Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 50
<< 47  48  49    51  52 >>

join

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Football - proper football played with the feet - is a game of skill in which tactical and strategic considerations are fluid and change in the blink of an eye.

American "football" is a game for thugs who need to stop every 90 seconds to catch their breath and collect their thoughts.

Actually celebrating the inherent violence is borderline psychotic, but to be expected from a nation so dedicated to winning at all costs. As your country descends further and further into barbarism I fully expect to see public executions televised, perhaps at half-time in the Superbowl... perhaps the opposing teams could charge at the victim, helmets down, until he's a bloody pulp. And then perhaps the cheerleaders of opposing teams could wrestle each other in the slippery gore. Would that satisfy your bloodlust? Do you not have enough REAL wars that you have to bring the same considerations onto a sporting field? It's frankly bizarre and psychotic.

And Dr Love, the reason you find soccer dull is because the subtleties are way over your head. Also, your attention span finds a full 45 minute half WAY too taxing and you need breaks thrown in so you can look at some soothing adverts.

Any game that they had to change the rules to suit advertisers is no longer about sport.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Oh dear. Started reading this only just now... didn't get to the end... wanted to wind up the jingoistic Dr Love and now there's only soccer people left.

And I'm not even THAT big a fan. I just hate that 'best game in the world' crap. From ANYONE.

Oh well... enjoy...

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I just know that the rest of the world doenst bother with American football... its like rugby, for sissies. I mean, come on... what do you need all that armor for? Take it like a man. Get bloody... get some scars... you want to take a man down... do it, knowing hes going to regret getting back up!

Now theyre even putting more shock absorbing technology into the helmets... COME ON! Rediculous. You dont want to get hurt? Dont play. Go home and play catch with your children.

Rugby and REAL Football are mens games. American football is boring... its continuous stop and go... more stop than go... and they whine like children when they twist an ankle... oh no... I got injured running at a 250 pound man, I didnt expect that for one minute... SUCK IT UP!

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Hello Self destructive Earth people.

We cannot understand this pointless discussion. We have observed the strange combative sports you simple mammals seem to enjoy.

On the small landmass refered to as England they play a stupid game involving twenty two profusely perspiring males who chase what appears to be an inflated bladder spherical in shape.

On the larger continent named A merica (strange to name a land after a Pheborian Bordello District) they have a similar game which seems to require that an eliptical bladder has to be taken to a white line.

What concerns us it that in the England game to carry the bladder is not accepted unless you are the Keeper of the netted orifice. If one of the males attempts to carry the spherical bladder the other participants stop the game as some kind of protestation.

In the land you call A merica it seems that the bladder is carried much of the time and only kicked if it is dropped by the male trying to carry it to a white line.

In England the intention is to propel the bladder forward with a lower limb extremity known as a foot. We suspect that this is why this strange game is called football.

May we suggest that for the sake of peaceful exchange and communication that those wishing to chase an eliptoid bladder change the name of the game to:

"Hand Bladder" which will assist you simple intellectually inferior bipeds to communicate more freely with a common understanding.

We offer this to you in the hope that this will postpone you launching Nuclear Missiles at each other to settle your petty dispute.

Thank you

........Communication ends............

[edit on 17-4-2006 by Pleiadian Recon]

posted on Apr, 17 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr LoveWhen our guys get hurt it's because some guy cracked them upside the head for being man enough to go over the middle, not because some little girl tripped them. "Wankball"???? Tripping is for wankers.

oh, well in RUGBY (similar to soccer and unlike football) there is no padding all over your body...

hows that for wankball? ...okay i'm not serious at all. But come on?

posted on May, 17 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Tonight
Uefa champions league final
Arsenal VS Barcelona
Something nice to wach, now that is something, I belive the whole world is waching.

posted on May, 19 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
Tonight
Uefa champions league final
Arsenal VS Barcelona
Something nice to wach, now that is something, I belive the whole world is waching.

