It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

timetable for war in iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
George Bush yesterday staked his presidency on winning a "complete victory" in Iraq, rejecting a timetable for withdrawal and setting a high bar for military success.
In a speech to the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, the president claimed substantial progress in training Iraqi forces, offering the prospect of US redeployment outside Iraq's lethal cities and eventual force reductions.

But Mr Bush made it clear that there could be no wholesale withdrawal before the insurgency was comprehensively defeated and stability was restored to Iraq.

-Julian Borger
in Washington December 1, 2005

in other words its going to be a long time before our troops come home. president bush said it " it will be driven by the conditions on the ground and the good judgement of our commanders, not by artificial timetables se by politicians in Washington" Get ready for the long haul resistant seems to have been pretty steady and i think he meant to say "by the good judgement of our commander-in-cheif"

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I don't get this administration, just the other day they said that they will start pulling out troops next year and now they are saying they have no plan again. I wish they would all shoot themselves in the head so we can get on with this mess and get our troops out. If they can't make up their minds or draw up some simple plan any tard could then they need to step aside and let the real men handle the situation.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I was one of the people against the War in Iraq, for moral reasons. I still believe in turning the other cheek (by the way, I'm a veteran of the U.S. Navy). The night before the invasion, I got into an argument with my girlfriend's father (Army vet) about the fact that it could be a long war that could result in the draft being reinstated. He insisted that it would be quick and easy and that, "All you damn liberals always take that line".

Well, now that we are in it, I have to agree that it's too late to pull out. While I have no love for Bush, I feel that what he said the other day essentially was correct. Once you start something like this, you can't quit just because it's getting hard. It would be like having an intervention for a friend with a substance abuse problem then, after they've left rehab and are trying to get back on their own two feet, you say, "That's it for me...you're on your own now" just when they need you most. Chances are, that person is going to turn back to the abuse.

Like I said, I don't think we should have gone in in the first place, regardless of the reason, however, I think it would be just as big a mistake to leave early.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
DogWasCat

i do agree. it is to late to pull out. i just have this suspicion other motives have factored into how long bush anticipates being there. the reason i have this suspicion is his inability to give us a clear cut justifiable reason for invading in the first place. i relize sadam was a terrible tyrant and that country needed a change but why is it that it always becomes the US's problem

new topics

top topics

join