It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jakarta: Avian Flu Virus 'All Over City'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Jakarta: Avian Flu Virus 'All Over City'

Fear is spreading. So is the bird flu.
In Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, officials admit that "it's very serious. Based on our research, the virus has spread all over the dity."

In Tien Giang province, a man was taken to the hospital when saying he had a high fever, the AP reports. He was then taken to isolation. However, he said he needed to get some personal belongings back at his home.

He left the hospital and never returned. Before leaving hospital care, he informed the staff that he had become ill after he had slaughtered his bird flu sick poultry.

More than millions of birds have been killed in Indonesia due to the infection.

more...

tic....toc.....tic......toc......tic.....

Only a matter of time...

Does anyone know how much US business travel takes place there???

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
In my company...plenty. In fact, I just spent a month working with one man from China and another from Jakarta.

And I've been sick for 13 days now...
I've decided to make it an even 2 weeks to prove I can whoop it.

lol

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you're sick. Hope day 14 does the trick.

My business too is closely conected with Jakarta...

I'll see if I can find some stats on the numbers of US business travel.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I have a few friends that live in Jakarta, and they swear that our media is overhyping the entire outbreak...to the point that in Indonesia itself, they don't consider it an outbreak at all.

Yes, there have been 7 deaths and around 15 infections, but look at the population itself. That's a jam-packed area there and were it as bad as reported by some media outlets, 70% of the populace would have it...you can barely turn around there without hitting someone in the nose, so disease spreads quickly.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
So, who do we believe???
The media who has lied to us in the past? Drug companies pushing drugs such as tamiflu that are shown not to work?
Or actual people who live in areas struck with a H5N1 "attack"?

If and when this "pandemic" arrive, I think the best bet is to stay home. Hopefully, our governments/utilities will have essential services online and available.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
If and when this "pandemic" arrive, I think the best bet is to stay home. Hopefully, our governments/utilities will have essential services online and available.

I totally agree... Best to plan for that possibility.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bripe Klmun
I have a few friends that live in Jakarta, and they swear that our media is overhyping the entire outbreak...to the point that in Indonesia itself, they don't consider it an outbreak at all.

Exactly what happened in Toronto with regards to the SARS outbreak.

Media was hyping it like it was the end of the world. But for us in the city, it was business as usual, with a little more caution.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Who do we believe?
Who do I believe?

What I believe is that sunny days and rosy pictures sell few magazines and newspapers.

I'll take a flu shot when they get the drop on me and I have no choice. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I'm not saying that there won't be a pandemic, all I am saying is that drama sells.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Well with all the fuss about the bird flu and the victims, I believe is true.

That we can rely on the tamiflu I will not take that thing even if the bird flu knocks my door.

I also was a victim of the flu season this year, lasted 2 weeks and I stayed away from doctors even when the pain in my face and chest would not let me eat.

But hey I beat the thing and now my poor husband is bed ridden.

I will take my chances with whatever blows this way from the other side of the world.

Let's face it we have nothing to fight the bird flu nothing at all so getting into a panic frenzy is not going to make it any easier, just good business for the doctors out there.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Marg, sorry to hear you and your hubby are/were suffering.

You'll be happy to hear that tamiflu doesn't work anyway:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Yes, I read about it, that the tamiflu is not working, I have the feeling that the flu season this year is going to be very bad taking in consideration the symptoms.

Its realy targeting the lungs.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Dont panic, that is what "they" want us to do. My doctor made me get a flu shot (against my will, really) i have been around sick people and have been ok up to now.

I just hope if anyone gets sick in my family its me. I cant be a nurse to people who wont listen and dont even reach for an aspirin by themselves.
I am it. I am the one who has to check on everybody. I hate it

Just do everything you can in your power- lots of hand washing, Zycam and hot tea with honey and the all powerful chicken soup.

Please take care, my friends.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Just do everything you can in your power- lots of hand washing, Zycam and hot tea with honey and the all powerful chicken soup.

Please take care, my friends.

You know I am an advocate of Zycam and so is my daughter taking in consideration that she has to be around so many people everyday, it always work for her and me, but this time with this particular flu it didn't work, she got sick using Zycam and I was already using it when she call me to tell me that she was coming down sick.

It didn't work this time.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Margie, it does work. Use it every 4 hours around the clock (it cant hurt you) and it may not get rid of it but it should diminish the symptoms substantially. I swear by it.

Be safe.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
dg, they are saying it doesn't work for the Avian flu, not the flus we usually see go around.

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
TC, Marg isnt suffering from the "Avian Flu" neither is her husband. They are talking about a flu going around, not to be confused with the killer Avian.

Thank you for interpreting for me anyway
I AM getting old and senile

By the way, TC i saw your picture and you are a handsome devil.

[edit on 5-12-2005 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 5 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I agree that the media does hype the worst. I was in Toronto when SARS was such a big deal. The media showed the measures taken in the hospitals, masks and such. And it drove a lot of business away because the general American population only got to see all the masked hospital doctors and nurses. If they had checked the population of Toronto outside the hospitals, I saw no one wearing a mask. Daily business as usual. The movie industry was so scared Toronto lost millions from them, Tourists stayed away thinking that just setting foot in Toronto was a death sentence. One of the things that has changed lately, and happened even before SARS was that employers were asking employees with the flu, any kind of flu, to go home, and stay home until they were not able to transmit the flu to others. The 'tough it out and make everyone else sick around you' attitude causes so much more lost production hours than anything else. SARS did make the use of hand washing and using hand sanitizing gels in hospitalsand health care facilities mandatory and it has also spread to other businesses as it has been noted to reduce the spread of colds and flu (no I don't have the studies to back this up--just general observation so I hope it is enough). Do what your mom always told you, wash your hands frequently with soap and water (water alone doesn't do the trick), get a good amount of sleep and eat a balanced diet (keeps your immune system working at top efficiency), stay away from others with the cold or flu if you can. Other measures like the hand sanitizing gels are good if you can't wash your hands frequently, and other things that you find help with your metabolism are good too.

new topics

top topics

join