It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katrina Victims Caught in Insurance Nightmare

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
One of the many gems I never got round to posting. It's important, IMO:

Katrina victims caught in insurance nightmare

Silvia I. Cosenza, who lived in Gretna, La., until Hurricane Katrina roared through, says she's been caught in an insurance nightmare: Her flood claim denied because an insurance adjuster ruled that her neighborhood was not flooded. ...That came as a surprise to Melmary Matheny, who lives across the street and has already received partial payment on her flood claim and has been told to expect another check soon.

What's the difference? Beyond the fact that different insurance companies handled the claims, neither knows.

"For sure, she flooded as much as we did," Matheny said. "Our whole entire neighborhood flooded." ...As the insurance industry grapples with its largest-ever loss and a record number of individual claims -- 1.6 million from Katrina, another 1 million from hurricanes Rita and Wilma -- policyholders are learning that the opportunity to get their lives back in order often depends on which company is processing the claim. In many cases, homeowners living in areas that were equally flooded have had drastically different experiences.

Particularly puzzling to some homeowners is that all flood claims are ultimately paid by the federal government's National Flood Insurance Program, which is operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

This needs some research by people on the spot I think - like what's separating the denied from the accepted? Is it racial, economic? What?

[edit on 2-12-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 10 2006 @ 03:03 AM
link   
ya i konw where you are comming from.

I live in St benard and have allstate. I had home owners and (with the lessons os betsy) 250 grand on flood. even thought my house was completly destroyed by trees i was not able to get the pay out on home owners. Also my flood only got me 120 grand. this will not pay to simply gut and repair the house which is really only worth 90 grand.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waterlogged
ya i konw where you are comming from.

I live in St benard and have allstate. I had home owners and (with the lessons os betsy) 250 grand on flood. even thought my house was completly destroyed by trees i was not able to get the pay out on home owners. Also my flood only got me 120 grand. this will not pay to simply gut and repair the house which is really only worth 90 grand.

Why did they not pay the limit? ...Did they give you a reason, or just hold up the check and suck you into settling?

Thnx

new topics

join