It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'll go you soccer hooligans one better, we probably have the best soccer player in the world playing here in America and his name is Freddy Adu. Eventually we'll get all the best soccer players in the world playing over here in the states and then we'll change the game and add some flavor and toughness to it.

Maybe we'll even give them some sissy armor so they can play no holds barred.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'll go you soccer hooligans one better, we probably have the best soccer player in the world playing here in America and his name is Freddy Adu. Eventually we'll get all the best soccer players in the world playing over here in the states and then we'll change the game and add some flavor and toughness to it.

Peace

It is slowly happening already... If the U.S. team continues to improve like it has in the past 10 years. More and more people will start watching it. With more interest comes more money. With more money comes... uh oh... The better players. With better players comes... MORE MONEY!!!

Soccer does need some more toughness in it... Thats my humble opinion.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Soccer is popular in 3rd world countries because they can afford to play it competitively. Sure.. all you need is a ball and a field to play football. But if you were to compete on a global level you need the proper equipment. Something that poorer countries can't afford.

Agreed with most of your post but dont quite follow this one quoted above. Brazil has 4 world cups and Uruguay 2, I wouldnt consider either nation 3rd world but they both have serious problems with poverty. Plenty of thirld world African Nations complete on a global level.

The football (soccer) used to be a very poopular sport in America at the turn of the century. Dont have the exact facts on this but I saw it in the history of soccer DVD box set: An American politician denouced soccer as communist in in the 1930's I think. This had a far-reaching effect, killing off the sprt to a large degree. Will have to re-watch my DVD to get some more facts.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Soccer is still popular in the US... A lot of mothers want their kids to play sports but don't want them to get hurt. Hmmm... what's that leave?

Soccer... Baseball (which is probably more dangerous then soccer)... and basketball.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

A lot of mothers want their kids to play sports but don't want them to get hurt. Hmmm... what's that leave?

Genius!! LostSailor just hit the nail on the head. Who woulda thought that all the American soccer moms could destroy soccer's toughness credibility singlehandedly??

How does the rest of the world like them apples?

The baseball part of your post cracked me up.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
well no one seems to be listning, so this is the last time i will say that the demands of aussie rules football are much greater then any of the other footballs.

this includes ball handling skills, althletic ability, agility, jumping ect,
by the way each quater goes for 25 minutes, plus time on. 120 minutes on feild is common.

also because the game can change direction so fast, every player must be able to adapt and react to the new game very fast.

unlike soccer, where you can kick it back and wait, or american football, where there are set plays you memerise, and its over in under a minute.

but like before you dont care, so i will just sit back and be smug in the knowlage our game is not only aestheticaly better to watch, on account of the high marks, tackles, long kicks runs ect, (which sadly you will never know) but physically more demanding then any other of your games.

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Soccer is still popular in the US... A lot of mothers want their kids to play sports but don't want them to get hurt. Hmmm... what's that leave?

Soccer... Baseball (which is probably more dangerous then soccer)... and basketball.

True soccer is the most popular youth sport in the US, that is a fact. As for the baseball part, dont agree with that. If you've ever played soccer you would know your legs and shins and beat to death by the end of a game. Also look at some baseball players they are fat ass@s! No fat soccer players, cricket players arent too chubby either, but that's another thread.
Also when did injury and pain excerted become the highwater mark for sport? This is a weak arguement, if that is the case why isnt UFC, kickboxing, boxing, cock fighting etc. The world's largest sports?
Lovin this thread though as it goes and goes...

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 03:58 AM
link   

We probably have the best soccer player in the world playing here in America and his name is Freddy Adu.

Ahem, two words:

Wayne

Rooney.

That probably just became a "definately don't" :w:

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Adu cant win on his own. Same as Rooney wont win it for England. Or Ronaldinho for Brazil. Or Ronaldo for portugal. Or Henry for france.........
Even in his heyday, Pele couldn't have won a thing without his team behind him.
And if Adu is so good, why isn't his name on the shortlist for the world football player of the year award?

What? You mean like this?

When the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association passed a rule requiring high school soccer players to wear mouth guards in 1999, Amherst-Pelham Regional girls coach Derek Shea remembers joking about what changes would come next.

"When mouth guards came up, we sat in the (coaches) meeting laughing, and someone said, 'helmets are next,'" Shea said. "I said that was ludicrous."

Ludicrous or not, soccer players on all levels from youth league to college could be required to wear helmets under legislation currently being considered in the Statehouse.

clicky (but you Americans might want to put some protective gloves on before you touch your mouse bless ya cotton socks)

LMFAO! you really are a bunch of hard nuts in the US arent ya? what next? armour? tights? Yeah, you lot keep taking the mickey about 'soccer moms' and all the rest of it, while trying to change the game in to a watered down version of the game the rest of the world plays. Oh I almost forgot, you've already done that haven't you? at least twice
You'll probably want winners medals changed to rings next! Fekking rings! what do the runners up in the Superbore get? a handbag? make up set? a nice new star spangled dress? or maybe a corset to hold in all that *ahem* relaxed muscle......

