It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
Now I aint too keen on American football and I think rugby is far harder a sport, but take a look at this guy. If anyone earns my respect its this man. If only I had a 1/4 of his courage I would be a happier man!

I read an article of him in SI, the reff would not allow him to play because he was not wearing any cleats. So he strapped a pair to his belt and went back out to play. Still would not allow him on the field.

This guy took alot of heat for his judgements. I have a picture of him hanging in my office at work. I always take the pictures out of my SI mags and hang them up at work in my office, hes on my wall at the moment.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Who is that? That's pretty freakin' amazing!

I heard on ESPN last weekend that a couple of Euro teams were crawling all over each other to sign American Freddy Adu. It was Chelsea and another team I can't remember. I guess DC United didn't want to lose their meal ticket so they forked over the money even though he's basically coming off the bench. Yeah, he must be some kind of crappy player.

BTW, I see AMM has been banned so American football fans have taken another hit.

Peace

I've never said he was crap, he looks quite useful to me. There were a few clubs after him sure, but Chelsea especially have a history of paying mega bucks for what, essentially, is a second string player. Shaun Wright Phillips, one of the best players in England IMO, has never tied down a regular starting place, even after they paid £18,000,000 ($31,300,000) for him. And you would have to have your tongue firmly planted in cheek to claim Feddys American, surely. Even Greg Rusedski has more claim to being British than Freddy has to claiming he's American!!

Shame about AMM, didn't always agree with what he posted around here, but entertaining none the less

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I heard on ESPN last weekend that a couple of Euro teams were crawling all over each other to sign American Freddy Adu. It was Chelsea and another team I can't remember. I guess DC United didn't want to lose their meal ticket so they forked over the money even though he's basically coming off the bench. Yeah, he must be some kind of crappy player.

Funny, I Google Fred, and don't find the story. Google News

Maybe they're just making it up to make you lovely americans feel better.

HEY. It is a shame about AMM too. I mean, He may not have been entirely accurate in my opinion, but I do love a good bout of handbags from time to time.

[edit on 10/4/06 by Implosion]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Google 'freddy adu transfer' and you get what you need!

[edit on 10-4-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I heard on ESPN last weekend that a couple of Euro teams were crawling all over each other to sign American Freddy Adu. It was Chelsea and another team I can't remember. I guess DC United didn't want to lose their meal icket so they forked over the money even though he's basically coming off the bench. Yeah, he must be some kind of crappy player.

Isn't he from Ghana or some other African country? Why do you support him so much?

Besides, he wouldn't be the first crappy player to arrive to Europe as a promising star. (I'm not saying he is crappy, actually I've never seen him playing. Too little MLS is shown down here in South America, I already have enough trouble with my own team)

This is going to be the biggest star of all times:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Google 'freddy adu transfer' and you get what you need!

[edit on 10-4-2006 by ridcully]

I have, not see the link? Look sorry, he's always been linked with somemove somewhere totally unrealistic, like AC Milan, or Chelsea, but until he holds down a starting place in the joke MLS, then its all American self delusion. No one wants him he's crap. DaMarcus Beasley would be a better buy for heaven sake.

Originally posted by Peronemlin

Isn't he from Ghana or some other African country? Why do you support him so much?

Yes he's Ghanaian.

This is going to be the biggest star of all times:

Looks like we found a hole in your otherwise sound Football knowelege here Peronemlin. Surely you meant:

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Looks like we found a hole in your otherwise sound Football knowelege here Peronemlin. Surely you meant:

Implosion, you really need to see someone who can intervent with your drug problem if you think Rooney is the best!

Peace
McP.

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto

Implosion, you really need to see someone who can intervent with your drug problem if you think Rooney is the best!

Peace
McP.

NONSENSE

Wayne's a bleeding genius, and he never stops improving. If there's one person ready to take Ronaldinhos crown, it's Rooney.

There's a lot of good young players, but there's only one Wayne Rooney, and he will be the best :bash:

[edit on 10-4-2006 by chebob]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Rooney better than Messi...? come on!!
I could accept that from our american friends, but you guys? I thought you knew about football...

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I could accept that from our american friends, but you guys? I thought you knew about football...

Messi is definately a good player, with incredible potential, but he doens't strike me as a better player than Rooney, nor does he show more potential, IMO.

But then, I'm a United fan....if you ask me, Rossi and Park have more quality than Messi

I just hope he doesn't do a Shawn-Wright Phillips, otherwise he really will have wasted his talent......IMO.

[edit on 10-4-2006 by chebob]

posted on Apr, 10 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

Messi is definately a good player, with incredible potential, but he doens't strike me as a better player than Rooney, nor does he show more potential, IMO.