I think you are spending 2 much time text messaging m8. 2nite I wan2 show you how to write proper. 2moro you can show the class. Xlnt!

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seawater999
oh, well in RUGBY (similar to soccer and unlike football) there is no padding all over your body...

hows that for wankball? ...okay i'm not serious at all. But come on?

Long time lurker here who recently decided to join up...

I have followed this thread for a while now. As a fan of both games (football and soccer), I'd have to give the edge to football. It;s just such a more complicated and physicaly demanding game.

Someone said it before, but the physical punishment you take in football is unlike any other sport. More so, the team - above all else - will triumph. In soccer a fluke goal will win a game, or a star like ROnaldinho or Ronney will take over for 6 seconds and win the game.

Fotball is just so much more complicated then any other sport. I won't say better (to each his own), but the physical and mental demands are beyond any other sport.

In any case, I figured some of you Rugby fans might like this and/or have some comments. I don't follow the sport, so any thoughts on this guy would be apreciated...

BTW, the artical comes from FoxSport.com.au
It was posted on another MB without a link, and the web page is down now...

Because of a character limit, I'll put this artical in my next post:

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Alex left college]

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Mason wants to follow NFL dream
By James Hooper
June 9, 2006

WILLIE Mason has always been a showman. The bigger the occasion, the greater the challenge, the better the New South Wales Origin enforcer performs.

Mason: Cauldron holds no fear

But Mason boldly underlined the greatest challenge in his elite sporting career last night, revealing a desire to feature on the biggest stage in US sport: the National Football League.

MainGame can reveal that Mason's management team has sent a video highlights tape including footage of the forwards' devastating try in Origin I to numerous NFL teams.

Despite having inked a four-year deal with the Bulldogs until the end of 2009 last year, Mason is prepared to consider walking away from the Belmore club.

Six NFL clubs - Oakland Raiders, San Fransisco 49ers, New York Jets, New York Giants, Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers - are expected to hold talks with Mason's agent, Greg Keenan, in the US over the next fortnight.

And the last Australian export to star in the NFL's front line, Colin Scotts, has predicted Mason's essential combination of size, power, speed, balance and willingness is the perfect recipe for success in American football.

But for Mason, the reasoning is much simpler.

The challenge of cutting it in the multi-million-dollar elite echelon of US professional sport, where 130 million people watch the Super Bowl each year, is what dazzles.

"It would be an unbelievable challenge and it would be a massive stage like nothing I've ever experienced," Mason said.

"I've always wondered when I've watched the NFL if I was born in the States how good I'd go at it.

"There'd be heaps to learn, but for me that's half the challenge, I just reckon the whole experience would be awesome."

Former St Louis Cardinals defensive end Scotts has volunteered to assist Mason by helping to open doors to some of the NFL's top teams.

Scotts has earmarked the position of offensive right tackle as perfect, meaning Mason would stand in the front line of defence for the team holding the ball and protect the quarterback, running backs and wide receivers.

"Willie is super quick for a big man and, in terms of balance, he's got beautiful co-ordination for a man of his size," Scotts said.

"He's also got those huge long arms that scouts look for in the NFL, big hands to go with them and from the look of his statistics he's a powerful man.

"I know a good friend of mine in Hawaii who knows every NFL team so he can open up doors for him to get in somewhere.

"I'd be fascinated to see another Aussie get over there and have a go and Willie Mason has got that tough temperament to make a fist of it.

"Welcome to the most intense, competitive, complex game in the world; Willie is still young enough, so why not have a go?"

MainGame understands Raiders head of professional recruitment Ed Dodds was immediately impressed when informed of Mason's statistics.

"He's how big? And he runs that quick. Yeah, of course we'd be interested in having a look at him," Dodds said.

And Jets Director of Professional Scouting Brendon Prophett responded: "Wow. I bet he could run over a few cats."

