It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey neighbor...turn off the Cyclotron, OK?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Ok, THIS is pretty wild. Imagine if it drains the power heavily or causes other problems. Would you be cool with this from your neighbor?

Albert Swank Jr., a 55-year-old civil engineer in Anchorage, Alaska, is a man with a mission. He wants to install a nuclear particle accelerator in his home.

But when neighbors learned of plans to place the 20-ton device inside the house where Swank operates his engineering firm, their response was swift: Not in my backyard.

Local lawmakers rushed to introduce emergency legislation banning the use of cyclotrons in home businesses. State health officials took similar steps, and have suspended Swank's permit to operate cyclotrons on his property.

The Cyclotron Comes to the 'Hood

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's too bad the guy can't have his Cyclotron. His motives seem honorable.

"My father worked with me while I was building my first cyclotron at age 17 in this same home, and he encouraged all of the educational pursuits that resulted in who I am," Swank said.

"Because of that and my desire to not see other cancer patients suffer -- if I can use this technology to prevent one hour of suffering, or stimulate one young person's mind to pursue science, I will devote every resource that I possess to that."

Swank maintains the device is not dangerous for nearby residents.

I hope something is worked out for him.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I'm not really sure what the concern is here. People are more worried that the cyclotron could have a catastrophic failure in their backyard, but the risk is acceptable in a hospital housing hundreds, if not thousands, of sick folks? This quote from the article,

In a letter to the city assembly, the South Addition Community Council compared potential damage from a cyclotron mishap to the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor accident.

if true, means I have to get the heck out of the chicagoland area. Why? Well, because the cyclotron Swank is going to get is 8 feet. I live near a 4 mile cyclotron (Firmilab).

This sounds like a lot of fear over the word nuclear without any knowledge of what really could happen or what actually takes place in a cyclotron.

What would I say to having a cyclotron in my backyard? Cool, have a blast.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
What would I say to having a cyclotron in my backyard? Cool, have a blast.

Yeah...I would be cool with it myself. I don't think there is much to fear, but remember that Alaska is the place that wanted a bridge worth millions build to a village island.

I think it's the lack of sun in the winter up there.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It is quite simple: It is not their backyard. His property not theirs. Keep you hands, feet, and objects off of others'. C'mon, we had this repeated to us in kindergarten about respecting ones property.

Maybe Alaska is turning into a Kansas; pretty soon there will be new a devine particle acceleration theory in school textbooks. Blahness.

new topics

join