It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've noticed it in the media mostly, they either echo it, or they mix it, so you think there is a "fight". But then the public is screwed once again some how. I just don't like seeing it in public school history and goverment books, that are written by the UN, etc. you know?

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpecAgentDW
I hate to say it but just watch TV to get a glimpse of our future. Amercia will no longer be a superpower in ten years for the simple reason that the youth of today are by and large absolute idiots. Back in the post WWII economic boon era, TV was largely educational or morallisticaly based as were other avenues of entertainment. It was cool to be a scientist or an electrical engineer, and it was people such as that that made us a superpower. Now everyone wants to be on American Idol. No wonder the Chinese laugh at us.

Very well said and I highly agree. The political reasoning behind as why the youth have become this way is they are now nearly incapable of original thought, and have because of this become easily controlled. THis really is a problem for us, I have a 19 year old son and most of these kids today are just ultra-consumers.

Scary future...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It's easy to take the media's perspective on current events, and meld it into your own beliefs, but you have to understand that the media often exaggerates or edits the truth in order to get higher ratings and a larger audience. When the cameramen go into the streets and ask people about their political view points, they take out and delete the footage of people who don't fit their stereotypical image that they are trying to portray for America. Do you actually think that they would show a 17 year old teenager in deep discussion about his political viewpoints on the Bush administration and the war in Iraq? Of course not, at the same time the media would not show a middle-classed white male who didn't know anything about George Bush and his long line of political failures. Showing these would damage the entire media and their stereotypical classifications.

The truth is that teenagers are more aware about their surroundings today than thirty years ago. The information presented to them in high schools is much deeper and students are encouraged to develop their own views about presidents and wars, they are no longer pumped full of one-sided statistics and misguided about their government. C'mon guys, this is the information age, meaning that people old and young have access to millions of debates, forums, discussions, and statistics. Go ahead and talk to someone fifty years and older, and ask them if today's teenagers are smarter than he was when he was a teenager.

I witnessed a heated political debate inside of a high school a week ago, and the students were extremely knowledgeable about every single bill and law passed by past presidents. You may think that kids today are dumber because they are more rebellious and refusing... But rebellion is a sign of intelligence. Teenagers today are opening their eyes to the world around them, and they don't agree with political or social standards. In other words, they want change and reform. This is amazing, because when they become adults, they will be much more politically active and voice their opinions like Americans should. If teenagers were getting "dumber", they would just sit back and nod their heads, agreeing with everything that passed under their noses. Even Benjamin Franklin once said "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing."

By the way guys, I'm 16 years old.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 02:06 AM
link   
how many political (teenage) political science lasses have you sat through?

Abu Ghraib - war is war and these things happen on both sides.

why did you bring up the LAPD beatings? what the hell?

anyways, kids political views shadow their parents or people they look up to. the bush administration has no super secret plan to brainwash students into thinking the "correct" way.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHumana
Just curious, but what political science classes you are talking about? High school, university, and where? I finished just last year, and political science was one of my majors in unversity and I would say that the climate here (a university in south-eastern Florida) is entirely the opposite. You would be very hard pressed to find anyone, faculty included, that "echoes the administration's line" or even supports it. In fact, "no more bussh!t" is one of the most popular bumper stickers in the parking lots. Please let me know where you've experienced the classes you've described, so I know where I should be looking into eventually sending my kids!
I don't mean to flame or start an argument, I'm just shocked to hear about your observation.

and this somehow doesnt surprise me, I am all for having your own opinions but way too often I see college level intructors who could practically just rename their class to 'Intro to communist manifesto'
or something similiar, not that I believe that all the 'hands off' attitude to business and 'if it is named business nothing is unethical' attitudes are correct either.

In fact because most believe in this utopian idea of 'free enterprise' we now face a couple good monopolies i can think of right off the top of my head with way too much influence (walmart, microsoft, etc), companies who asked for american taxpayer bailouts that sold out(Chrysler a.k.a Daimler-chrysler
and who continuously outsource jobs at the continued suffering of americans and a government who will not levy a limit on chinese imports! bush said this would hurt the consumer when US steel asked for a limit on chinese steel imports....If I have heard one valid complaint about bush it is he is into big business way too much.

Now, Im in no way naive enough to think simply voting for the other party will solve the issue either. I would like to hear someone step up and say...

yes, we will have limitations on trade with china...yes, we will drastically tax those companies who outsource labor to the point where the advantage of paying someone 90 cents a day(for halfass labor) would no longer be a very appealing option to businesses.

John Kerry came very close to this point in the debates but he backed off probably afraid of the retribution by corporations(in the form of financing the opponet and pulling his funding). He could of really swung some votes his way if had only had the backbone to do what was best in the long run for americans....yes it would hurt at first, but eventually the advantages and benefits would become clearer.

Damn it! Corporations should NOT dictate American policy!

