It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you were a kid...what was your favorite toy?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I expect to receive a number of replies that name video games such as X-Box, Nintendo or PlayStation as "favorite toys". However, for the sake of this thread, what were you "traditional" toys; i.e. electric trains, bicycles, teddy bears or board games, etc.

Incidentally, I would have to say that my favorite toy from my childhood had to be "Play Dough" and, of course, good old "Lego's". Both toys provided hours of distraction and fun -- and it was, quite possibly, educational as well.

What was your favorite toy?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Lego was indeed my favourite toy, the hours I could just sit there making anything my mind could come up with.
Whether it be knights defending their castle or robot armies waging war, it was all fun.

oh so fond memories......

[edit on 3-12-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I agree with you ^

Lego was pure awesomeness. I still have boxes of some of the stuff in my loft including all the really old 80s stuff, lol

I also loved my Star Wars figures (The 70s ones) and I still have lots of them.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
My favorite toy when I was little was:

I loved it!

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Books man, couldn't get enough of them. Although I did have this funky robot that moved with tank-like tracks. That was in the 60's, so it was pretty cool for the period.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
He-Man & his friends (the original) and the Six Million Dollar Man had regular battles in my room daily. Other than that my favorite "toys" were anything that got me mobile, Big Wheel, Bikes, Pogo Ball... etc.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Oh my ... there were so many. One of my favorites would had to have been an Erector set that had a small motor unit. Also, the hours and hours spent playing with Lincoln Logs.

At about 8-10 yrs of age, much to my parent's dismay, it changed to include a myriad of household appliances. Clocks, radios, and any sibling's non-functional toys that needed "repaired".
Even at that age I rarely had leftover pieces.

[edit on 12/3/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
We didnt get a lot of what you would call toys when I was a kid, but my favorite present was a 22 rifle I got at 10. My Dad used to take me out to shot it and those are my fondest memories of what was usully a rocky, to say the least, realtionship. We didnt just shoot, we had a chance to talk about life,school, girls, pride, honor, all the things that make a Man. I done the same with my two sons and again those are some of the fondest memories of them.

[edit on 3-12-2005 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I had a train set, but not a permanent setup -- we only had it set up at Christmas time around the tree...

I liked Transformers; as far as video games, I had an Atari but then got into computers with a TI 99/4A then an Apple //c.

My mom says when I was really little I had a fascination with the vacuum cleaner and dragged it around with me and would go up to janitors vacuuming when we were out and try to take their vacuums. I don't remember that and now hardly ever touch one.

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Count me in on the Lego club. Lego absolutely rocked. When I was young there was only normal Lego and space Lego.

Our Lego space ships would fly from Alpha Base (the lounge room floor) to explore other galaxies (the kitchen, and sometimes the tool shed), there finding strange, gargantuan machinery left behind by lost alien civilizations (such as the toaster). Occasionally one of the unfortunate Lego spacemen would 'accidentally' become trapped in the alien machinery and meet a grisly end - sometimes melted alive in the Gamma Furnace (the oven), sometimes shredded to pieces in the Vortex Creator (the blender), and occasionally dying a horrid death slowly sinking into a giant crater of primordial space-goo (mum's cake mix). Yes, it was mighty dangerous work for Lego spacemen when I was young. So many brave lives lost... :shk:

To the little plastic men who made the ultimate sacrifice for the betterment of all Legokind...I SALUTE YOU!!

[edit on 2005-12-3 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
For me it was the good old matchbox cars. I must have had over a hundred of them and would sit and play with those cars all day long. Ahhh.....the pleasant memories of youth, it kind of brings a tear to my eyes.

Do they even make Match box cars anymore?

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Teenage Mutant ninja turtles, TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES

TEEEENNNAAGGEEE MUUUUTTTANNNNTT NINNNNJAAAAA TURRRRRTTTLESSSS

hero's in a half shell.. TURTLE POWER!

[edit on 3-12-2005 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Dec, 3 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
My favorite toy from my childhood was a hockey stick.

For some reason I loved crushing hotwheel cars in a vice, my parent stopped buying those to me when they found out.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
MICRONAUTS!!! Man, they were the coolest!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
For some reason I loved crushing hotwheel cars in a vice

I'm not alone! I used to love smashing mine up as well, not to destruction, just to give them a lived in feel.

Anyway, to answer the question. Lego. Surely the king of toys?

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Remember those plastic models from Revel? (I think that was the name). On a Saturday, after my household chores; mow the lawn, shovel the drive (sic), I'd get my allowance and I'd head off to the local RexAll drugs -- Joseph's drugs. They had a huge selection of model cars, boats, trucks and, my favorite, "army stuff". American, British, French and, yes, German planes and tanks from WWII.

Before I would look over the models (just in case they had dramatically changed since the previous Saturday), I'd amble over to the soda fountain and get a cherry coke. The soda fountain was right across from the magazine rack so I would sit their sucking back my drink while checking out the new comic book titles. Bliss...

After downing my drink, I'd amble back to the models and select a nice Patton or Tiger tank. I would usually grab a new tube of glue (in those days, they must not have cared about "baby boomer" brain cells). Of course, Mr. Joseph would call me by name and tell me that I should bring the model tank back when it was finished. If it was "good enough", he'd put in the drug store window for a whole week. Let me tell you, that was an honor!

Saturday afternoon would be spent in a sort of daze (must have been the glue) ignoring the instructions (but consulting them often after getting half-way finished) and building an armoured vehicle that Guderian himself would have been proud of riding into battle. But, of course, the "job" wasn't finished until I'd slip those last decals into place but I was already dreaming of seeing my Tiger Ii in Mr. Joseph's drug store window.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Wecomeinpeace

I think I actually have some of the space lego from that series! It was awesome.

Transformers were also a big favourate. I've still got loads of them
from the 80s.

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Transformers were cool. Does anyone remember SLIME? It was like a sort of goo in a cup.

Insult of the day: You're like a slinky - you have no real use, but you're still a lot of fun to push down the stairs.

[edit on 2005-12-4 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
SLIME

Back in the day ... they outlawed it in school. Kids were throwing it and putting it in all sorts of "places".

For those wishing to get a bit nostalgic:

SLIME
Many toy stores sell one form or another of colored Slime. Usually they come in small tubs, are slightly unpleasant-smelling, and are cold and clammy to the touch (apparently because of an endothermic reaction). The recipe below is the exact recipe for commercial Slime, and makes a small, palm-sized amount:

1 fluid ounce of 5% Polyvinyl Alcohol (acid-free art glue) solution (in water)
several milliliters of 4% sodium tetraborate (Borax) solution (in water)
a few drops of food coloring.
Mix the food coloring with the Polyvinyl Alcohol solution. Add one milliliter of the Borax solution and stir like crazy for 2 minutes. Adding more Borax solution will yield thicker slime if desired; nice thick slime can be had with approxiately 4-5 ml of Borax solution per fluid ounce of polyvinyl alcohol solution. Store the slime in a clean, covered container.

Have at it WCIP!

[edit on 12/4/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 4 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My favorite toys were not bought in any store.
I played with sticks, rocks, dirt, sand, water, bugs, frogs, etc... And a healthy imagination.

I may have been a bit different, but I liked to play outside. We built forts and dug in the dirt and played in the snow.

I didn't need batteries to have fun.

[edit on 4/12/2005 by anxietydisorder]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join