Soccer does need some more toughness in it... Thats my humble opinion.

yeah right....toughness......as in armour presumably........we got your 'toughness' right here

[edit on 15-12-2005 by ridcully]

[edit on 15-12-2005 by ridcully]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Haha... Nah man... Massachusetts is like the most liberal friggin state in the US. Thats about the only place I could see them even attempting to pass a bill like that. Probabaly a bunch of soccer moms trying to make their kids even safer.

The mouthguards... well... Americans have always been a bit more picky about how our teeth look heh?

And yes... Soccer does need some toughness and action added to it. I'm on holiday right now and don't have much to do during the day. I was channel surfing and couldn't find anything on TV accept a soccer game. Some Liver and Onions team versus Marlborough (spelling) cigarettes or something like that.

It was like 90 minutes of watching a ball bounce around... Thats it? Thats what you guys get so worked up about? I had to turn it off... It was putting me to sleep.

If I am going to watch soccer... Its gonna be this league.

www.misl.net...

Notice the recent MISL scores.... They play on a covered Ice hockey rink and are allowed to knock other players off the ball. Yeah... They are allowed to check!!! Its actually exciting to watch!!!

[edit on 15-12-2005 by LostSailor]

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Tiddly54 i agree with you our "football" is probably the most unsafe and fun to watch "football" there is.AFL has some of the best tackles ever, mid air colisions and general brawling.The crowd isn't as violent as the british and the game is constant unlike the americans.
The only thing wrong with it is that Sydney beat West Coast in the Grand Final

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
well no one seems to be listning, so this is the last time i will say that the demands of aussie rules football are much greater then any of the other footballs.

I'm listening man. I've already said that Aussie rules is head and shoulders above soccer, but I'm not going to put it in the same league with American football. Our game is played like a real war is fought, in a civil, sportsmanlike manner of course. We have our Eisenhowers on the sidelines and we have our Pattons on the field. American football is a strategic battle.......a battle of wits with the physicality mixed in. Aussie rules is a bunch of guys running around aimlessly trying to jump on the dude with the ball. You don't even throw the ball, you volley it. What's up with that? We have babes in bikinis doing that on the beach here in America. Ours is a game of controlled aggression. Yours is a game of bedlam. It's like inmates taking over the asylum. It's fun to watch but not very thought provoking.

BTW, there is some great smack being run by both sides in this argument. Really funny stuff! Thanks for adding humor to this thread.

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The mouthguards... well... Americans have always been a bit more picky about how our teeth look heh?

Touche! *golf clap* (your still girls for wearing them tho!)

If I am going to watch soccer... Its gonna be this league.

www.misl.net...

Notice the recent MISL scores.... They play on a covered Ice hockey rink and are allowed to knock other players off the ball. Yeah... They are allowed to check!!! Its actually exciting to watch!!!

[edit on 15-12-2005 by LostSailor]

Agreed, but its played on a pitch, what, a quarter size? Of course you'll get more goals. And you can body check in football, as long as your trying to play the ball. Not the player.

Seriously though (as if thats even possible in this thread!), have any of you guys checked out who the USA has got in next years world cup? What do you think of your chances? You never know, you may even start to enjoy the game a little bit when you've got a team to really shout for!?
Groups & Standings

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Dude, we're gonna get smoked by Ghana! We'll once again be the laughing stock of soccer in the eyes of the world and then we won't have to deal with soccer cluttering up our sports pages until the next World Cup.

GO GHANA!!!!

Peace

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Dude, we're gonna get smoked by Ghana! We'll once again be the laughing stock of soccer in the eyes of the world and then we won't have to deal with soccer cluttering up our sports pages until the next World Cup.

GO GHANA!!!!

Peace

I seriously doubt that chap. I think you'll have a good cup run, quarter finals I reckon. Then we'll have loads of yanks playing in the English leagues!!

posted on Dec, 15 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   

GO GHANA!!!!

Peace

LETS GO GHANA!!! I don't wanna hear about this soccer crap anymore than you Doc...

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   

LETS GO GHANA!!! I don't wanna hear about this soccer crap anymore than you Doc...

Put your helmet and armour on then.........good sound proofing I hear.....drowns out all the yawning, snoring and flatulance between plays..aparently you cant hear the crowd either?...hey, why not go the whole hog, put your tights on too, you know, just for that special feeling you wankball freaks enjoy......might help stop any UFIA's you might get too........perhaps mommy will let you wear her superbore jewellery too........

[edit on 16-12-2005 by ridcully]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
All hail soccer(football). Ve vill take over de vorld and force those Amerikans to watch this great sport!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
ridcully

You don't really want to go down the "Superbore jewelry" road...........do you?

Our players get:

and

and

Your players get:

Whack medals?!?!

Scoreboard!

Peace

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Dr Love]

[edit on 16-12-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 16 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Soccer is a game of speed and skills with your legs. American football is a game of speed, hand eye coordination, more timing, arm, leg and full body strength. American football is far more superior in terms of athletes. Show me a 6"6" 320 lb soccer player who can run a 4.7 40, bench 400 and squat 600.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join