The dossier on Mason reads: running 20m in 2.76sec, 40m in 4.89sec; bench pressing 170kg for one repetition and leg squatting 220kg.

Mason's agent Keenan denied arranging meetings with NFL clubs in the next fortnight, but MainGame understands they have been scheduled.

"I'll be in the US on business in the next fortnight but I'm not going to say what sort of business I'm there on," Keenan said.

If Mason opted to depart the Bulldogs kennel, it would mean severing the final three seasons of a $1.6 million contract.

Again, because of character limits, continued on next post...

posted on Jun, 9 2006 @ 02:38 AM
link   

While it would hurt leaving the teammates with whom he won a premiership in 2004, and the club to which he has shown tremendous loyalty for the past seven seasons, it's a sacrifice Mason is willing to make.

Again, the reasoning is simple. In terms of rugby league milestones there is little left for Mason to conquer;

HE collected the Clive Churchill medal as the best player on the field in the Bulldogs' 2004 premiership triumph over Sydney Roosters.

HE has played 17 Tests for Australia since debuting for the Kangaroos in 2002.

HE has made five Origin appearances, collecting man-of-the-match honours in Origin I this year.
Mason has nominated Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens as his favourite NFL player, saying: "He's the guy in the NFL I reckon rocks."

In the NFL, each team has a salary cap of $102 million to spend on playing talent per year - more than 25 times the $4 million beneath which NRL teams must balance their 25 top-line players next season.

Five Australians have previously qualified to star in the NFL: Scotts, Darren Bennett, Ben Graham, Mat McBriar and Colin Ridgeway.

But only Scotts graduated for the rough and tumble arena of the NFL front line, making it as a defensive end and defensive tackle for St Louis Cardinals, Phoenix Cardinals and Houston Oilers after being drafted from the University of Hawaii in 1987.

The other Australian exports used AFL backgrounds to make it as punters, whose job is just to kick the ball.

Despite Scott's glowing endorsement of Mason, the last rugby league forward to try his luck on an American football scholarship was cautious about the daring switch of codes.

Retired Kangaroos, NSW and Balmain Tigers forward Paul Sironen, who won a scholarship to the University of Hawaii in 1984, believes Mason has a huge mountain in front of him, but by no means an impossible one.

"Getting into a whole new code of football, it obviously looks exciting and lucrative with all the hype surrounding it but it's a lot of learning too," Sironen said.

"Tight end is a pretty good position and Willie would have all the skills to handle that - but the hardest part would be the learning curve.

"It's a pretty hard learning curve, it would take him at least 12 months to get a handle on things and fit in with it."

In seven years in the NRL, Willie Mason has distinguished himself as a special talent.

If ever there was a player suited to the brash, flash, showmanship of American football, Mason is the man. Bring on the bling.

Sounds like a quite the player. I have to wonder if this guy knows what he is getting himself into though. Football isn't a "natural" game, particularly for lineman. It's a game that takes a lot of time to really understand and be able to play at a high level. He'll be asked to memorize a play book of nearly a hundred pages in all likely hood... And each play will have several "check downs" (for non-Americans, basically several very different ways the play can be executed).

From the artical, it claims he would play right offensive tackle. That normally involves a 320 pound (145 kilo) man who can dominate his man one on one and drive him back, but generally doesn't require a ton of athleticism or footwork (that is usually the left tackle who protects the quarterbacks blind side in pass protection and does most of his work on the retreat). More of a brute force kinda guy then an athlete.

Again, I'd really love to hear some comments on this guy if any one knows of him. The guy who posted this artical on a football MB didn't offer any opinions unfortunately (he was from Australia).

BTW, for the sake of discourse, I found this telling:

"Welcome to the most intense, competitive, complex game in the world; Willie is still young enough, so why not have a go?"

