It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by ridcully
Sissys, yeah right. At least we got the balls to play other countries at team sports. And not throw our toys out the pram and pretend we dont care when we lose. I suppose theres plans to allow a few more Cubans into the USA now? At least you might not get your asses handed to you in baseball again eh? I mean, if you let them in, slap on the stars and stripes, you can claim they were yours all along right? Maybe let a few Japs in too, I hear theyre quite good. Dont care though I take it? Just carry on playing with yourselves in the deluded idea you really are the best of the best

[edit on 23-3-2006 by ridcully]

We didn't play Cuba, and we beat Japan. But don't let the FACTS get in the way of anything...

Err you do know how knockout tournaments work don't you? The winners progress and the losers go home, thats how it works. So, in fact, both of them DID best you. Whether or not you played or beat them along the way is irrelevent, because they both got to the final, and the US went home early. But don't let the FACTS get in the way of your blind belief that the US is best at everything

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
we're not the best at EVERYTHANG, but we damn sure be da best at football!

well soccer, uh...not so much !
go football!

football in the olympics in 2008?

i can't believe this thread has went on for 46 pages. geez. we got some strong opinons bout socccer/football.

[edit on 24-3-2006 by DirtyBoots]

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   

BTW - can one of you Euros explain what is up with ALL soccer players having RETARDED hair cuts.

Not all of them have retarded hair cuts, its just a small percentage.

By the way, I was talking about Zidane when he was in his prime, ronaldinho is a superd player!

Lack of co-ordination you say? You try to find me a video of George Best or Jinky Johnstone tripping over them-selves.

Its not my fault that yous got mauled by Germany!

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Dr Love- we get excited becasue of our love for our team i support Southampton my home town who have just been relagated but i love them as much as i did when we were in the Premiership. Also when it come to the national games there is nothing better than seeing the players fighting for there country knowing how important it is to the people.

posted on Mar, 24 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   

You think soccer is a "fluid" sport???

Give me a break. of a 90 minute game, 75 minutes are played in the mid field with the two teams trying (in vain of course) to get control of the ball.

Stop watching MLS, and watch real football...

Surely, in your distorted reality, you must believe American Football is more fluid...

I guess that's why many of them are drafted to play proffesional baseball...

And you say Football is boring? Baseball is more boring than watching grass grow.

BTW - can one of you Euros explain what is up with ALL soccer players having RETARDED hair cuts.
WTF is up with this?

Well, I'm not euro, but what I can say is that yes, he is retarded.

So is him

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ridcully
Err you do know how knockout tournaments work don't you? The winners progress and the losers go home, thats how it works. So, in fact, both of them DID best you. Whether or not you played or beat them along the way is irrelevent, because they both got to the final, and the US went home early. But don't let the FACTS get in the way of your blind belief that the US is best at everything

So by that logic, I guess the US is better then almost every European soccer team, seeing as how we made it farther in the last world cup then most of them?

Get a grip... This was a US baseball team without Bonds, without Wagner, and without many, many others.

That's like Brazil playing without Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Robinho, Carlos, etc etc etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
Not all of them have retarded hair cuts, its just a small percentage.

By the way, I was talking about Zidane when he was in his prime, ronaldinho is a superd player!

Lack of co-ordination you say? You try to find me a video of George Best or Jinky Johnstone tripping over them-selves.

Its not my fault that yous got mauled by Germany!

Yes. Soccer players make their money tripping over each other.

There is litterally a 100:1 ratio of trips to goals be every soccer player - and that's only for the world class strikers.

A good attacking midfielder like Zidane would be in the 150:1 range.

No one here cares if we get mauled by Germany. It's a friendly match without all of our best players. In fact, it should shame Germany that they couldn't get a first half goal. Their fans booed and hissed them for the first 45 minutes.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peronemlin
Stop watching MLS, and watch real football...

I don't watch MLS.

I watch La Liga and the Preimership

And you say Football is boring? Baseball is more boring than watching grass grow.

I completely agree. 100%. The fact is though, baseball requires more athleticism and coordination then soccer ever will.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
blahhh, who cares what the yanks think
- football (soccer) is the biggest played sport in the world, its the national sport of 95% of all countrys in the world.

the only reason americans don't like football (soccer) anyway is because they are useless at it!!

football is a game of skill, and skill is something 'an american' doesn't have

you carry on playing rounders (baseball) and wearing your helmets/knee pads/shoulder pads/arm pads (american football) and you'll be ok

next thing that will happen is, the yanks will call the MLS winners 'WORLD CHAMPIONS' lol (just like you do in with the NFL) - a sport which is only played in ^AMERICA^

as a nation you make me laugh, when does president schwarzenegger take over??

who will be the next one after him - president jean-claude van damme?