[edit on 30-1-2006 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Orignally posted by Xphiles Phan
...way too often I see college level intructors who could practically just rename their class to 'Intro to communist manifesto' or something similiar, not that I believe that all the 'hands off' attitude to business and 'if it is named business nothing is unethical' attitudes are correct either.

i attended a conservative ivy, recently, and there was none of this 'communist manifesto' stuff. if anything, the atmosphere on campus was so buttoned- up, and desperately trying not to make any waves that very few people would gave signed up for such a class. they would have been the 'revolutionaries' who had slipped through the cracks during the admissions process, of which there were only a handful.

and i'm glad you're not going along with that 'business as usual' garbage.

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Who are the conspirators that are causing the kids not to buy the crap they have been fed in the academic world for decades, now? I'm missing the connection.

i think i can locate the conspiracy.
its not so much any group of conspirators encouraging students not to buy the liberal party-line, but more of a situation where the students are so afraid to be the odd one out that they purposely avoid adhering to any ideology that would facillitate becoming a social pariah- typical herd mentality.

the conspiracy is an active marketing campaign to turn the american public into sheeple, and it worked. if you notice, even the tone of tv commercials has changed, from simply advertising a product, to actively mocking the actor not 'cool' enough not to be using/eating/drinking it- imo, advertising indicative of a society that forces you to go along with the crowd, for fear of embarrassment.

additionally, and more banal, is the fact that most undergrads just do not have the time to do the research you guys do here, so, while they may be familiar with conspiracy theory X, they haven't seen the evidence and, due to college students' famed 'rationality', they can't susbscribe to it.

[edit on 30-1-2006 by HarlemHottie]

[edit on 30-1-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaCodeMonkey
Walk into most political science classes in this country and you will see a large amount of "sheep".

You've said all I needed to read in one concise sentence. College, political science and sheep. This is and always will be the breeding grounds for ANY radical movement in relation to gevernment. Iran was overthrown by whom? S. Korea, where does most all of the political unrest come from, the colleges. Here in the states, during the Vietnam war, colleges again. It is just as I have always thought, higher education does not mean advancement of intelligence or moral correctness, what it does mean is the young minds are not free to experience life for themselves. Educational institutions (universities and JC) should teach advanced basics, math, grammar, science (physics, chemistryetc), art (music, painting and other PC art) things like this. Then have specialized schools for philosophy, art (the other parts) , political science and other non-PC classes. Just IMO as always.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlueSoldier
The truth is that teenagers are more aware about their surroundings today than thirty years ago. The information presented to them in high schools is much deeper and students are encouraged to develop their own views about presidents and wars, they are no longer pumped full of one-sided statistics and misguided about their government. C'mon guys, this is the information age, meaning that people old and young have access to millions of debates, forums, discussions, and statistics. Go ahead and talk to someone fifty years and older, and ask them if today's teenagers are smarter than he was when he was a teenager.

Thirty years ago, the dumbing down started way before that! Have you ever looked at a highschool final exam from the mid 1800's? Now that was a time whne we were taught to think for ourselves, I am sorry but most kids are not but a bunch of little consumers. Corporate soldiers waiting for the generals at the top to tell them how they should dress and act and what to buy. Peer pressure then makes sure that there are no individuals thinking for themselves.

Sorry but I think its a "Brave New World"

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Teachers today are much more open-minded, and they teach their students to be as well. Now, I'm not saying that there aren't any drones that follow exactly what they're told and believe everything that's spewed at them, but there are also students that are very aware about their country. Just go into an average high school and ask students what they think about the government, you will find many varied answers, similar to those that average adults give.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBlueSoldier
.....You may think that kids today are dumber because they are more rebellious and refusing... But rebellion is a sign of intelligence. Teenagers today are opening their eyes to the world around them, and they don't agree with political or social standards. In other words, they want change and reform. This is amazing, because when they become adults, they will be much more politically active and voice their opinions like Americans should. If teenagers were getting "dumber", they would just sit back and nod their heads, agreeing with everything that passed under their noses. Even Benjamin Franklin once said "A little rebellion now and then is a good thing."

By the way guys, I'm 16 years old.

Cool, you sound very knowleadgeable and well read as well. Your also reading one of my heroes and favorite authors. I agree with you, so that's why I'm trying enocurage BSB fans like yourself to become more insterested in law, politics, history, and some BSB stuff for fun on my websites. U2U if anyone wants to see them.

But I agree it's time for a change, but what change will it be, and will it be the NWO Aldoux Huxley and George Orwell saw or will it be something nothing ever seen in history since "The American Revolution" ? That will soon be the new question in these fourms.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 08:44 PM
link   
OneGodJesus, I know we don't agree on many things, but I've recieved most of Political Science knowleadge from 4 sources: ATS, My book collection, the library, and The History Channel. I was a viewer of ATS for 8 years til last year, and I read many debates on everything from economics to mircomanagement and macromanagment to how missles could cause a "Nuclear Amerageedon", and it may not be a parent's direct developement in a child's reasoning in politics. My mother isn't as into politics as I am, or most of my family for that matter outside of taxes and crime.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbfan1
OneGodJesus, I know we don't agree on many things, but I've recieved most of Political Science knowleadge from 4 sources: ATS, My book collection, the library, and The History Channel. I was a viewer of ATS for 8 years til last year, and I read many debates on everything from economics to mircomanagement and macromanagment to how missles could cause a "Nuclear Amerageedon", and it may not be a parent's direct developement in a child's reasoning in politics. My mother isn't as into politics as I am, or most of my family for that matter outside of taxes and crime.