But then, I'm a United fan....if you ask me, Rossi and Park have more quality than Messi

chebob, It's your statement there that says it all for me. "I'm a United fan" [which United you arrogant git? Colchester United?] I hate ManUSA, which is why I posted a pic of our Wayne in an England strip. Man, it pains me to sing his praises, but credit where it is due, he will be the greatest striker, and we all get to watch.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Anyone hear Glazer calling ManU a 'franchise' today? ooohh thats gotta hurt! Whatever though, Rooney, if he fulfills his potential, will be one of the best players the game has seen. Just remember, at 20 hes got another 3 world cups in him, plenty time to prove himself

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   

chebob, It's your statement there that says it all for me. "I'm a United fan" [which United you arrogant git? Colchester United?]

Haha, but there is only one United! Manchester UNITED! Even Newcastle aren't worthy of the title, and are better refered to as "Those lazy black and white stripey gimps".

Just like there is only one City.....Cardiff City!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Anyone hear Glazer calling ManU a 'franchise' today? ooohh thats gotta hurt!

Meh, the only people that hurts are the Anti-Glazer Minions. They "love" their club, yet are unwilling to give new owners a chance. We've hardly crumbled since the takeover, the Money is still available and the team is getting better again.

If we go into Meltdown, we'll have every reason to want that fat leprechauns head on a stick, but up until now he hasn't done any damage. The Tabloids would disagree....but the tabloids are 10% truth, 90% BS. Nobody wants him at the top, but the "massive" loans have hardly crippled us, and our form is a lot better than it was in the last 2 years.

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

chebob, It's your statement there that says it all for me. "I'm a United fan" [which United you arrogant git? Colchester United?]

Haha, but there is only one United! Manchester UNITED! Even Newcastle aren't worthy of the title, and are better refered to as "Those lazy black and white stripey gimps".

Here you go chebob, because I like ya:

Newcastle United 5 - 0 Man Utd

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Nice game.....but Newcastle are forever "our" bitches, and always have been since Keegans infamous Implosion

"I would LOVE IT if we beat them"..................AH, Well done Keegan, you mad little fool. I don't think Newcastle have recovered yet

posted on Apr, 11 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sorry, I have been so damn busy lately... What happened to AMM? Also, what the hell are you people talking about?

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Football (Soccer) must be the superior sport... why?

It's the preferred sport of God and The Messiah. And even Thor has been known to use his hammer for footie every now and again (I was right behind the goal for that one).

I rest my case
(Go on... guess who I support... whoever wins gets to make me a cuppa)

Also, whilst the thread is momentarily on topic, I'm not sure if anyone has posted this advert, lol, makes me laugh everytime it's on tv.

But about this discussion... I personally think it's damn near impossible to translate footie (soccer) to somebody on the 'outside' who isn't passionate about any team in particular (and I'm sure it's the exact same thing for Yank Hand-and-foot-every-once-in-a-while-ball). Sure you can describe the skills, athleticism, tactics, manliness (or lack thereof). But it's the unpredictability and the tribal-like experience that comes with it that makes it so popular I think, not to mention the great accessibility of it (you don't even need goals to play it... just a ball and some mates to have a kick about with). Also the feeling you get in the crowd when singing along in unison with tens of thousands of people, all hoping to telekinetically will the ball into the opponents net lol.

... oh and the bragging rights after beating the bitter bluesh*te in both derbies

As a fan of football since I was a child, I find it hard to understand how anybody can not like it... but then again I don't particularly like the other sports (apart from boxing) so each to their own. You'll never persuade enemies of the game, so why bother to try? Let 'em get on with there's.

On a side note, I don't like american football but there's worse stuff out there, I mean cricket should just be banned from tv altogether, it's fun to play but I'd rather watch the BBC's old 'girl and clown' screen that would appear after the programmes had finished lol. AND!.... what's with England celebrating winning the Ashes as if we'd beaten the world... Honours and all... and now they've gone back to being sh*te again as usual, it's embarrassing.

/rant

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Mickey!

With the World Cup 57 days away, Owen, 26, has worn his football boots for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot on 31 December 2005.

Great news. Our golden boy Mickey is on course. He doesn't look like much does he? You wouldn't think that this summer, the cream of world footballing community will be ripped apart by that little bloke. Still that's the way it's going to go down. You heard it here first.

posted on Apr, 14 2006 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Mickey!

With the World Cup 57 days away, Owen, 26, has worn his football boots for the first time since breaking a bone in his foot on 31 December 2005.

Great news. Our golden boy Mickey is on course. He doesn't look like much does he? You wouldn't think that this summer, the cream of world footballing community will be ripped apart by that little bloke. Still that's the way it's going to go down. You heard it here first.

Him and Peter Crouch (hey stop laughing!) up front

I'm still amused that he left Liverpool to go and win things with Real Madrid, and... had to watch us win the European Cup whilst he spectacularly won... well... nothing
*applause* played Mickey lad.

new topics

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join