[edit on 26-3-2006 by st3ve_o]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
"Real men play football, Real smart men play soccer"
I think that this sums it all up don't you? La Liga de Mexicana is awesome, especially the Chivas.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by Senor_Vicente]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senor_Vicente
I think that this sums it al lup don't you?

Again, it takes far more brain power to play football then soccer...

Next

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I think that this sums it al lup don't you?

Again, it takes far more brain power to play football then soccer...

Next

That's why you have timeouts to think, in soccer we think while running the 7 miles a typical midfielder will run in a match.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That's why you have timeouts to think, in soccer we think while running the 7 miles a typical midfielder will run in a match.

Look, I've been over this argument at least twice now.

Football requires many times the cerebral capacity. There is no arguing it, there is no denying it. It's not even close.

2nd, soccer requires no more physical fitness then football. In fact, when you factor in the endurance of pain required for both sports, football requires more.

3rd, soccer players are a bunch of nancy boys, with nail polish and 300 dollar hair cuts.

4th, football players are FAR more athletic.

5th, soccer requires less skill.

You see we already went over all these points. The soccer fan boys basically admited defeat, and then tried to turn it into a Rugby vs Football debate, lost that too, then went for NASCAR vs F1. That's the one I'll give you guys. You have the better endurance car races.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Look, I've been over this argument at least twice now.

Football requires many times the cerebral capacity. There is no arguing it, there is no denying it. It's not even close.

LOL, you've been over it and still haven't shown how NFL players could possibly have any more intellect than an ant. You know steroid bulk does not equate to more brain power, rather shrunken balls.

What next, you're going to compare NFL players favourably to Einstein

[edit on 26-3-2006 by rogue1]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
LOL, you've been over it and still haven't shown how NFL players could possibly have any more intellect than an ant. You know steroid bulk does not equate to more brain power, rather shrunken balls.

What next, you're going to compare NFL players favourably to Einstein

[edit on 26-3-2006 by rogue1]

How many proffesional soccer players have a college degree? How many even attended college?

Do it by %.

Care to compare numbers? Of course not. Because not very many soccer players ever even attend college, while nearly 100% of NFL players went to college.

Ohhh, and as for ol' Albert...

I don't know if they can quite match his mental prowess, but a lot of NFL players come from VERY good schools.

Take for instance, Matt Leinart - a Heisman Trophy winner (college football version of soccers golden boot), and likely the #2 over all pick in the NFL draft (out of over 200 players). He had enough credits to graduate from USC after three years.

Another top 10 player this year, Jay Cutler, was smart enough to get into Vanderbilt.

Last years #1 over all pick, Alex Smith, had his BA in economics from Utah in just two years, and was working on his masters while playing college football.

I could go on and on, but there really isn't any need to.

As far as the actual sport goes, football is simply more cerebral. Any honest person who knows anything about both sports will tell you that.

Football is simply the most demanding team sport from a mental aspect in the world. It really isn't close.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   

How many proffesional soccer players have a college degree? How many even attended college?

Do it by %.

Care to compare numbers? Of course not. Because not very many soccer players ever even attend college, while nearly 100% of NFL players went to college.

And .... We all know about colleges faking results for AF players, so they can have a decent team playing in the local college bowl. I wouldn't class many american colleges as being the pinacle of education either.
Why are NFL so badly spoken - surely it's a reflection on their quality of education.
Then of course there's the question of just what sort of degrees these 'brains' are doing in college. There are plenty of courses for dullards in college.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   

And .... We all know about colleges faking results for AF players, so they can have a decent team playing in the local college bowl. I wouldn't class many american colleges as being the pinacle of education either.

What utter ignorance.

The NCAA regularly investigates grades and academic qualifications. Does soccer have any such thing?

Of course not!

Why are NFL so badly spoken - surely it's a reflection on their quality of education.

Or perhaps instead of growing up in white middle class suberbia they grew up in poor down town areas, and thus don't speak as elequently as others.

This has nothing to do with how smart they are. You simply can't go to a team like Notre Dame if you are an idiot. Doesn't happen.

Then of course there's the question of just what sort of degrees these 'brains' are doing in college. There are plenty of courses for dullards in college.

Yes, because while soccer players have ZERO higher education, football players have "questionable" degrees like economics, business, and such...

Please, just show me how many players in the premier league even went to college.

[edit on 26-3-2006 by American Mad Man]

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Don't play soccer, don't follow it. I'm more a AFL and Rugby Union fan.

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Don't play soccer, don't follow it. I'm more a AFL and Rugby Union fan.

Fine.

How many top flight pro rugby players go to college?

posted on Mar, 26 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Fine.

How many top flight pro rugby players go to college?

In Australia, most of them. Also private schools are teh main institutions which play Union and so have a very high quality education even without college.

new topics

top topics

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join