than sitting on a tiny tiny wheely thingy spinning around and around until you get so dizzy you can hardly stand.

And there was no greater joy than being so dizzy you had to throw up.

A joy which my mother claimed would lead to a life of heavy drinking.

Way to have high hopes for my life, Mom... :shk:

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Lego was great, especially lego technic - build the most complex thing possible, then destroy it in the most imaginitive way! excellent fun!

Transformers - robots in disguise. I used to love the cartoon and the figures, but destroyed most of them.

He Man & The Masters of the Universe - I had loads of figures and a Castle Greyskull. I used to enjoy playing with them, and destroying them.

Matchbox Cars - Were cool for racing down home made downhill racecourses. I used to raid my dads tool kit and smash the cars up with a hammer for 'realistic crash damage'

I guess I was slightly destructive as a child

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
During the summer, I don't think a day went by that my friends and myself didn't get on our Green Machines....

Oh the memories...

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So here I am, it's four o'clock pm and Christmas is just a few weeks away. As my wife put it, "it's time"! So here I am, taking a break from that annual holiday ritual -- putting up the tree.

But as I was untangling the lights, and trying to make the artificial tree bend and assume the shape of a "reall" tree, my thoughts have turned to one of my favorite toys....the lionel train that went around and around the base of the Christmas tree when I was a kid.

I remember when, under the guise of "playing with the train" I'd carefully tear and peel back a corner of my gifts.....just to take a peek. I had to make sure that Santa didn't make any mix ups on his advance deliveries. Anyway, I'd have hours of fun seeing just how big or heavy of a box that old Lionel locomotive could push out of the way without derailing. Ahhhhh, the destructive joys of youth.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   
It would have to be a tie between my Six Million Dollar Man doll with the hole in his head you could look through, or my Evel Knievel motorcycle that you put on this thing that winds up the motorcycle and then it would shoot off. That was complete with Evel Knievel doll of course.

Peace

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Someone earlier mentioned they played outside and didn't have many toys. I was pretty much the same. I was one of those tree-climbing, BMX-riding, soldier-playing, dirty little brats that terrorized every neighborhood before the invention of Nintendo/PlayStation.

I remember we used to use pine cones as 'grenades'. One day I popped my head up from behind our corrugated iron 'fort' just at the wrong moment and CRACK!! Got smacked in the face by a 'grenade'. For about 2 weeks after I had bloody scabs in the perfect pattern of a pine cone right in the middle of my dumbarse forehead.

external image

Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
hey WeComeInPeace, that was hilarious mostly because I, myself, could identify with your pine cone "grenades. Only in my Detroit neighborhood, as a kid we would find empty beer bottles and fill them up with sand. When you threw them against a tree or wall, they'd "explode". The sound of shattering glass and a cloud of sand was the perfect simulation of a grenade. Let me tell you, this was great fun.....until.....I was taken out by "friendly fire". My "friend" Kieth threw a grenade which hit me in the back of the head.

I awoke to see the faces of a couple of para-medics from our local fire-station hovering over me. They bandaged the small cut on the back of my head and then, they drove me, Kieth and the other members of the local "kid army" to the fire station where we got a tour of the fire house. We even got to slide down the pole and fire up the siren on one of the pumpers!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Haha... reminds me of my younger days as well...

No video games for me either... Those were the days when if you survived child-hood you can survive anything.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
I awoke to see the faces of a couple of para-medics from our local fire-station hovering over me. They bandaged the small cut on the back of my head and then, they drove me, Kieth and the other members of the local "kid army" to the fire station where we got a tour of the fire house. We even got to slide down the pole and fire up the siren on one of the pumpers!

Man, what an awesome story! Ya lucky bugger. All I got as a reward for my pain was a smack across the back of the head from my dad when he saw my face. No fair!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
To wecomeinpeace, that smack was your penance for having so much fun.
I think as kids we could judge how much fun we'd had that day by how much trouble we were in that night.

Going out to play, as a child, was always an adventure. We had access to tools and chemicals. We had an endless supply of gasoline to make "fire rivers" in the sand. (mix with oil for more smoke and lower flammability...)
We had acetylene to make a big bang out of a bleach bottle, and you could light a fire just to watch the flames.

Every boy carried a pocket knife, even at school, and nobody got stabbed. When we got into fights, both kids had knives, but we only used our fists or rolled around on the ground trying to get a punch in. We just didn't consider our knives as weapons, they were tools.

Times have sure changed....
I just don't get this whole video game thing that the kids play now.

OH GOD!!!!!! DO I SOUND OLD??????

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
It was either my Shogun Warriors Godzilla, my 12" G.I. Joe Deep Sea Diver, or My Transformers Soundwave. All top-notch toys.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
My favorite toy was a Red Ryder BB Gun with a scope, & a thing on it that told time...lol.

No, My favorite toys were all the G.I.Joe's I had, the 3 & 3/4 inch figures. I used to take them apart & put them together with different parts, & then put them back together.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas
My favorite toy was a Red Ryder BB Gun with a scope, & a thing on it that told time...lol.

Oh man... That reminds me of how deadly I was with a sling shot. Drove my mother crazy with the dead birds in the back yard. Not even sure if you can buy those high velocity sling shots anymore these days.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I´m joining the Lego Club

When I was a bit older (but still a "kid") I used to make tanks, boats and planes of Lego and then I blew them up using small homemade bombs (don´t try this at home kids
). I grew up living next to a gunpowder factory...

Again: Don´t you ever ever ever make homemade bombs, and I mean it!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join