It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Deleting Negative Reviews Of Sheehan's Book (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The new book by Cindy Sheehan, Not One More Mother's Child, has received many reviews on Amazon.com, the internet's leading book seller. It appears, however, that Amazon has been deleting reviews by people who do not like the book. A review made on November 20, 2005 states, "I was appalled at the shallow, stupid, predictable, and libelous slop written by the first several reviewers of this book." However, there are only four reviews before that was made, and all four of them have 5 star reviews.

gopandcollege.blogspot.com
This is a review from J. L. Larsen dated November 20th, 2005
"I was appalled at the shallow, stupid, predictable, and libelous slop written by the first several reviewers of this book. They certainly have all of the right wing talking points down; after all, their only 'defense' is to smear those who disagree with them. They can't argue on the facts, they aren't open to any type of reasonable discussion. They just regurgitate more Bush lies. Quit attacking Ms. Sheehan and other patriotic Americans who are questioning this war of lies and talk about the issues."

HOWEVER, as you can see, all the "FIRST" entries were 5 star entries, supporting the book. The "first 1 star review" was not until Nov. 29th written by L. White saying,
"I think we've all watched enough news coverage to have witnessed Cindy Sheehan's transformation from grieving mother to tool of leftist groups. It is a shame that so many people have no problem with this poor woman being taken advantage of by people for their own interests. They provide her with PR people who don't have her best interest in mind and have no problem with ordinary Americans coming to see her as less of a grieving mother and more of an unstable radical. Even sadder is how Amazon removes any poor reviews and leaves up reviews by people stating they haven't even read the book."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Clearly this appears to be an effort by Amazon to keep the rating of Sheehan's book as high as possible. One could claim that Amazon deleted the stories because the reviewers appeared to have not read the book and were just being political.

However, one review, titled "Look out Cindy. The Freepers are here." and posted on, November 28, 2005, states flat out by the reviewer that they're giving it 5 stars to negate the 1 star reviews with no information about the book at all. That review, 4 days later, is still there. The first review available today, made by "Jed" on December 2, 2005, reposts the review he made that has been deleted. Jed actually addresses elements of the book in his reposted review. Amazon deleted that review while ignoring the Look Out Cindy review.

Related News Links:
www.amazon.com

[edit on 12-2-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Does anyone remember something very similar happening back when Clinton's book came out?
Sounds like Amazon has an agenda.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
While it is true that the primary source for this article is a right-wing blog, the secondary source is Amazon.com itself. If you go to the actual reviews quoted in both articles, you will discover the actual reviews do exist on Amazon. Look at the original before dismissing the story because you don't like who was reporting it.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Alot of those "reviews" simply bashed the author, without any mention of the book. They should be in their right to remove a comment if it is Off-Topic.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Then how do you account for the reviewers who bashed the other reviewers who gave low ratings to the book still being there? As was stated in the article, "A Kid's Review" just bashed the other reviewers and didn't contribute to the book at all. Yet, it's still there. This is the review in its entirety:

Look at all the one-star reviews (not that they bothered to read the book) and vicious attacks on a war mom. Right wingers are real tough guys.

I give it 5 just to negate the Freepers in action. They'll spend time to give a negative book review. I wonder if they bothered to devote half as much time to supporting our troops with letters/packages, etc.

Who am I kidding? They didn't.

Somehow, 95 people found that review helpful, too.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I wouldn't be so quick to blame Amazon. Sheehan's story is a political hotbed and you know how many people want to have their say about her. People are just using Amazon for their political pulpit.

Amazon Issues

But, like anything else, there's a dark side to the open nature of online reviews, and when the following messages from two of my favorite authors arrived in my mailbox, I asked them if I could republish their notes. They said yes, so here's what Robert Bruce Thompson shared:

Looks like someone is targeting the Sheehan-haters.
I'm sure it will get resolved. Probably by Amazon changing their policy of open reviews.

Be advised that somebody is using this page to target virus attacks against anyone who has written a negative review -- which, appearances to the contrary, is several hundred people by now.

(...)(some upstanding, tolerant lefty, no doubt) with the header "Invitation to be an Amazon Friend" appears in your inbox(this may differ from case to case, of course) praising your review and asking you to click a link. Needless to say, don't do it. Delete the sucker.

The Amazon staff has had this information since noon today and has done nothing about it. I'm sure I can't imagine why.

And by the way, the book is trash. God bless America!

Sheehan's Review Page

[edit on 2-12-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Amazon would be better served to limit its review of this book to professional reviewers and leave the consumers out of it, since any nincompoop can write anything one way or the other and because this book is so politically charged there is much incentive to do so. Otherwise, Amazon is a private site and they can do as they wish and moreover, no one is going to buy Sheehan's book based on consumer reviews. This is a non-story.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Then why are they being deleted, if they don't matter?

The star reviews of all of Amazon products you see when searching for them come from the user reviews. You don't think that influences people's willingness to buy something?

Benevolent Heretic, your quote of a review only states that someone is going after the negative reviewer's via the links to their email addresses. That still doesn't account for how the actual reviews are being deleted. It just shows that others are attacking people who don't agree with Sheehan or think the book is fantastic on other levels as well.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I agree with Grady and his post above, in every respect except one.