[edit on 9-6-2006 by Alex left college]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Im a fan of both sports. Now US and Canadian football are much more methodical than free flowing Soccer. Luck is bigger in soccer than our football. Strategy is what I love about football and the Will will usually prevail over the skill most times. Plan and Execution must be perfect and balanced.

In soccer, I see artistic beauty, on the fly quick decision making, and the team with most finesse wins. Craftmanship is not strategy but still very intriguing. Perhaps my european father influenced soccer on me, but very easy to appreciate if americans would look into and follow a league so they can get their drama. Americans want stats. Not goals, assists and clean sheets.

By the way rugby fans, the helmets and pads in our football are used for weapons. Not for protection. And a guy like Ladanian Tomlinson would wrap circles around rugby players if given 4 yards to get moving in space. No one 240 -270 Lbs or more outside of the National Football League in America can run a 40 yard dash in 4.3 seconds. Cutting ability and pure human bio athletic output is more advanced in the NFL than both Soccer and Rugby put together.

Like I said, I follow both sports. Im a big Chelsea fan and AC Milan fan. I also watch rugby enough to understand it. Ive played soccer as a kid too.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
There is one thing that the Canadian Football League has over the National Football League. That is the playing field for the CFL is longer on both ends compared to the regulation size NFL field.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Man... Sorry to hear about your Steelers there Gimme! Now I just need to get my Pack back!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
You guys think you got problems?! Try being a Texans fan right about now. Our inept management passed up on two 'once in a decade' type players, Vince Young and Reggie Bush, and drafted a huge disappointment, Mario Williams. Our team has been setback for years because of it. I hope and pray that we can draft Adrian Peterson this year and at least stop some of the bleeding.

We're the laughing stock of the NFL right now.

Peace

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
We're the laughing stock of the NFL right now.

OK... You have us both beat and we are not laughing at you... I swear!!!

My only hope for the Packers this year... Beat them Bears and the season is a success!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   

By the way rugby fans, the helmets and pads in our football are used for weapons. Not for protection. And a guy like Ladanian Tomlinson would wrap circles around rugby players if given 4 yards to get moving in space. No one 240 -270 Lbs or more outside of the National Football League in America can run a 40 yard dash in 4.3 seconds. Cutting ability and pure human bio athletic output is more advanced in the NFL than both Soccer and Rugby put together.

Emphasis mine.

Thats crap. There are plenty of Rugby players who weigh 16-18 stones who can do 100 meteres in 10-11 seconds.

Jonah Lomu in his day was 19 1/2 stone and could give an Olympic sprinter a run for their money, I believe he clocked the 100 metres in 10.8 seconds, making your "40 yard dash" look rather paultry.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Both are great sports.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Emphasis mine.

Thats crap. There are plenty of Rugby players who weigh 16-18 stones who can do 100 meteres in 10-11 seconds.

Jonah Lomu in his day was 19 1/2 stone and could give an Olympic sprinter a run for their money, I believe he clocked the 100 metres in 10.8 seconds, making your "40 yard dash" look rather paultry.

Yea well, I agree Rugby is tough yes, but the talent in our Football is spread out. Parity is great for the league. Talent is everywhere, there are players who can also cut a 90 degree in route while running full speed . Rugby players are big and tough yes, no pads actually protects the players not make them injury prone. In the NFL, pads and helmets give players incentives to headbutt players while sprinting 20 yards. You can name all the fast guys in rugby history you want, but im a fan of the New York Jets and our Punter is a guy named Ben Graham who played Aussie rules football. He even said that the National Football League is as tough as it gets.

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I like what Al Michaels said about the Texans on Sunday Nite's game with the COwboys and the Saints. The Texans after the 2006 Draft had to be saying to themselves, "What the hell were we thinking?"

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Yeah, I saw that. The only good thing that came out of that entire day was watching the Cowboys get smashed.

I think if the Texans can get Peterson and Troy Smith in the draft we'll be alright.

Peace

top topics

<< 47  48  49    51  52 >>

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def