It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Why on gods green earth do you have a baseball World Series when only Yank teams compete in in it?

Why not? Most of the best players in the world play in the Major Leagues, so why not call it the "World Series"? There's Canadians, Dominicans, Cubans, Mexicans, Americans, Japanese, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, etc.. That sounds pretty worldly to me.

Peace

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Why on gods green earth do you have a baseball World Series when only Yank teams compete in in it?

Why not? Most of the best players in the world play in the Major Leagues, so why not call it the "World Series"? There's Canadians, Dominicans, Cubans, Mexicans, Americans, Japanese, Koreans, Puerto Ricans, etc.. That sounds pretty worldly to me.

Peace

You're missing out half the world there like Nigeria, China,France,Germany,Holland,etc etc

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

You're missing out half the world there like Nigeria, China,France,Germany,Holland,etc etc

Maybe if they put together some decent baseball teams it could expand... Can't blame us if the rest of the world doesn't want to participate. Right?

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostSailor

Maybe if they put together some decent baseball teams it could expand... Can't blame us if the rest of the world doesn't want to participate. Right?

The rest of the world does play the game, only they call it "Rounders" and all the participants wear pleated skirts. I'd back a few of the local girls school teams against any of your so called "world series" superstars.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Then why call it World Series?

Football (u.k) is clearly the more superior sport hence World Cup.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 04:03 AM
link   

It would seem that it already is LS. Check it out

But baseball can live without the Olympics — in fact, the inaugural 16-team World Baseball Classic will be played in March.

It's a different story, however for softball — the only women's-only sport in the games. The United States has won all three gold medals in softball, the sport is growing worldwide and the Olympics remains the highest goal for any player.

full story

So I can fully understand the anger directed towards the IOC for dropping the game from the London Olympics. Doesn't seem at all right to me, I think the IOC should support the game as it starts on its way to becoming a fully international sport

World Baseball Classic

Fair play to the Baseball authorities and fans. They used to show live games over here, at ungodly times though. Used to watch it when I was working shifts and did quite enjoy it. Used to like winding down by watching after a long day

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Speaking of baseball. Can't wait to run to the store today and try out this... The first ever college baseball simulator. I guess the graphics aren't top notch but the game plays smooth.

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
The rest of the world does play the game, only they call it "Rounders" and all the participants wear pleated skirts. I'd back a few of the local girls school teams against any of your so called "world series" superstars.

I think any of our high school girl softball players could pretty much dominate your game of rounders against the best women you got. Is that even a professional sport over there or is it just a pastime.

I was thinking about this, if we took our best major leage baseball playes and gave them a couple weeks to learn the game of cricket, they would dominate the best world cricket players at their own game. That's how good they are. Barry Bonds would step up there with his paddle and your pitcher or whatever the hell you call the dude who bounces it up there would drop a load in his white pants in complete fear.

Peace

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Didnt a team from another country win the 'world series' (giggling uncontrolablly). so the yanks threw their toys out of the pram and made it a US only affair? I heard that but not sure.

And on the subject of US Football, I have just watched 20 seconds of the 2006 Superbowl. How can a man waddle on the pitch, all 300 pounds of him, play 1.3 minutes, waddle off, and call himself an athelete?

Now if your gonna have a moan at me, first let me tell you that I played rugby. A game where you stay on the field for the full game, get the sh*t knocked out of you with no pads, and we were'nt full of steroids/painkillers either! Not run on for 2 minutes, may touch the ball/ may not! Run back off, have a break/drink/chat/wink to cheerleaders/bathroom etc etc.

Lets face facts, US style football is a joke.

P.S. Canadas Grey Cup was reported to be 10 times better than the SuperBowl...I dont know! I think they are both shyte!!!!

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Soccer is the only foot ball.
Why?
You use ONLY ur foot unless ur goaly unless your headbutting it or something

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Let's not forget the topic.
"There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!"
I think the rest of the world would not agree.

This is so easy to find out, just ask the rest of the world.

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Houston's new soccer team to change their name

They're less than two months from taking the field, but the team known as Houston 1836 may soon change its name. The 1836 is the team which used to be the San Jose Earthquakes, but the new name is causing a little controversy here in Houston.

"We had a direct conversation with the owner. He made a commitment to strongly reconsider a name change very soon," Garcia said. "It was close to (a sure thing) enough for me to feel confident that the name is going to be changed."

Commissioner Garcia's office told Eyewitness News that she had spoken to the owner of the soccer team in California and that the name will be changed. The names being considered are the Lonestars, the Generals, the Apollos, the Mustangs and the Toros.

full story

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yeah ridcully, I was going to bring that up.