I don't think it makes any sense to limit reviews to professionals. I don't care who reviews the book because I don't read reviews, and I certainly don't buy books because of reviews, and I generally find reviews to be tick-like and uninspiring in every way. There certainly isn't any art in it.

So basically I don't care if Amazon reviews the books themselves, has consumers do the reviewing, or limits the feedack to only professional writers. They can, and should, do whatever makes them happy. It's not going to effect my book buying behaviors one way or another.

Cindy herself is a non-story as far as I'm concerned. So she's hawking a book now? How predictable does predictable get? I think the whole affair is shameful, sick, voyeuristic, sadistic, and base in every way. Cindy's story is a freak show, and the American people interested in it are gawkers. The media plays the role of carnie operator, taking advantage of everyone for a profit.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
When I said that Amazon should just delete all the consumer reviews, I was speaking only of this book and any such product that elicits so little objectivity. Amazon has no real way of knowing who writes what and why and they could quell this controversy by just deleting them all. But, in reality, I don't care.

I read a lot of consumer reviews on a lot of products and I have to say that they are only of limited value, regardless of the product. They are important to my decision making process, but you really have to take them with a sack of rock salt.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
JungleJake -

You're right. I don't know how they were deleted. Maybe someone who works at Amazon. But just like Cheney's X-gate, I think we don't know enough to say that Amazon as a corporation is behind this. Public access and hackers leave too much for other possibilities.

BTW, I won't buy from Amazon because they ship jobs overseas, so I'm not supporting them because I like them or anything.
I'm just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Personally I'm against censorship and I think the only limits that should be put on the reviews are that you should at least read the book before posting a review and you should refrain from vulgarity.

But what happened to the conservative line of "they're a private corporation, they can do what they want"? I guess that only applies to oil companies and defense contractors...

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

But what happened to the conservative line of "they're a private corporation, they can do what they want"?

Well as much as I like to torment our local neocons, Grady did say:

Otherwise, Amazon is a private site and they can do as they wish

It's possible that the deleted "reviews" were just diatrabes against Sheehan and not actually reviews of the book, which would explain their deletion.

[edit on 12/2/05 by xmotex]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
They are a private institution, and they have a right to delete reviews they don't politically support. Guess what, though? That doesn't mean they have the right to do it where no one can say anything. Do I think the government should step in on this? Heck no! Do I think people should be aware of this practice taking place? Yes, yes I do.

xmotex, one of the deleted and redeleted reviews talks about the content of the book. As I've pointed out a couple of times, there are reviews that just bash those who didn't like the book that are still there, and there are reviews that don't talk about the book at all, but say they want to raise the rating of the book because they like Sheehan.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If you are into reading a poorly-written, hate-filled, unfocused rant from a bitter, insane, uneducated woman, then by all means, pick up this book. Don't expect to hear any truth from it, though.

Sheehan needs to get it through her thick skull; she doesn't speak for us. I am an active duty technical sergeant in the US Air Force, and I'm here to tell you that the men and women of the Armed Forces are just that: men and women. We're not boys and girls, and we don't need some mongrel idiot like her trying to present her own crazed views as if they were ours. We're in Iraq to do a good, worthy and noble job.

Casey Sheehan did his duty, and I honor him for making the ultimate sacrifice. Here's hoping that he is completely oblivious to what his disgraceful mother is doing in his name.

Just wanted to post this review before Demozon.com pulls it as violating T&C's.

Now there is proof that this was written.

- One Man Short ®

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Clearly this appears to be an effort by Amazon to keep the rating of Sheehan's book as high as possible.

Actually, Amazon will often remove reviews for books, this is certainly not the first time, and I very much doubt its a conspiracy on the part of 'liberals within amazon' to make sheehan's book sell for more. THey're remove reviews for all sorts of reasons, usually based on complaints from other people. People probably read the harsh reviews, and complained. Heck, sheehan might've complained too.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
There's another aspect to consider in this. Obviously, Sheehan's book is politically charged, and something like this story will grab the attention of, in this case, opponents to Sheehan.

Perhaps this is deeper, though. Could Amazon be deleting low reviews of the products they sell so as to increase sales. The average user rating is available on the initial listing of products after doing a search. Seeing a higher rating may inspire some to purchase a product they may not have wanted to.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I bet liberals leave some choice remarks about conservative books and writers like Ann Coulter.

Do they engage in the same type of review censorship there?

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Nope:

"Just terrible, Ann has no idea what she is talking about and the book is full of lies and errors. Why are people pushing hate for political gain?"

That's the entire review, and it's over a month old. Here's a link to the one star reviews of Colter's book:

link

[edit on 12-2-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This is interesting. Regarding Ann Coulter's book, on the Amazon page, at the top it says:

3 stars, 269 customer reviews (link)

Down under the book, it says:

Customer reviews 3 stars
Number of reviews 603 (no link, no way to get to these)

I went to the link for the 269 reviews and they're ALL one star reviews. All 269 of them!

So it would appear that while Amazon takes all reviews, whoever is deciding which ones to print is decidedly printing only the 'liberal' ones.

new topics

top topics

join