Well maybe you are the lone exception, dunno. All I can say with certainty is that just because a person has a degree doesn't mean he is intelligent as does having a certification. I read a book on emotional intelligence once that made a great deal of sense to me. Might not to some but I am reading a book right now on a certian kind of psychology that is one that is a rehash of something learned long ago but only applies to about 5-10% of the population. Interesting read. It is called the Devinci method.

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I can see how you have your preception made, I'll have to look it up or see if there is anything on the net about it, since it's a recent release and all. But that's true to, it seems like some college people have no idea what's it's like to be the one in the butcher shop working on meat, the one washing cars, the one providing some of the income for your whole family, that's such small amounts of cash. I think the degree just says of a person, "I can do more than algebra math, and can now boss people around." That's all it means to me, but I know I need it to get anywhere in Ohio.
- I'm a bit stressed.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bsbfan1
I can see how you have your preception made, I'll have to look it up or see if there is anything on the net about it, since it's a recent release and all. But that's true to, it seems like some college people have no idea what's it's like to be the one in the butcher shop working on meat, the one washing cars, the one providing some of the income for your whole family, that's such small amounts of cash. I think the degree just says of a person, "I can do more than algebra math, and can now boss people around." That's all it means to me, but I know I need it to get anywhere in Ohio.
- I'm a bit stressed.

Well if I had a position open to hire I'd take you on. I am in D.C. and not in a position to hire anyone. I can refer some folks if you are a good candidate for a clearance they will hire. They might nave something in that neck of the woods, i'll check. U2U me and I'll get back with you offline.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Going back to the whole colleges thing, I think more of an emphasis needs to be put on the teachings of mathematics and sciences in this country.
The US consistently scores below our global marketplace competitors such as India, China and Japan in these regions of education.
While more and more of our youth are more "open" as far as idealogy goes (unfortunately most of it is left over Communist rhetoric from the anti-establishment revolution of the 70's) those same youth are woefully inept at the things needed to keep this country in the race.
If we keep going where we're going, America will no longer be a global power in three generations, we will be a third world nation. And all those who think that will be wonderfull, you're ill informed.
Lack of wealth and prosperity brings about turmoil and ultimately totalitarian rule. The vast majority of poor nations are ruled by despots as the masses seek anyway to get out of the hole they find themselves in, much like Nazi Germany did in the early thrities.

posted on Feb, 4 2006 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm flattered by your compliment OGJ, thank you. I'll U2U later tonight. But I agree, they did(in my high school and community college) give us mathmatics that were hard for some people in the class, usually in the buttom forth of the class to grasp. They had wrong problems in textbooks, badly written textbooks, and these were at the some of the BEST PUBLIC SCHOOL in Ohio!

Also, the teachers, had a stressed interest(they wanted to make the money, because they wanted to get out or move on with another degree.), or they did really care about us. I took an Accounting, Personal Finance, Business Management, and Business Law Classes. The only problem I had at all in them was the math, otherwise, easy as cake, and the teachers in all, ACTUALLY CARED.

But since the majority of the education system in the US, is mostly controlled by the Teacher's Union and the Goverment. They fail to teach will as Private schools and Charter schools, and there is no competiton either.

Howabout, pay $50 a month for you kid to attend a private school or a certain public school, and levy taxes so more money can be spent on fixes roads, better textbooks that work for both Humanistic type Students(they can't understand it unless you make it pratical and apply it to Philosphy or History, like an Ages of Empire-Alegbra Class.), and then Science Students, like mine was when I went, and then take it from there, so that when all the students are tested not only are thier interests considered, but they will also be able to understand the materials and curriculium from there.

Combining everything like they use to take it 2 centuries ago in schools, but make it more applicatable to the student, and have the teachers check the students, or have an Honor Student help with classes like these to, to help with other elective class and College Credits. But those are just my ideas.

posted on May, 21 2006 @ 02:50 AM
link   
In response to Americas Youth -

Yep. Same thing happened in my generation - (Gen X). The majority of my counterparts in High School were more involved in their particular social circles and interests than the issues in the world at large.

Some people just aren't ready to assimilate certain realities at that age.

The modern landscape affords even more distractions than before - cell phones, video games, the internet...

It's just a sign of of how this nation is "progressing" towards it's ultimate end - a nation comprised of obiedient and benign consumer sheep.

Those of us with higher interest in deeper subjects will eventually have to learn how to filter out the incoming sensory bombardment to avoid going crazy by all the control intitatives directed at the rest of the population.

It's sad, but there's only so much room at the top.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join