The geniuses here took all but a few weeks to realize how retarded the name was and decided to change it. I heard on sports radio this morning that it will in fact be the Lone Stars.

On a side note, the Hispanic population in Houston was offended by the "1836" because it was when Texas won independence from Mexico. Seeing as how 99% of the fans of the new Houston soccer team will be Hispanic, that was a good enough reason in itself.

To use a Dennis Millerism, the guys that run that franchise make Mayberry look like a thinktank.

Peace

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I was thinking about this, if we took our best major leage baseball playes and gave them a couple weeks to learn the game of cricket, they would dominate the best world cricket players at their own game. That's how good they are. Barry Bonds would step up there with his paddle and your pitcher or whatever the hell you call the dude who bounces it up there would drop a load in his white pants in complete fear.

Peace

Probably not, i think Barry Bonds woud be Quaking in his boots if he was facing near hundred mile an hour bouncers(Lethal weapon of a fast bowler pitching short and rising chest, or even head hight a Bouncer can be bowled with a action of an out swinger or an inswinger. It could be tried with cross seam too.) from shaoib Akhtar or Brett lee,
I saw the usas cricket team at the last ICC championships they were dread ful to say the very least.
Still probably alot better than Englands Base ball team!

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Yeah ridcully, I was going to bring that up.

The geniuses here took all but a few weeks to realize how retarded the name was and decided to change it. I heard on sports radio this morning that it will in fact be the Lone Stars.

On a side note, the Hispanic population in Houston was offended by the "1836" because it was when Texas won independence from Mexico. Seeing as how 99% of the fans of the new Houston soccer team will be Hispanic, that was a good enough reason in itself.

To use a Dennis Millerism, the guys that run that franchise make Mayberry look like a thinktank.

Peace

I think out of the short list mentioned in the article, I like the Lone Stars the best. Has the best ring to it, and reflects Houston as the capital of Texas (it is the capital right?!) much better. Even here in blighty, everyone knows Texas as the lonestar state. Thats just my crap opinion though, and not worth considering. Glad to hear they've dropped that stupid 1836 name though! wtf were they thinking?

[edit on 15-2-2006 by ridcully]

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
With the love of ridiculous names prevalent in American sports, I'm quite surprised that they're not going to be called the Houston World Destroyers, or something of that ilk.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I just find this thread last night and find it really interesting

First of all:

There is only one kind of "football".........American football!!

So, if there is only one kind of football, why it is called American football? It should be called just football, as ours is called, why it is needed to specify its origin?

The reason because americans call it a girl's game, it's just because they can't play it. They don't have and will never have the class and skill to play.
"We can't play this game, so let's just say we find it boring".

Oh you Americans, you like sports with lots of points, you give your players points for everything. In Football the goal is a magic moment, it's a hard won reward, that's what makes it so special. Shouting a goal of your team is almost like an orgasm. to bad you can't feel the sport the way it must be feeled.

YEAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! go team nancy!!!

Originally posted by xeroxed88
Team Nancy? I'd rather have a team called "Nancy" than something completely camp like "Redskins"...

Actually there is a Football Club with that name, AS Nancy, from France.

Finally there are a few things I want to say:
1. We, here in South America, are the best football players of the world, European leagues would be crap without our boys.

2. Why? WHY??? Why are teams from United States playing the South American Cup? This I cannot understand. It took me a while to digest seeing Mexican Clubs when they start to play, but now this? I think CONMEBOL is in need of many many dollars.

3. Here's something for all the americans fans, from World Cup 98. Enjoy!
video.google.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
There is only one type of true football and it's the king of all sports, it's the most popular sport on the planet, it's viewd has the most popular sport on each continent of course exept north america.
Maybe it's not too late for you guys to get in touch with the rest of the world what can i say, no one calls it soccer, in every languege it's translated as FOOTBALL, but dont take my word for it ask the planet.
American football is an invention of the real football and rugby.
If it wasnt for football american football would of never existed.
I understand when one trys to contradict a nation but the whole planet cant be rong.

Get in touch with the world, and start playing the real football.

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
First, I'd like to thank Peronemlin for breathing new life into this thread with:

Originally posted by Peronemlin
We, here in South America, are the best football players of the world, European leagues would be crap without our boys.

My European friends ought to have a field day with that. Play nice now boys!

This is even funnier:

Originally posted by Peronemlin
Shouting a goal of your team is almost like an orgasm.

This coming from a fan of a sport in which the announcer screams the word "GOAL" for twenty minutes after one freakin' score!

Peace

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Just as a reminder.

Sunday, Feburary 19, 2006 at 1:00 P. M. EST.

Only on NBC (just great)

The Super Bowl of stock car automobile racing.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join